• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time to move on from Jim Grobe?

Doesn't seem like there will be a ton of firings out there this offseason, so there'll be less competition than normal and maybe even Wellman won't be able to blow the hire.

Yeah, probably wishful thinking

2007 was supposed to be The Year due to the maturation of the Fresh Deacs and Ben Mauk (ha). We were a year ahead of schedule. Obviously it looked different than expected due to Skinner and the magnitude was greater than anyone imagined, but the success of the mid-late 00's was not out of thin air. That's a big contrast to 2014, where we're losing the kitchen sink.

Something a lot of folks forget. We wondered if Grobe take advantage of the experience and the schedule.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062504aaa.html
We had 2 games total against GT, VT, and Miami in 2006-08. That was the sweet spot. We took advantage of it.

Look closely at that future opponents chart. We repeated the 2006-08 schedule in 2011-13. The only difference is we gave up a game against UVa for Cuse. Still we had only two games against GT, VT, and Miami. We didn't take advantage of it. We lost to VT and Miami. We lost two to Duke. Took one from UNC and UVa though.

We face a similar reset as we did after 2008 but far less to show for it.

Can you imagine how bad we're going to be without KJ, Noel, and Wooding in the secondary?

Something a lot of folks forget. We wondered if Grobe take advantage of the experience and the schedule.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062504aaa.html
We had 2 games total against GT, VT, and Miami in 2006-08. That was the sweet spot. We took advantage of it.

Look closely at that future opponents chart. We repeated the 2006-08 schedule in 2011-13. The only difference is we gave up a game against UVa for Cuse. Still we had only two games against GT, VT, and Miami. We didn't take advantage of it. We lost to VT and Miami. We lost two to Duke. Took one from UNC and UVa though.

We face a similar reset as we did after 2008 but far less to show for it.

Can you imagine how bad we're going to be without KJ, Noel, and Wooding in the secondary?

Good point about the schedule. It's only going to get tougher with Notre Dame and Louisville becoming semi-regular opponents.

Good point about the schedule. It's only going to get tougher with Notre Dame and Louisville becoming semi-regular opponents.

I'm pretty sure Louisville steps right in for Maryland. They're regular.

Rest assured, the sob story we're going to hear is "Florida State, Clemson, and Miami" and the reason why we shouldn't expect anything from Wake football will be "Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville" with the occasional Notre Dame going forward.

I'm pretty sure Louisville steps right in for Maryland. They're regular.

Rest assured, the sob story we're going to hear is "Florida State, Clemson, and Miami" and the reason why we shouldn't expect anything from Wake football will be "Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville" with the occasional Notre Dame going forward.

It is hard for me to understand people who believe Grobe has another run in him. I see more evidence he wants to go.

Wellman will find us our football [Redacted]. Culture will abound and attendance will skyrocket.

What did we have to look forward to after 2005? That was a rough season and we ended up being magical.

They hitched their star to Tanner Price, he was a solid player but just never good enough. The offensive line didn't help him much but you never know. Teams are typically beholden to the ability of their quarterback, so I don't think its unfair to call a spade a spade.

I would note that people really thought a bowl in 2006 was possible. Our first 5 games were all very winnable.

What I would like someone to explain is why, with Vandy facing 4th down just before the end of the 3rd quarter with a stiff wind in Vandy's face, no one thought to call a time out to force Vandy to punt into the wind rather than letting the quarter expire so Vandy could punt with the wind. The only thing I can imagine is that Grobe was dreamily thinking of his post-game helping of butterscotch pudding, instead of giving us every opportunity to win the game.

That alone is a fireable offense.

People also forget that these guys had Riley 3rd on the depth chart. Without the injuries in front of him he never would've seen the field in his entire time at Wake.

What's the over / under on the amount of words he speaks during a game? 10? The majority of other teams' coaches are constantly chatting up the refs/players/and other coaches. Our guy just sits there picking grass. Bowden did the same thing at the end of his career but he had Jimbo...and Lobo is no where near that caliber.

But Jimbo was forced on him after he was forced to can his own son.

We need our Jimbo.

I really can't believe that there is any kind of debate about this. We literally are the only school in the country that employs a coach that's had 5 straight losing seasons.

What's the over / under on the amount of words he speaks during a game? 10? The majority of other teams' coaches are constantly chatting up the refs/players/and other coaches. Our guy just sits there picking grass. Bowden did the same thing at the end of his career but he had Jimbo...and Lobo is no where near that caliber.

Wasn't Bowden just sitting on a stool off in the corner of the field his season? I'd laugh my balls off if Grobe started doing that.

He just said what we all know! Wake will never make the commitment to winning football. The administrations have always accepted mediocrity and moderate success. Grobe will leave, if offered a buyout, he probably will make more staff changes; but the inability to recruit the players needed to improve the program will result in similar results. He is a great coach, but it's probably time for some other coach to give it a shot.

In his postgame comments yesterday Grobe himself said that we had no 2nd half offense (again).

Look for Grobe to run out his contract with a new OC in place next season.

Back