• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's gonna be hung! CP3's jersey finally getting retired March 2

I don't have time to look it up but IIRC CP's team was ranked No. 1 only early in the season, never when it counted. A No. 1 ranking doesn't mean much in terms of accomplishments, it actually supports my point of unfulfilled promise and unfinished business.

Obviously the bad things that happened to the team are because of CP3.

He went 22-9-6 in the WVU game. You can pick out any play to blame any person.

Harping on what he said in a press conference to go pro is so petty.

Oh I'm not saying he was the only one to blame. You said he didn't deserve any of the blame, and I was just saying he deserved part of it.

And I didn't harp on the press conference, I brought it up as a minor point and then you responded to it, so I responded back.

I love CP for how great an ambassador he has been for the school. But retiring a number should be based on what a player accomplished in that uniform. If it's based on what he's done afterward, then, well, I'm really proud of Richard Burr being a U.S. Senator, let's retire his number in football.

If Burr was a 6-time Pro Bowler, we probably would retire his number.

Oh I'm not saying he was the only one to blame. You said he didn't deserve any of the blame, and I was just saying he deserved part of it.

And I didn't harp on the press conference, I brought it up as a minor point and then you responded to it, so I responded back.

Where did I say that?

I said people blame the best player when things go wrong... which makes no sense. He isn't a perfect player, no one is, but he was by far the best player on that team and by far the biggest reason for any success we had that year.

Obviously the bad things that happened to the team are because of CP3.

True or false: CP3 was at his best in the WVU game. The answer is false.

A lot of guys came up short in that game, he was one of them. Fact remains that was his chance to do something special and he (along with others) blew it.

True or false: CP3 was at his best in the WVU game. The answer is false.

A lot of guys came up short in that game, he was one of them. Fact remains that was his chance to do something special and he (along with others) blew it.

If Mike Gansey doesn't have the game of his life and CP3 plays exactly the same way he all of the sudden becomes more worthy of this honor?

Where did I say that?

I said people blame the best player when things go wrong... which makes no sense. He isn't a perfect player, no one is, but he was by far the best player on that team and by far the biggest reason for any success we had that year.

He didn't lose those games, the team did. Fan bases irrationally blame the team's best players for failures.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but the implication there seems to be that Paul played great in those games and they lost because the rest of the team sucked. If that's not what you meant, then I don't know what the point was of bringing it up.

You brought it up as your first point and you still have a bitter taste in your mouth about it for some reason.

Well, it is obvious that the honor is being bestowed based on what he has accomplished since he left WFU. Just reread all the posts supporting this decision talking about his being a great ambassador for Wake and the possibility of ending up one of the best NBA players of all time. If you question that he is being honored for his recent success, then ask yourself, "Would he be getting this honor now if he had failed miserably at the next level?" The answer is clearly no. So let's not attempt to either justify or vilify his record at Wake. We should ask ourselves if such an emphasis on post-collegiate performance is the new standard we should apply from this point forward.

We have used that standard in the past (Muggsy), unless you think 7 ACC wins in his last 3 ACC seasons was enough to have his jersey retired.

If Mike Gansey doesn't have the game of his life and CP3 plays exactly the same way he all of the sudden becomes more worthy of this honor?

That's how sports work, my man. If Asante Samuel holds on to the ball, the Patriots go 19-0. It's about what happened. In the biggest game of his WFU career, CP was not the best player on the court and he made a crucial mistake that contributed to the loss.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but the implication there seems to be that Paul played great in those games and they lost because the rest of the team sucked. If that's not what you meant, then I don't know what the point was of bringing it up.

We wouldn't have been anywhere near the level of team without him. Any failure that he had was more than overwhelmed by the positive impact he had on the team. Complaining about one play shows the idiocy of fan bases when a once in a generation PG consistently lifts a team up multiple levels, but then gets railed on as soon as things go south.

That's how sports work, my man. If Asante Samuel holds on to the ball, the Patriots go 19-0. It's about what happened. In the biggest game of his WFU career, CP was not the best player on the court and he made a crucial mistake that contributed to the loss.

That is just idiotic when making a judgment on whether or not a player deserves to be honored. This isn't the result of a game.

You brought it up as your first point and you still have a bitter taste in your mouth about it for some reason.

The "bitter taste" part was meant to express that I acknowledge that's a minor, personal, petty thing. Apologies if it came out differently. That's not why I don't want his number retired. I don't want his number retired because I don't think he accomplished enough while wearing that jersey.

The "bitter taste" part was meant to express that I acknowledge that's a minor, personal, petty thing. Apologies if it came out differently. That's not why I don't want his number retired. I don't want his number retired because I don't think he accomplished enough while wearing that jersey.

1st team All American. Best player on the team from his first practice.

Team goals are a really dumb way to judge someone.

I don't understand Wake fans who don't like CP3. He is everything you could ever possibly hope and more as a part of the Wake Forest family. He's STILL the only reason we're relevant in any college basketball discussion now and he's been gone for seven years.

That is just idiotic when making a judgment on whether or not a player deserves to be honored. This isn't the result of a game.

Come on, you're smarter than that. You really want to go back and judge every athlete by what they "would have" won "if" certain things had not gone against them?

Bottom line, his accomplishments in college were very, very limited. Make all the excuses you want about how it wasn't his fault.

We should ask ourselves if such an emphasis on post-collegiate performance is the new standard we should apply from this point forward.
That's a very good point. We have the WFU Hall of Fame that covers all sports, which covers what they accomplished at WFU. We don't have a standard that we use to retire numbers, at least that any of us have been able to figure out. Does anyone know if there is a committee or is it chosen by the AD?

I don't understand Wake fans who don't like CP3. He is everything you could ever possibly hope and more as a part of the Wake Forest family. He's STILL the only reason we're relevant in any college basketball discussion now and he's been gone for seven years.

I love CP3. Just don't think his jersey should be retired.

Come on, you're smarter than that. You really want to go back and judge every athlete by what they "would have" won "if" certain things had not gone against them?

Bottom line, his accomplishments in college were very, very limited. Make all the excuses you want about how it wasn't his fault.

Dan Marino and Charles Barkley are still Hall of Famers.

Back