• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It appears official, let's get behind the Man(ning)!!!!!

Welcome Coach Manning. I hope that you become the best Wake basketball coach ever. I appreciate that you already know how to stiff Carolina and how to beat Duke in the big game. But you should be aware that the ACC is a very tough place to learn how to coach, and Roy and K are very tough to learn to recruit against. Embrace excellence and shun LOWF.

Welcome Mr. Manning. Fire Ron Wellman. (didn't someone say he hit his head during a biking accident several years ago?--he truly may have a traumatic brain injury).

Time to support the coach (not the AD) and start digging ourselves out of the Bzzz-Era. Hopefully we look back on this a few years from now and think Shaka-who?

Has he made an announcement? I must have missed that. If he has made the announcement, I'm in.

Be interesting how quickly we add a big man to next year's class. For me that's the one big expectation I have for Head Coach Danny Manning, bring in some good big men.

Like most I was hoping for the 'home run' hire, but I certainly will not hold that against Manning. Will support him 100% now that he's our coach. The bigger question, of course, is for the AD and what did we pay to get Manning here. If we paid a straight $2M for a coach that is on the rise but still has a lot to prove, that would bother me. If we paid $1M with lots of incentives I would feel like it was a fair deal.

Well, in all honestly there is no such thing as a home run hire until the coach actually proves it, so who knows maybe Manning ends up being a home run hire. Still would've been nice to get a Shaka or Greg Marshall though.

Has he made an announcement? I must have missed that. If he has made the announcement, I'm in.

I think ESPN is reporting it, not that that means it's a complete certainty, but sure looks like it.

Got to get behind him 100% and hope he can fix he mess that is WFU basketball

I'm having a tough time being ALL IN and appearing to condone Wellman's actions at the same time. HELP ME!!!!!! Give me some pointers on how to feel good about this (mediocre) hire and still express disdain for the ARROGANCE, CENSORSHIP, and outright LYING that is Ronald Wellman.
This is a sincere plea. Please help me.

Just saw the story on ESPN, still 'Jeff Goodman reporting'. Only red flag is that two of the shots showed Manning clapping which already gave me flashbacks. Seth Greenburg commented on his mentors, playing for Larry Brown and an assistant for Bill Self. He said on the recruiting trail having Danny Manning in your living room would be helpful.

I'm having a tough time being ALL IN and appearing to condone Wellman's actions at the same time. HELP ME!!!!!! Give me some pointers on how to feel good about this (mediocre) hire and still express disdain for the ARROGANCE, CENSORSHIP, and outright LYING that is Ronald Wellman.
This is a sincere plea. Please help me.

You've got to look at it as seperate things. Danny Manning is our new coach, he needs our support and it's not his fault that Ron Wellman underwhelmed on this hire. What was Manning supposed to do, say "Ron, I'd love to take the job, but I think you could've done better." Ron talked about a home run hire and on paper this isn't close, Wellman needs to held accountable for that #fireronwellman, but Manning needs our support now.

This hire reminds me of Adrian when she said "Good Luck" to Rocky Balboa and he said "Thanks....I'm gonna need it"
:eek:hnoes:

You've got to look at it as seperate things. Danny Manning is our new coach, he needs our support and it's not his fault that Ron Wellman underwhelmed on this hire. What was Manning supposed to do, say "Ron, I'd love to take the job, but I think you could've done better." Ron talked about a home run hire and on paper this isn't close, Wellman needs to held accountable for that #fireronwellman, but Manning needs our support now.

Exactly. Wellman and Hatch will be gone soon enough thanks to Father Time. Manning needs and deserves our support.

Well, in all honestly there is no such thing as a home run hire until the coach actually proves it, so who knows maybe Manning ends up being a home run hire. Still would've been nice to get a Shaka or Greg Marshall though.

A home run hire is getting a coach that has proven themselves with many winning seasons and NCAAT success.

Manning has shown lots of potential, clearly no one knows how successful he will be. This hire is a double at best.

A home run hire is getting a coach that has proven themselves with many winning seasons and NCAAT success.

Manning has shown lots of potential, clearly no one knows how successful he will be. This hire is a double at best.

A quote "home run" hire that comes in and doesn't have success is no homerun hire in my book. The only real "homerun" hires are the guys that prove it with their record at that school. I completely agree on paper it's a single in my book, but if 5 years from now he's had great success, it will be a home run to me.

In Kansas's 83-79 victory over the University of Oklahoma in the 1988 NCAA Final, Manning recorded 31 points, 18 rebounds, 5 steals and 2 blocked shots.

wo :eek:

Back