• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is McConnell ok?

I would like to know the rate of turnover in Congress now vs the past. My hypothesis is that both parties are much more risk averse in supporting unfamiliar challengers to familiar incumbents.

I'd agree with that.

I would like to know the rate of turnover in Congress now vs the past. My hypothesis is that both parties are much more risk averse in supporting unfamiliar challengers to familiar incumbents.
I think that's probably one factor of a few.

There are more safe districts, so there are fewer challenges from the other party, too. Both are products of polarization.

Increased life expectancy means people can stay in office longer and the voters are older and more likely to vote for their own.

For some perspective, McConnell is not a baby boomer. He’s too old.

If my rough math is correct, his day of birth is closer to the end of the civil war than it is to today.

Yep. We think about how old our leaders are but we don't think about when they grew up. Mitch had polio when he was a toddler. He grew up in Alabama, Georgia, and graduated high school in Kentucky in 1960. Safe bet he never attended an integrated school. It's probably only within the last decade or so that a fair amount of members of Congress attended integrated K-12 schools.

Willie Mays was still playing for the Giants when Feinstein was first elected to public office in SF. Willie McCovey was captain of the team when she was mayor.

Willie Mays was still playing for the Giants when Feinstein was first elected to public office in SF. Willie McCovey was captain of the team when she was mayor.
Willie Mays was playing for the New York Giants when Feinstein graduated from Stanford.

For a second, I feel a little bad laughing at these because my grandmother died from Alzheimer's and it's a terrible awful disease for the patient and their family, but then I remember it's Mitch McConnell and he deserves worse so I chuckle away.

For a second, I feel a little bad laughing at these because my grandmother died from Alzheimer's and it's a terrible awful disease for the patient and their family, but then I remember it's Mitch McConnell and he deserves worse so I chuckle away.
Same. Going through go this now with my mom and it’s hard, but also reinforces that neither they nor my mom should be in charge of anything, much less the government.

Capitol doctor says McConnell is suffering symptoms from the concussion he received from a recent fall.

C'mon man. That's not lightheadedness.

Back