• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is it time to move on from Jim Grobe?

Could you tell me when I said Grobe wasn't the best coach we've had (wasn't around for Peahead so not counting him)?

How about when I said the OB wasn't an unthinkable height or that I didn't enjoy those sports moments?

When did I say he wasn't an ambassador for Wake or that he doesn't shape boys into men, value education, or foster character?

Use the search engine please.

Undefeated.

And as much as I hate to say it, it is time for a new direction. Now, I don't want Wellman making that call, so I'd rather wait it out until Wellman is fired/retired/called back by Satan.

I've said plenty of positive things about Grobe over the years. I respect what he did for the program and am disappointed that he can't keep doing it.

What exactly do you want Rico? You have lots of complaints about people's complaints, but what are your actual thoughts.

I'm grateful to our football staff for what they've accomplished here, although I'd love to win more games. And I'm very unsatisfied with the state of our basketball program, and I believe the firing of Dino is the reason we're in the shape we're in. I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed being ranked #1 in the nation and having nearly every game televised nationally.

According to Deman over on the 247 board, Grobe said today in his PC that...
it is too early yet to make major change decisions in the off season either in coaching or schemes.

How can 3 years too late posssibly be too early? I'm resigned to the idea that Lobo's not going anywhere. Neither is Buzz. WF: We're Fucked (again). Or maybe it's WFU: Wellman Fucked Us.

I'm grateful to our football staff for what they've accomplished here, although I'd love to win more games. And I'm very unsatisfied with the state of our basketball program, and I believe the firing of Dino is the reason we're in the shape we're in. I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed being ranked #1 in the nation and having nearly every game televised nationally.

Well the second part isn't really true, people just remember what they want to (nationally televised games have remained steady over the past few years, with the exception of last year - which is rightfully placed on [Redacted]'s ineptitude, not Dino being fired). It's also a false choice you're providing: being ranked #1 with Dino, or having [Redacted]. There's a third option, no Dino, and no [Redacted].

How can 3 years too late posssibly be too early? I'm resigned to the idea that Lobo's not going anywhere. Neither is Buzz. WF: We're Fucked (again). Or maybe it's WFU: Wellman Fucked Us.
That means Grobe ain't going nowhere, right?

Maybe he just meant until after the season is officially over. This is the optimist in me hoping something will be done.

That just means it won't be addressed until after the season.

As to the OP question: Yeah, it's probably time. Which is sad, because Grobe has, overall, been a great coach for us. Sometimes things just go stagnant even when you have good coaching. That said, I'd rather have Grobe stay another year or two if it means someone other than Wellman is picking the next coach. And for that matter, something is just plain wrong if Bz outlasts Grobe.

Yes.

He's far and away the best coach we've ever had. He took our program to previously unthinkable heights. He's indirectly responsible for the stadium upgrade, and directly responsible for some of the best sports moments I've ever been a part of. He's been a great ambassador for Wake Forest, and most players will tell you that he shapes boys into men, values education, and fosters character.

But he is loyal to a fault. The game of recent years has passed him by. It will always be a challenge to recruit to Wake Forest; the pipeline he has/had with Pahokee and Florida in general has been pretty great. I think the model is there for future coaches who can recruit 2/3 star, high-motor, medium talent guys and coach them up to be all-ACC type guys. For one reason or another, the fire does not seem to be there anymore.

I love coach Grobe and everything he's given to this school, but this year is a year too many of subpar performances.

I know Wellman seems to have lost sight of the importance of accountability, favoring instead some sort of stilted pride and loyalty. He may, in that sense, be falling victim to his own success, much like Grobe. Wake is a small school in a high major conference, and our set of challenges is unique and complex. Time to put a fresh face on our marquee programs and get us back to where we all know we can be.
. I agree except I think Grobe should be allowed to coach through the end of his contract and retire.

I have stated this before but I am fine with Grobe staying if he brings in a new OC. I am afraid he is too loyal to Lobo to do that, so in that case, he should probably hang it up. I could never support firing Grobe though.

Ph is right about Grobe, and has been right for a long time. DC and Boogity are predictably full of shit when it comes to Grobe and all things LOWF, DC being less full of shit in this thread.

I have stated this before but I am fine with Grobe staying if he brings in a new OC. I am afraid he is too loyal to Lobo to do that, so in that case, he should probably hang it up. I could never support firing Grobe though.

I find this statement very interesting because it seems to appear as a footnote to many posts. Jim Grobe essentially walked out on fans with little genuine or demonstrated interest in actually improving the program.
He's clearly shown that nepotism far exceeds the best interests of his employer and basically stands like a statue for 3 hours every Saturday on the sideline. As the CEO, he's overseen horrendous recruiting. Hell,
we reportedly have one commit who now doesn't even start for his high school team. How is this possible when recruiting for a BCS school?

So, during one of the worst economies in US history, when so many people spent hard-earned money with the expectation that the best coaching effort was being put forth to win, it was clearly not.
Why is there this footnote that Grobe is above being fired? I just don't get it. Until Wake alums and fans demand a higher level of performance, these types of circular arguments will continue season after season.

Core -- I understand what you are saying. After being a fan for 40 years, it is really hard to stomach the thought of Grobe being fired. That doesn't mean that I don't think he should be strongly encouraged to make some significant staff changes. If he refuses to do so, then it would be time to strongly encourage him to retire. I just hate the thought of Wake's greatest football coach being canned.

He'll should only be fired if he doesn't see that he's destroying what he built and retires on his own like Bowden and other greats before him.

Are we really not past the point of "pressuring" Grobe to make staff and coaching changes? Grobe is the last coach in the country still employed after 5 straight losing seasons, it doesn't get much more cut and dried LOWF then that. This isn't the University of Jim Grobe, at some point we have to gather what little pride we have in athletics and put the past behind us.

Exactly. He's had plenty of chances to right the ship and they've ended with 5 straight losing seasons, 2nd straight without a bowl, 2nd straight under 20 ppg, who knows how many straight with a pathetic running game, and we are losing several seniors and key positions who are going to be replaced by true sophomores and redshirt sophomores who haven't shown much on the field.

Herbert Hoover oversaw great economic prosperity until the crash. No one thinks he is a good president. Grobe oversaw a couple years of plenty until the crash. Why do we think he is a great football coach? A great football coach has continued success and creates a winning environment. Jim Grobe has not done this and has created an environment of excuse making. I shouldn't be surprised though because excuse making is a key ingredient of Wellminian politics.

Back