• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's gonna be hung! CP3's jersey finally getting retired March 2

I'm becoming uncomfortable with the number of posters who don't understand what Muggsy and Rodney meant to Wake Forest athletics.

This is kind of my point. People talk about Chris's lack of "measurables" if you will at Wake, yet cite intangibles as Rodney's lasting legacy. It's hypocritical. In reality both numbers should be retired because both of their contributions go beyond the scope of career stats or trophies.

And for the diploma crowd... Muggsey's number hung in the Joel well before he earned his degree.

This is kind of my point. People talk about Chris's lack of "measurables" if you will at Wake, yet cite intangibles as Rodney's lasting legacy. It's hypocritical. In reality both numbers should be retired because both of their contributions go beyond the scope of career stats or trophies.

And for the diploma crowd... Muggsey's number hung in the Joel well before he earned his degree.

I think that CP's number should be retired. Deciding who to honor in this way should involve more factors than that which can be statistically quantified, which is why Muggsy, RR, CD, etc. are retired.

And Muggsy's number was retired before his final home game of his senior year. But it didn't hang in the Joel for a few more years.

Winner.

Also, Rodney, God love him, won the same number of ACCT games, went just as deep in the NCAAT, and earned one fewer 1st team AA as CP3 while also leaving school early. He's in the rafters and I don't hear anyone arguing he shouldn't be, myself included.

Rodney was ACC Player of the Year in 1993

CP3 is the 2nd most gifted player to ever play at WFU. (sorry, Rodney)

Put his fucking number in the rafters. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Uhh, yes.

This thread will be a great artifact in 50 years. From this, we'll be able to project who the old cranky posters are then - I'm betting a lot of them make that jump. Young cranky men = old cranky men. So congrats CP3 haters, you're going to be BKF when you get old!

Are you serious? I hope you are kidding and I can't tell. Irving was at Duke one year, most of which he was injured and did not play. What the heck did he do in a Duke jersey that would warrant no one else ever wearing the number?

Who gives a crap how gifted he was? That is not why you retire a jersey. You retire a jersey to recognize a career so impressive that it is deemed inappropriate for anyone else to ever wear that number - bascially you are saying that no one else could ever be worthy of wearing that number. That is why it should be a very rare event.

Who gives a crap how gifted he was? That is not why you retire a jersey. You retire a jersey to recognize a career so impressive that it is deemed inappropriate for anyone else to ever wear that number - bascially you are saying that no one else could ever be worthy of wearing that number. That is why it should be a very rare event.

So you're really saying you have no problem with someone else wearing #3? I just can't see it.

Who gives a crap how gifted he was? That is not why you retire a jersey. You retire a jersey to recognize a player so impressive that it is deemed inappropriate for anyone else to ever wear that number - bascially you are saying that no one else could ever be worthy of wearing that number. That is why it should be a very rare event.

Slight fix. And this is how I feel about CP3. That number is so identified with him that no one else SHOULD ever wear it.

I understand where a lot of people are coming from when they say he didn't do enough (read: team accomplishments) to warrant the honor, but there are other factors. We use CP to sell kids on Wake, like it or not. Seeing his name up there with Duncan is going to impress kids. At the end of the day, it's in the school's best interest to hang it, so it's what's going to be done.

Are you serious? I hope you are kidding and I can't tell. Irving was at Duke one year, most of which he was injured and did not play. What the heck did he do in a Duke jersey that would warrant no one else ever wearing the number?

The question posed was if Irving becomes the greatest player in the history of the NBA. Not kidding at all. Whether the college purists like it or not, what one accomplishes after college often matters with these things, the same as it matters for alumni being honored by their alma mater in every other facet of existence.

God, didn't realize we have so many whiny ostriches in the Wake ranks. (Just kidding. I knew that already. Our fan base sucks. For further proof of such, see the post that immediately follows this one. What. A. Clown.)

Last edited:
You have convinced me, he was the best player on two very talented teams that folded everytime when it counted. Hang the jersey!

Last edited:
Maybe CP3 will use the ceremony as a forum to ask what the hell happened to Wake basbetball.

C'mon Chris, you have a bully pulpit, use it.

Certainly he can't ignore how far the program has fallen.

well idk if i'd want him to shine the spotlight on us like that. but hopefully he's already been doing more subtle, private things about it.

but then again probably not.

Sorry, Rodney single-handedly took down Dook at Cameron with a 37 point performance, that's enough to secure #2 behind Childress for all time IMHO. When he wanted to be, he was the most dominant player I saw that year. Childress took it to a new level two years later at the ACCT.

Back