• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

IRS "loses" Lois Lerner e-mails from illegal targeting scandal

UNCG Deac

Reaction score
Lyndon Johnson once said, "The first thing Democrats do when they take power is find where the control levers are. But the first thing Republicans do is investigate Democrats."

The Internal Revenue Service told Congress Friday it has lost a trove of emails to and from Lois Lerner, a central figure in the agency's Tea Party controversy, sparking outrage from congressional investigators who have been probing the agency for more than a year.

The IRS said it cannot locate many of Lerner's emails prior to 2011 because her computer crashed during the summer of that year.

Lerner headed the IRS division that processed applications for tax-exempt status. The IRS acknowledged last year that agents had improperly scrutinized applications for tax-exempt status by Tea Party and other conservative groups.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...nnot-locate-lois-lerner-emails-prior-to-2011/

Last edited:
What is the government's policy on saving emails?

The IRS, however, has been able to recover about 24,000 pieces of Lerner-related correspondence between January 2009 and April 2011 by searching the emails of other IRS employees where Lerner was on the email chains, according to the letter.
“In all the IRS has produced or will produce or make available approximately 67,000 emails in which Ms. Lerner was an author or a recipient,” wrote Leonard Oursler, who heads up congressional affairs for the IRS, in the letter.

The IRS explains in the letter that it has not always backed up all employee emails due to the cost the agency would incur for allowing 90,000 employees to store their information on the IRS’s internal system.
Currently, IRS employees have the capacity to store about 6,000 emails in their active Outlook email boxes, which are saved on the IRS centralized network. But the letter and background document sent to the Hill Friday said they could only store about 1,800 emails in their active folders prior to July 2011.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/irs-lois-lerner-email-107850.html#ixzz34cL5lDf6

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/irs-lois-lerner-email-107850.html#ixzz34cL5lDf6

So to Faux News and the GOP persecutors 67,000 emails isn't enough.

What's amazing and perfectly expected is that the person who was directly in charge of this non-event has already testified under oath as to exactly what happened.

The evidence shows the only group denied status was a liberal group.

But don't don't let facts get in the way. Issa would rather lie and ruin people's lives than tell the truth.

Lerner and other innocent called before Issa's committees should be able to sue personally for their legal costs and for defamation of character. There's no reason he should be above the law.

So the government can search your emails without permission, but is having some degree of difficulty searching its own under the law's direction that it do so.

Nothing suspicious about that at all. And yet RJ will defend. RJ will always defend.

Last edited:
So to Faux News and the GOP persecutors 67,000 emails isn't enough.

What's amazing and perfectly expected is that the person who was directly in charge of this non-event has already testified under oath as to exactly what happened.

The evidence shows the only group denied status was a liberal group.

But don't don't let facts get in the way. Issa would rather lie and ruin people's lives than tell the truth.

Lerner and other innocent called before Issa's committees should be able to sue personally for their legal costs and for defamation of character. There's no reason he should be above the law.

#moderate

RJ maybe when you finish slobbing Obama's knob you can wipe the jizz from your eyes and see a little more clearly on some things.

So the government can search your emails without permission, but is having some degree of difficulty searching its own under the law's direction that it do so.

Nothing suspicious about that at all. And yet RJ will defend. RJ will always defend.

No not really. The government would have a hard time searching my five year old emails because they aren't on any kind of accessible server

RJ maybe when you finish slobbing Obama's knob you can wipe the jizz from your eyes and see a little more clearly on some things.

You have really gone off the reservation. Or maybe not thinking Obama is the anti-Christ makes you act like a total idiot.

The people DIRECTLY involved with the IRS non-event HAVE testified multiple times to multiple committees. There is NO evidence that Obama, the WH or any senior people at the IRS had anything to do with this.

Maybe if you weren't looking for a tree to lynch Obama over every sneeze in the country, you'd be rational about this or other non-events.

P.S. I didn't kick your dog or fuck your wife.....those are the only things I could would make lose your mind the way you have lately. It used to be that we would disagree but be civil. Lately, you've been a total asshole...it doesn't have to be that way.

Last edited:
You have really gone off the reservation. Or maybe not thinking Obama is the anti-Christ makes you act like a total idiot.

