• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It appears official, let's get behind the Man(ning)!!!!!

What high school big man won't want to come here and learn from a former #1 NBA draft pick?

That's my hope. Manning, though he was no Tim Duncan, was fundamentally rock solid. His mentor is Bill Self whose teams always play under control and are mentally in every game (that means you now, Devin). I'm excited to have Danny Manning as our next coach. There is a ton of upside in this hire.

Manning is a good solid hire and right in the zone that a good major program would get.

HR would have been great, but this could very well turn out better. There are very few sure things in sports.

Nowhwere to go but up. Coach has my full support. I guess we're the DeMan Deacons now?

Again, from Dan Collins on - appropriately - April 1st....

All that said, I'm not the only one who has been hearing for going on two weeks now that Wake Forest is looking for a "home run hire.'' It certainly needs one to help everyone forget, as soon as possible, how much the program has struggled these past four years with Jeff [name redacted] as head coach

The only way that Ron Wellman hits a home run by hiring Danny Manning is if he grounds one across third base and it rattles around in the corner long enough for Wellman to leg out an inside-the-parker. He's going to have to lay down some serious tracks to convince a fractured fan base looking askance at his every move that a coach who has all of 67 games as a college coach under his belt is the man to pull the Wake program out of the morass into which it has found itself.

And once again, the numbers inside the numbers aren't all that impressive. Sure the Golden Hurricane had a really nice season, but it didn't beat anybody worth noting outside of conference play. It did, however lose to Oral Roberts, Missouri State, Wichita State, Creighton, TCU (twice), Green Bay, Oklahoma and Maryland. Few of those loses were in doubt down the stretch.

Maybe Ron Wellman will stand up in a day or two or three and introduce Danny Manning as Wake's next coach. Personally, I'm skeptical.

I feel pretty certain Wake has reached out to Manning, as it has probably to more coaches than we'll ever know. But from the way Bill Haisten's piece in the Tulsa World read, it looked like Manning was awfully anxious to get the fact that Wake was interested in him out there.

He was, after all, going into negotiations with his president and director of athletics.

I'm guessing Dan is a little pissed that he was fed this 'swinging for the fences' bull dung perhaps in return for making Wellman look bad at the Buzz presser.

So let me get this straight. RW couldn't force whomever you believed to be the home run candidates (or supposedly their wives?) to come to Wake, made an up and comer hire that carries some risk (like all the candidates) but I think will turn out really well, made a great hire in Clawson which people are gushing about on another thread right now....and you want to fire the guy? Because he said he was "swinging for the fences" on this hire.......and actually tried.

I can't penalize a guy for trying. RW will retire before we need another fball or bball coach so can't we just put this #[name]out crap to rest?

I don't blame him for trying. I blame him for why he failed. He doesn't have the juice to make a homerun hire. He poisoned his rep in the coaching community for the way he fired Dino, and clumsily clung to Our Abiding Shame by ripping previous players with his culture crap. He has no goodwill with the fanbase, and he's approaching retirement. He's a lame duck. This is why we didn't make a home run hire.

Welcome coach, please remind us what good, exciting basketball feels like.

Welcome Coach Manning. I'm 100% behind him and have optimism that he can deliver a program to be proud of. I hope we fans can unite on this.

If there's ever a tournament where schools win based on coaches playing 1-1 against each other, I like our chance to win it all.

What you younger folks may not realize is that he wasn't just a pretty good pro, but coming out of high school he was super elite, like a Ralph Sampson or Greg Oden. Unfortunately injuries kept him from ever having a chance to live up to that potential, though he'll always have 1988 to show what he was capable of.

So let me get this straight. RW couldn't force whomever you believed to be the home run candidates (or supposedly their wives?) to come to Wake, made an up and comer hire that carries some risk (like all the candidates) but I think will turn out really well, made a great hire in Clawson which people are gushing about on another thread right now....and you want to fire the guy? Because he said he was "swinging for the fences" on this hire.......and actually tried.

I can't penalize a guy for trying. RW will retire before we need another fball or bball coach so can't we just put this #[name]out crap to rest?

This is not RW's only failing. And for all who are interested, our annual slide down the rankings in the Director's Cup is in full swing. We're down to 43rd and behind 8 other ACC schools. The basketball numbers will be added next week. That should give us a big boost! (Sarcasm)

WellmanOUT! And the sooner the better...

Last edited:
Strong quotes from Self, Larry Brown and Markieff Morris in the release on the official site. Not exactly a repeat from [Redacted]

WF media email confirms Danny Manning hire ("one of the most accomplished college basketball players in history of the sport") at 10:29 am.

Bret Strelow ‏@bretstrelow 1m
Danny Manning in release from Wake: "I am excited about the opportunity to be a part of the history and tradition of Wake Forest."

Bret Strelow ‏@bretstrelow 1m
Danny Manning in release from Wake: "I am excited about the opportunity to be a part of the history and tradition of Wake Forest."

"I am excited about the opportunity to be a part of the history and tradition of Wake Forest," said Manning. "I am extremely humbled by this honor and look forward to being the head coach and competing for championships both on and off the court."

"I am excited about the opportunity to be a part of the history and tradition of Wake Forest," said Manning. "I am extremely humbled by this honor and look forward to being the head coach and competing for championships both on and off the court."

what?

Back