• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It appears official, let's get behind the Man(ning)!!!!!

Be interesting how quickly we add a big man to next year's class. For me that's the one big expectation I have for Head Coach Danny Manning, bring in some good big men.

Exactly. I have very high expectations for his ability to recruit big men at wake. Tim Duncan plus Danny manning. Should be a no brainer for potential big men to come rolling in.

I think we will finally be able to take full advantage of our nba prowess right now as well.

It's simple: height trumps everything else. He is tall, ergo he is a great coach.

Ron talked about a home run hire and on paper this isn't close, Wellman needs to held accountable for that #fireronwellman
So let me get this straight. RW couldn't force whomever you believed to be the home run candidates (or supposedly their wives?) to come to Wake, made an up and comer hire that carries some risk (like all the candidates) but I think will turn out really well, made a great hire in Clawson which people are gushing about on another thread right now....and you want to fire the guy? Because he said he was "swinging for the fences" on this hire.......and actually tried.

I can't penalize a guy for trying. RW will retire before we need another fball or bball coach so can't we just put this #[name]out crap to rest?

I'm having a tough time being ALL IN and appearing to condone Wellman's actions at the same time. HELP ME!!!!!! Give me some pointers on how to feel good about this (mediocre) hire and still express disdain for the ARROGANCE, CENSORSHIP, and outright LYING that is Ronald Wellman.
This is a sincere plea. Please help me.

Easy to do. I am in the same boat. Just forget Wellman exists. He no longer has any real power over our athletic program. He will retire before he can do anything meaningful again.

QUESTION: What will be the Buzz's barnyard schtick they try this time?

Danny's boys?
Manning's municipality?

Although I'd hoped for one of the marquee names in the search, I am behind this hire given what we have to work with. Unlike Wellman's last two hires, we at least have a HC with a winning record and a potential upside. Most of college basketball is positive on the hire unlike with [Redacted], so at least there is a good national perception and reception. Welcome to our new Manning overlord.

Welcome back to NC Coach! Now go fill up our 2016 class!

What high school big man won't want to come here and learn from a former #1 NBA draft pick?

Excited to see some positive momentum around the basketball program. Anxious to see how he fills out his staff and manages the roster.

Like most I was hoping for the 'home run' hire, but I certainly will not hold that against Manning. Will support him 100% now that he's our coach. The bigger question, of course, is for the AD and what did we pay to get Manning here. If we paid a straight $2M for a coach that is on the rise but still has a lot to prove, that would bother me. If we paid $1M with lots of incentives I would feel like it was a fair deal.

This is where I am. Welcome Coach! I don't know you, but I love you because I love WF.

So let me get this straight. RW couldn't force whomever you believed to be the home run candidates (or supposedly their wives?) to come to Wake, made an up and comer hire that carries some risk (like all the candidates) but I think will turn out really well, made a great hire in Clawson which people are gushing about on another thread right now....and you want to fire the guy? Because he said he was "swinging for the fences" on this hire.......and actually tried.

I can't penalize a guy for trying. RW will retire before we need another fball or bball coach so can't we just put this #[name]out crap to rest?

Wellman should've never mentioned the words home run hire then.

Back