• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is There Any Doubt Okla St Will Be #2?

Wins vs FBS teams with winning records: OSU has 7 and Bama has 3
2 minutes ago

dannykanell13 Danny Kanell
Conference champions: OSU 1 Bama 0
4 minutes ago
»

Wins vs bowl bound teams: OSU has 7 bama has 3
4 minutes ago

Wins vs current BCS top 25 teams: OSU has 5 wins to Alabama's 2 #stateurcase
5 minutes ago

I'm almost getting to the point where I'd rather them just name LSU champs and let Bama and OSU play each other in a bowl, since those are the two that are fighting back and forth so much about who is better.

I'm almost getting to the point where I'd rather them just name LSU champs and let Bama and OSU play each other in a bowl, since those are the two that are fighting back and forth so much about who is better.

Yeah I am with this, I was thinking about that last night where I am sure there would be people still upset even with a plus one but what if it was just a two game plus one. Number 2 and 3 play for the right to play number 1 who gets a bye as a reward for being number 1. Then their is still the incentive to get to number 1. The only real thing I think people can argue with OSU is their shittastic defensive rating. Having OSU play LSU would only be good if it was a close game or they win. If they end up getting ass raped, like most think, by LSU then it solved nothing.

I agree that they should get their shot at LSU. The plane crash thing is overplayed though. Their defense has been crap all year, which is why they lost to ISU. They played lights out last night for the first time all year. They had to in order to make the statement that they did.

USA TODAY coaches poll (points): 1. LSU (1475) 2. Alabama (1399) 3. Oklahoma State (1367) 4. Stanford (1286)

That's pretty damn close for OSU.

32 point difference...I'm not sure how much of an improvement that is from last week.

Last week OSU was 5th and 166 points behind Bama. It is going to go down to the wire and be decided by a narrow margin.

All I know is that I'm really looking forward to having this debate for the next FIVE WEEKS.

Then, the game will be played and one of two things will happen:

(1) LSU will win and everyone will acknowledge what we already know -- they are clearly the best team.

(2) LSU will lose. Then we can argue about whether or not they deserve to be national champions anyway.

So much fun conversation to look forward to.

1448f7n.jpg

I agree that they should get their shot at LSU. The plane crash thing is overplayed though. Their defense has been crap all year, which is why they lost to ISU. They played lights out last night for the first time all year. They had to in order to make the statement that they did.

Agree that defense has been the problem all year. Disagree that they played lights out defensively last night. It's not like OU couldn't gain yards. What OSU did well last night was what they've done well all season - take the ball away. That, coupled with Landry's gooberism, led to the beating.

Jerry Palm says based on projected computer rankings that OSU has to be 5 points ahead of Bama in the Harris Poll to be #2 in the BCS

I was rooting for the following, just to screw the BCS system:

LSU loses.
Oregon wins
VT wins
Okla St wins
Houston wins
Mich St wins

If that had happened, what do you do with LSU, Alabama, VT, Okla St, and Stanford all with 1 loss, and Oregon who won the PAC-12 and lost to LSU and USC, and Mich St who would have won the Big 10, and Houston undefeated? How could you possibly pick the best 2 and have any confidence that you national champion is the national champion?

You could make a good case for Alabama v. Stanford where neither team won their own conference. You could make a case for VT who split with the only Top 25 team they played all year, and if Clemson dropped out of the Top 25, then they would have no wins against against a team in the top 25 at the end of the year. Would Houston get a shot? THAT would have been messed up.

I will absolutely not watch LSU-Alabama again. They don't deserve it. We don't know they are the second best team in the country, and they already lost at home to LSU. We don't know that Okla St isn't the second best team in the country, and they punked Oklahoma and haven't had a chance to play LSU. Bama had their shot. Thanks for playing. Better luck next year scoring a single TD at home against LSU.

All I know is that I'm really looking forward to having this debate for the next FIVE WEEKS.

Then, the game will be played and one of two things will happen:

(1) LSU will win and everyone will acknowledge what we already know -- they are clearly the best team.

Actually, if they rematch Bama, and beat them, and OSU beats whoever they play, then the argument will never end. We will say LSU is better than Bama which we already knew, and maybe, probably better than OSU, but we never found out because we rematched instead.

So for the coaches poll 1/3:
1.000000 LSU
0.948475 Bama
0.926780 OSU

Most projections I've seen say Bama will be #2 in 2 out of 6 computer polls, and OSU will be #2 in 4 out of 6 computer polls

So the computer 1/3 would be:
1.000000 LSU
0.950000 OSU
0.930000 Bama

So then the average of those 2 components (2/3 of the total weight) would be
1.000000 LSU
0.939237 Bama
0.938390 OSU

Jerry Palm says based on projected computer rankings that OSU has to be 5 points ahead of Bama in the Harris Poll to be #2 in the BCS

Just to follow up on this, Okie State was 5th in Harris last week, and Bama was 2nd. Nearly impossible for them to jump Bama imo.

Back