• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time to move on from Jim Grobe?

No way Grobe is forced out. He just started getting real heat from the fanbase this year.

The best we can hope for is Wellman gets bumped up the ladder somehow and someone with balls gets hired as AD.

You gotta give Grobe another shot w/ a new QB.

Its not like we're gonna attract a top talent coach so you might as well stick w/ a guy who's kept us competitive relatively speaking for the past 12 years.

If don't look good next season, its time to talk turkey.

You gotta give Grobe another shot w/ a new QB.

Its not like we're gonna attract a top talent coach so you might as well stick w/ a guy who's kept us competitive relatively speaking for the past 12 years.

If don't look good next season, its time to talk turkey.

This sounds like the rationale we've heard for retaining [Redacted] each of the past three years.

Why must we give Grobe a shot with another QB? No one forced him to keep the one he failed to develop over four years.

This sounds like the rationale we've heard for retaining [Redacted] each of the past three years.

Why must we give Grobe a shot with another QB? No one forced him to keep the one he failed to develop over four years.

I actually see good things going on down there on the football field where I don't see any semblence of a plan at all on the basketball court. Two very different things.

Bzzz has ZERO credibility, Grobe has 12 years of a track record that is mostly decent to good. Sometimes these 4 win seasons turn out to be a lot better if the ball bounces the right way. The defense was pretty good this season in my opinion.

I actually see good things going on down there on the football field where I don't see any semblence of a plan at all on the basketball court. Two very different things.

Bzzz has ZERO credibility, Grobe has 12 years of a track record that is mostly decent to good. Sometimes these 4 win seasons turn out to be a lot better if the ball bounces the right way. The defense was pretty good this season in my opinion.

Defense was pretty good. The offense was miserable. The offense has been miserable, with the exception of half a season, for the last 4 years. It's bullshit to blame that on a player. And what exactly do we have to look forward to next year? Best offensive player just played his last game. Best defensive player just played his last game. 4 year starting QB just played his last game. It's going to be rough out there.

Also, there are prob 500 candidates better than Bz out there.

Not sure there more than a handful of dudes right now that can step in at Wake and have another 12 years like Grobe just had.

Not sure there more than a handful of dudes right now that can step in at Wake and have another 12 years like Grobe just had.

I don't care about the 12 years. I care about next year. The recent past is a better indicator of the future than the distant past.

Defense was pretty good. The offense was miserable. The offense has been miserable, with the exception of half a season, for the last 4 years. It's bullshit to blame that on a player. And what exactly do we have to look forward to next year? Best offensive player just played his last game. Best defensive player just played his last game. 4 year starting QB just played his last game. It's going to be rough out there.

What did we have to look forward to after 2005? That was a rough season and we ended up being magical.

They hitched their star to Tanner Price, he was a solid player but just never good enough. The offensive line didn't help him much but you never know. Teams are typically beholden to the ability of their quarterback, so I don't think its unfair to call a spade a spade.

Yeah. Offense was awful. That's what we're talking about, right?

It wasn't great in 2008, 2007, or even 2006.

I don't care about the 12 years. I care about next year. The recent past is a better indicator of the future than the distant past.

I understand, totally get this feeling and trust me I want to be back to at least 7 wins a year, but I think Grobe still has got another year or two of excellence in him. Lobo needs to go prob

What did we have to look forward to after 2005? That was a rough season and we ended up being magical.

They hitched their star to Tanner Price, he was a solid player but just never good enough. The offensive line didn't help him much but you never know. Teams are typically beholden to the ability of their quarterback, so I don't think its unfair to call a spade a spade.

Did all of our best players graduate in 2005?

But the point is the Jim Grobe we have now wouldn't be in the handful. That's the relevant comparison.

Yeah. Offense was awful. That's what we're talking about, right?

It wasn't great in 2008, 2007, or even 2006.

Sorry..I meant defense was awful (or awful by Grobe standards..not as bad as '10 though).

And here's another reason to let Grobe have another year...yall really want our current AD to get to hire ANOTHER new coach for our 2nd major sport?

What if its his college roommate this time?

2007 was supposed to be The Year due to the maturation of the Fresh Deacs and Ben Mauk (ha). We were a year ahead of schedule. Obviously it looked different than expected due to Skinner and the magnitude was greater than anyone imagined, but the success of the mid-late 00's was not out of thin air. That's a big contrast to 2014, where we're losing the kitchen sink.

It is daunting to think about who is leaving, esp special players like Nikita and Camp

And here's another reason to let Grobe have another year...yall really want our current AD to get to hire ANOTHER new coach for our 2nd major sport?

It's sad, but this is by far the most compelling reason to keep Grobe and it has nothing to do with Jim Grobe himself.

Originally Posted by Go

It's sad, but this is by far the most compelling reason to keep Grobe and it has nothing to do with Jim Grobe himself.

AMEN!

Back