The people DIRECTLY involved with the IRS non-event HAVE testified multiple times to multiple committees. There is NO evidence that Obama, the WH or any senior people at the IRS had anything to do with this.

Maybe if you weren't looking for a tree to lynch Obama over every sneeze in the country, you'd be rational about this or other non-events.

P.S. I didn't kick your dog or fuck your wife.....those are the only things I could would make lose your mind the way you have lately. It used to be that we would disagree but be civil. Lately, you've been a total asshole...it doesn't have to be that way.

Even though this particular tirade wasn't directed at me, I feel the need to point out that you've concocted a versions of events that Hillary isn't even responsible for her own vote (a position so sycophantic that even she turns it down in her most recent book) for the Iraq War and she wasn't responsible for security staffing decisions for people in her own department who were asking her directly asking for more security, who subsequently died in a terrorist attack that everyone saw coming, and said so (which she subsequently lied about).

In a board full of Dem fanboys, you take the cake (up to and including hurling accusations of racism when you get cornered*) It's not even a matter of "If the shoe fits....", Nike is releasing a signature edition with your name on it.

* Make sure you pay Strick his royalties.

Last edited:
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...lois-lerners-emails-are-lost-is-ludicrous.php

This statement, on its face, is silly. Emails are collected on email servers. Each user (e.g., Lois Lerner) has an account on an email server, where that person’s emails are collected. It is common for emails to be deleted from the user’s own desktop or laptop computer, but no one worries about that. When it is time to collect emails–something I do all the time in my law practice–you go to the email server and pull out the user’s entire account. A crash of the user’s computer is irrelevant and will not cause emails to be “lost.”

Further, emails are universally backed up in some other medium, often electronic tape, for long-term storage. Thus, even if an email server is destroyed, or all emails are deleted from a server after a specified length of time, the emails are still recoverable from back-up storage media. The DOJ lawyer whom Scott quoted this morning was correct about this. The IRS, like virtually every other business or government entity, uses such a system. The Agency’s manual on “Managing Electronic Records” has been made public; you can read it here. A few relevant excerpts:

Take general ideas and make completely unrelated claims. Excellent student of "conservative" PR.

Every corporation I am aware of has a limited time period where emails are saved on the corporate email server. Usually a month or less. If you want to save emails from years ago, you have to create a separate folder in outlook and save them on a personal file or on your computer. I am not sure how long the government policy is on saving historical emails.

Every corporation I am aware of has a limited time period where emails are saved on the corporate email server. Usually a month or less.

1 month? I can't think of any corporation, from small business to publicly traded, that I've setup, worked for, or known of with less than 3 years. Hell, for a public company, SOX basically makes keeping everything a minimum of 5-7 years an absolute requirement. That said, there's no way the emails within the IRS are only stored for 1 month, and even if they aren't on the email server, they were almost definitely backed up on tape...if they weren't, it's absolute incompetence for their IT department.

And fortunately, should they have lied in their testimony, the electronic records that could prove them wrong have been "lost"...thankfully that doesn't happen here on OGBoards.com when you pull the same shit. OGB Search > IRS Email

1 month? I can't think of any corporation, from small business to publicly traded, that I've setup, worked for, or known of with less than 3 years. Hell, for a public company, SOX basically makes keeping everything a minimum of 5-7 years an absolute requirement. That said, there's no way the emails within the IRS are only stored for 1 month, and even if they aren't on the email server, they were almost definitely backed up on tape...if they weren't, it's absolute incompetence for their IT department.

That might be the case. I am talking about my access. I don't do IT.

Yes, we know the idea of admitting you are wrong even when it is apparent is foreign to you

As soon as it happens, you'll be the first to know. *hugs*

But seriously, they lying. The IRS makes me keep my own tax returns (something I've already shared with them once) for seven years. They can't keep their own emails for 3 years? #childplease

As soon as it happens, you'll be the first to know. *hugs*

But seriously, they lying. The IRS makes me keep my own tax returns (something I've already shared with them once) for seven years. They can't keep their own emails for 3 years? #childplease

Generally you only have to keep returns for 3 years for audit purposes for the IRS unless certain circumstances apply.

And I seriously doubt they are lying. Incompetence or poor IT resources would be a more reasonable explanation. Why would random government employees risk long jail terms to protect Lerner? IRS employees are not political appointees. They are career government people.

Last edited:
Back