• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time to move on from Jim Grobe?

I would not term Grobe, but OC should definitely be on the table. However, it needs to be a transformational hire, not a shuffle of insiders or a third tier "warm body." Maybe an HC in waiting from the NFL or a former HC who still has fire in the gut. Gotta get out of the usual comfortable hire for current coaches and AD.

Way to go out on a limb

Reactions: BDL
It would seem that there has to be major change in the staff. I would not term Grobe, but OC should definitely be on the table. However, it needs to be a transformational hire, not a shuffle of insiders or a third tier "warm body." Maybe an HC in waiting from the NFL or a former HC who still has fire in the gut. Gotta get out of the usual comfortable hire for current coaches and AD.

We need to fire our Jeff, hire our Jimbo, and plan for our Bobby's exit.

I was going to say coach in waiting never works, but I suppose it did work out there

It would seem that there has to be major change in the staff. I would not term Grobe, but OC should definitely be on the table. However, it needs to be a transformational hire, not a shuffle of insiders or a third tier "warm body." Maybe an HC in waiting from the NFL or a former HC who still has fire in the gut. Gotta get out of the usual comfortable hire for current coaches and AD.

The guy has led us to FIVE, count them, FIVE fucking straight LOSING seasons as head coach!! He has overseen absolutely HORRENDOUS recruiting and installed an abortion of an offense that cost us dearly early in the season. What will it take for some of you? Jesus H. Christ, pass the Tylenol.

Yeah, it is clear that Grobe is more of a "program manager" and is pretty much clueless when it comes to developing offenses, defenses, schemes, etc. As such, you HAVE to have strong coordinators. What we've seen the last 6 plus years is Lobo/Grobe/whoever just throwing spaghetti against the wall to see if they can blindly stumble into some sort of offense that works for a game or two before doing it again. A hands off head coach and weak coordinators is a sure-fire recipe for disaster, as we know all to well.

The guy has led us to FIVE, count them, FIVE fucking straight LOSING seasons as head coach!! He has overseen absolutely HORRENDOUS recruiting and installed an abortion of an offense that cost us dearly early in the season. What will it take for some of you? Jesus H. Christ, pass the Tylenol.

And he's a $100k a year away from being the highest paid coach in the ACC. That's way too much to go 3-9 or 4-8 every year.

What is Grobe's record the last 5 seasons as compared to Caldwell's last 5 seasons? I believe there were some mentions of it several games ago, but I can't recall what it was, and now that this season is officially over, I am curious as to where it finished up.

I think we pay our HC too much for this to happen.

I still don't understand the argument of letting Grobe stay if he fires the coordinators, they are there because he wants them there. It's his program. In my association with Wake football, I have never been happier with the first half of his tenure and more disappointed with the second half. We need a young passionate coach and some assistants that love to recruit and will go after talented recruits and won't back down from anyone.

I still don't understand the argument of letting Grobe stay if he fires the coordinators, they are there because he wants them there. It's his program. In my association with Wake football, I have never been happier with the first half of his tenure and more disappointed with the second half. We need a young passionate coach and some assistants that love to recruit and will go after talented recruits and won't back down from anyone.

Truth.

After him got paid he stopped coaching with his hair on fire. He stopped believing we could be better. The results are obvious. Complacent, rudderless teams the past 5 years with little to no consistent identity. Pistol? Option? Misdirection? Spread? Who are we and what are we doing? There is no way we could have recruited players that thrive in all the systems we have tried...especially in the o-line, which I think has a lot to do with the lack of success and depth at that position.

What is Grobe's record the last 5 seasons as compared to Caldwell's last 5 seasons? I believe there were some mentions of it several games ago, but I can't recall what it was, and now that this season is officially over, I am curious as to where it finished up.

Grobe is barely better by virtue of the 12th game against FCS teams.

I want Grobe to retire, Bz to resign and Wellman to be arrested on Federal charges of some kind forcing the BOT of fire him in the most humiliating way possible

I think we absolutely need to go outside the Grobe coaching tree, for sure.

We need some energy and swagger. Agreed.

Just got back to Tampa after a long vacation. I talked to a Vandy fan in the security line at RDU who noted my Wake sweatshirt. I congratulated him for having a real coach and a real program. Should have added not having a real athletic department.

We need to blow this thing up.

This is an update of what I posted 2 games ago....

After our 4-8 debacle this year here is how Caldwell and Grobe compare in their last five seasons at Mother So Dear.

Grobe
23-38 ---- .377 winning percentage
No winning seasons
No bowl wins

Caldwell
20-36 ---- .357 winning percentage
1 winning season
1 bowl win

The product on the field is complete dogshit and it's time for a change.

Last edited:
Plus we've won 4 FUCKING games after Oct. 31 over the past 5 seasons

Back