• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ish Smith, 10 year NBA Veteran, Starting Point Guard for Washington Wizards

Ish is so well respected in the NBA. I wouldn't surprised if he becomes an NBA coach or maybe even GM.

Ish is so well respected in the NBA. I wouldn't surprised if he becomes an NBA coach or maybe even GM.

That may be in his future. I could see him set a new record of teams played for before he hangs up his sneakers. There will always be NBA teams looking for a backup PG/mentor/coach on the floor.

I see a lot of speculation that he wants to get into coaching, but I've never heard him express it. That said, NBA seems WAY more likely than college coach. The guy has been living out of hotels and a duffel for almost a decade and the entirety of his 20's and early 30's. If we're speculating, I can imagine, having earned $36 million and counting, that he might be looking forward to planting some roots and maybe finding a mate. An assistant job in college, jumping around every few years and living on the road recruiting doesn't sound like what I'd be looking for in his shoes, unless it's just so normal now that he likes it. If I were him, I think I'd buy a house, find a girl, and enjoy my early thirties for a least a year or three before having kids and finding something to invest my fortune in.

Yeah seriously. And after being on so many teams, he has way more contacts in the NBA than in college hoops.

4 guys on that team that have had a decade in the NBA and they still couldn’t beat Cleveland state

And that coach is the best one we’ve had in the last 12 years by far.

Yup. And it’s not even close. His assistants are better head coaches than the ones we’ve had the last 12 years

4 guys on that team that have had a decade in the NBA and they still couldn’t beat Cleveland state

That’s so depressing. I get the blues just thinking of how our last few actually good teams laid huge turds in the postseason.

I remember watching him at summer League before he showed up on campus. I was blown away by his speed. Such a nice dude too.

i remember seeing teague the summer before his freshman year go against ish and scrimmages...couldnt believe found someone as quick as ish but could also jump with anyone. gawd that team had talent

What kind of odds could you have gotten 10 years ago as Ish was finishing his Wake career that he would be playing, never mind starting in the NBA a decade hence.

It may be his second time around with the Washington Wizards, but Ish is once again projected as the starter while John Wall (out all season) and Isiah Thomas (out 6-8 weeks) rehab from injuries.

His NBA career is a tribute to his hard work, tenacity and taking advantage of opportunities as they arise. I believe this is his 11th team, so he has played for over 1/3 of the teams in the NBA. Nice writeup here about how Wizards will be OK with Ish as starting point guard to open the season.

https://wizofawes.com/2019/10/03/washington-wizards-good-enough-hands-point-guard-ish-smith/

This was nothing more than an elaborate PH call out thread.

FWIW, Ish has now made $23,981,480 in his career, and he stands to make $5.8 more this season.

Ish has earned the vast majority of his NBA income over the last 3 years:

2010-11 Memphis Grizzlies NBA $473,604
2011-12 Orlando Magic NBA $522,486
2011-12 Golden State Warriors NBA $116,768 (only played in the NBA for part of the season)
2012-13 Milwaukee Bucks NBA $854,389
2013-14 Milwaukee Bucks NBA $951,463
2014-15 Philadelphia 76ers NBA $981,084
2014-15 Houston Rockets NBA $981,084
2015-16 Philadelphia 76ers NBA $1,100,602
2016-17 Detroit Pistons NBA $6,000,000
2017-18 Detroit Pistons NBA $6,000,000
2018-19 Detroit Pistons NBA $6,000,000
Career (may be incomplete) $23,981,48

Wonder what the record for number of vet minimum deals is? Ish gotta be close to holding it. Looks like he had 6 or 7, depending on how you count the partial season, and year two. Is that as a vet or second part of two year rookie deal?

Last edited:
Mind blowing that Ish is scoring and shooting so well. He had a difficult throwing it in the ocean when he was at Wake. Nonetheless he was a solid player and a fan favorite...rightly so.

The Celtics are among the best defensive teams in the NBA, and Ish abused them throughout the 4th quarter last night. They had no answer. So fun to watch.

It's Ish and bunch of G League guys (Wall, Beal, Hachimura, Bertans, Bryant, CJ Miles, Mo Wagner are all out) and in the last week+, the Wizards have beaten Miami, Denver and Boston.

The Celtics are among the best defensive teams in the NBA, and Ish abused them throughout the 4th quarter last night. They had no answer. So fun to watch.

It's Ish and bunch of G League guys (Wall, Beal, Hachimura, Bertans, Bryant, CJ Miles, Mo Wagner are all out) and in the last week+, the Wizards have beaten Miami, Denver and Boston.

Ish doing with the Wiz crew what he did for Philly some years back. Make a bunch of guys who barely belong on the end of NBA benches into a semblance of a team that can play with most of the teams in the league on a given night. He does what a good point guard should do: make your team mates play better.

I wonder if Ish is going to be a HC or GM when he retires. He seems to have the ability to bring teams together.

Back