• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time to move on from Jim Grobe?

Oh and Fuck you, Ron Wellman. Fuck you for arrogance. Fuck you for your incompetence. Fuck you for your lack of caring. Fuck you.

i think back to the postgame interview after the state win where he thanked ron wellman for being such a great person to work for.

Ph is right about Grobe, and has been right for a long time. DC and Boogity are predictably full of shit when it comes to Grobe and all things LOWF, DC being less full of shit in this thread.

Ha. My posts on this thread are exactly the same as what I've posted before. It's 100% in line with what I said at the beginning of the year and at the end of last year. Grobe's strategy is about building a team with 5th year seniors and enough skill positions to win games. 2 years ago was a solid season with a Sophomore QB. Last year was a debacle but possibly understandable due to the injuries. Can't fire Grobe over that one but would have felt better with Lobo out. This year was the referendum - solid senior QB, solid RB in Harris, decent offensive pieces and a solid defense. As Dan Collins said - losing with this team is on Grobe.

I'd say stick to basketball commentary, but last I remember you were still singing the praises of Tony Chennault. Maybe stick to Nascar?

Not that the two are mutually exclusive, or even related at all really, but it would kinda suck if Grobe got fired before Buzz.

Not that the two are mutually exclusive, or even related at all really, but it would kinda suck if Grobe got fired before Buzz.

Probably related from a fiscal POV. [Redacted]'s buyout shouldn't be much (not for just a year), but paying Grobe $2M / year not to coach, plus [Redacted], say $500k, plus a new football coach $1.7M / year, well all that adds up and would likely make it hard to pay for the kind of basketball coach we all want (though probably aren't getting anyway).

Kind of hard to wrap your head around, isn't it. On the other hand, Buzz is poised to have a much less disappointing season than Grobe just had and his team has the potential to be even better next year. Next year's football team could be a disaster.

Ha. My posts on this thread are exactly the same as what I've posted before. It's 100% in line with what I said at the beginning of the year and at the end of last year. Grobe's strategy is about building a team with 5th year seniors and enough skill positions to win games. 2 years ago was a solid season with a Sophomore QB. Last year was a debacle but possibly understandable due to the injuries. Can't fire Grobe over that one but would have felt better with Lobo out. This year was the referendum - solid senior QB, solid RB in Harris, decent offensive pieces and a solid defense. As Dan Collins said - losing with this team is on Grobe.

I'd say stick to basketball commentary, but last I remember you were still singing the praises of Tony Chennault. Maybe stick to Nascar?

I forgot that "singing the praises of" is the only alternative to tearing down and talking shit about Dino recruits in your Bizzarro world where a bball coach with 60 wins in 3 seasons deserves to be fired, but a football coach with 5 straight losing seasons deserves to keep his job.

I forgot that "singing the praises of" is the only alternative to tearing down and talking shit about Dino recruits in your Bizzarro world where a bball coach with 60 wins in 3 seasons deserves to be fired, but a football coach with 5 straight losing seasons deserves to keep his job.

This. Search function is a magical thing...

Brace yourself: Coaching change silly season set to begin

"A well-placed ACC source says there's been no smoke around the league that Virginia's Mike London or Wake Forest's Jim Grobe will be fired. Of course, things can get weird on the Sunday after the season. Grobe has built up plenty of goodwill at a place where it's tough to win, but he's going on five years of middling results."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...elf-coaching-change-silly-season-set-to-begin

"A well-placed ACC source says there's been no smoke around the league that Virginia's Mike London or Wake Forest's Jim Grobe will be fired. Of course, things can get weird on the Sunday after the season. Grobe has built up plenty of goodwill at a place where it's tough to win, but he's going on five years of middling results."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...elf-coaching-change-silly-season-set-to-begin

Agree...I mentioned earlier this week to not be surprised if an announcement is made before Monday...

An announcement about an extension?

Fresno State's Tim DeRuyter, Ball State's Pete Lembo, Louisiana-Lafayette's Mark Hudspeth among popular mid-major guys search firms have been asking about.

I talked to a Fresh Deac guy last year in Charlotte and he wasn't impressed with Grobe and Co. even in his time at Wake.

Only at Wake Forest would 5 straight losing seasons be described as middling results.

No+Country+for+Old+Men+final+scene.png

Reactions: BDL
I hope it's on his own terms, mainly because of 2006. But yes, unquestionably it is. No Uncle Mo in this program right now.

I doubt Grobe goes anywhere, but if Wellman doesn't at least force Lobo out (Elrod needs to go as QB coach too), then it's yet another reason to shit on Wellman.

Only at Wake Forest would 5 straight losing seasons be described as middling results.

That's from an outsider. At Wake, it's historically competitive.

It would seem that there has to be major change in the staff. I would not term Grobe, but OC should definitely be on the table. However, it needs to be a transformational hire, not a shuffle of insiders or a third tier "warm body." Maybe an HC in waiting from the NFL or a former HC who still has fire in the gut. Gotta get out of the usual comfortable hire for current coaches and AD.

Back