• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's gonna be hung! CP3's jersey finally getting retired March 2

It's kind of obvious it's from Wikipedia.

That's what I thought, as I clicked on AFA's link and it took me to his Wikipedia page, but Wiki made no reference in his bio or listing of college awards that he was an all-American at Wake. So I thought the list may have come from another source and just listed Wikipedia's links for the players.

From the Wake Forest site: Became the 14th player in Wake Forest history to earn All-America honors ... Third team All-American according to CBSSports.com and FoxSports.com ... Honorable mention AP All-American

What a reach to call that an All-American. He wasn't even 1st team all-ACC.

It's a no-brainer.

I think he really wanted to stay, and has been working his ass off to make it up to Wake, the fans, and the coaches every day since.

I think you have to hang it.

The only issue I had w/ Paul is that he apparently told Prosser he wasn't leaving then did.

Sure wish he would have remained one additional year. Early 20's great talent, & the $$$ is long term security, I would have done likewise...Often wondered if the stress of his leaving had an effect on Skip's health.

I think you have to hang it.

The only issue I had w/ Paul is that he apparently told Prosser he wasn't leaving then did.

This did leave a bitter taste for many, but time has definitely healed that wound. Especially because Chris has been such a vocal advocate for Wake since then.

It's a no-brainer.

I think he really wanted to stay, and has been working his ass off to make it up to Wake, the fans, and the coaches every day since.

This exactly.

I was pissed at CPIII when he left because I thought he was too small to be effective yet in the NBA and I hate it when kids leave school early to go ride the bench. But it turns out he was ridiculously good despite his size, and he was completely right to leave. Just wish the Hawks had drafted him.

Since then he's been a model of Wake Forest loyalty and one of the best players in the League. Hang it and keep Wake relevant. Not sure what could be better for the school than to have class acts like Arnie, CPIII, Duncan, etc. rewarded for their loyalty.

The people still upset that CP3 didn't graduate are the root of our current "culture" problem.

If he had graduated, would it be ok? Charlie Davis never had a Final Four, Elite 8, or ACC Title.

If he would graduate I would feel a lot better about it. Especially after all of the statements he made along the way. At least Johnson was up front and said his major was Pre-NBA.

The bitter taste for me was the fact that CP3 said during his press conference that he was declaring for the draft because there were no more challenges at the college level (I'm paraphrasing, I don't have the exact quote in front of me). That drove me nuts because there were plenty of challenges left - win a single ACC tournament game, beat a single-digit seed in the NCAAs, etc. It was obvious he left for the money, which was the smart thing to do, and nobody should have blamed him for that. He should have just told the truth.

When I see No. 3 in the rafters, I'll think of unfulfilled promise and unfinished business. Memorable moments? The nut punch is the first that comes to mind. Memorable games? West Virginia tops the list.

I love CP for how great an ambassador he has been for the school. But retiring a number should be based on what a player accomplished in that uniform. If it's based on what he's done afterward, then, well, I'm really proud of Richard Burr being a U.S. Senator, let's retire his number in football.

You wanted CP3 to say in a press conference before he was drafted and while pro teams were evaluating him that he was going pro for the money?

He didn't lose those games, the team did. Fan bases irrationally blame the team's best players for failures.

Also, why is it ridiculous to include things that people did once they've left in a decision to honor them? Would Syracuse have given Aaron Sorkin an honorary degree if he had ended up as a staff writer on a daytime soap instead of the creator of The West Wing? Would we have honored Arnie and asked him to speak at graduation if he was a mid-level tour pro?

The "break our hearts" thing is really silly. I'm so glad people never pulled that shit with Rodney. And if anything, Rodney staying portended much greater things for Wake than Paul. We possibly could have had Duncan, Childress, and Rogers on the same 93-94 team. *Possibly.*

And Makhtar Ndaiye.

Well, it is obvious that the honor is being bestowed based on what he has accomplished since he left WFU. Just reread all the posts supporting this decision talking about his being a great ambassador for Wake and the possibility of ending up one of the best NBA players of all time. If you question that he is being honored for his recent success, then ask yourself, "Would he be getting this honor now if he had failed miserably at the next level?" The answer is clearly no. So let's not attempt to either justify or vilify his record at Wake. We should ask ourselves if such an emphasis on post-collegiate performance is the new standard we should apply from this point forward.

He was a 1st team All American while he was here. He was one of the best players we've ever had WHILE he was here. This is not based alone on his incredible pro career, but that does not mean that is irrelevant either.

The bitter taste for me was the fact that CP3 said during his press conference that he was declaring for the draft because there were no more challenges at the college level (I'm paraphrasing, I don't have the exact quote in front of me). That drove me nuts because there were plenty of challenges left - win a single ACC tournament game, beat a single-digit seed in the NCAAs, etc. It was obvious he left for the money, which was the smart thing to do, and nobody should have blamed him for that. He should have just told the truth.

When I see No. 3 in the rafters, I'll think of unfulfilled promise and unfinished business. Memorable moments? The nut punch is the first that comes to mind. Memorable games? West Virginia tops the list.

I love CP for how great an ambassador he has been for the school. But retiring a number should be based on what a player accomplished in that uniform. If it's based on what he's done afterward, then, well, I'm really proud of Richard Burr being a U.S. Senator, let's retire his number in football.

No other player in the rafters has been a part of a #1 ranked team. Why is that any more/less an arbitrary team accomplishment than the others?

You wanted CP3 to say in a press conference before he was drafted and while pro teams were evaluating him that he was going pro for the money?

He didn't lose those games, the team did. Fan bases irrationally blame the team's best players for failures.

Yes, I wanted him to say, "I have this amazing opportunity, and nothing is ever guaranteed to still be there a year from now, so it's in the best interest of me and my family if I take this opportunity now." I would have completely respected that, and I have no doubt NBA executives would have as well.

He played a big role in the WVU loss. If he doesn't foul out on a dumb foul, you never know what happens. And if he doesn't punch Hodge in the nuts, who knows, maybe we win the ACC title and carry that momentum into the tournament.

You want to give him an honorary degree? Fine. I just think retiring a number should be based on what the player accomplished while wearing that number.

I don't have time to look it up but IIRC CP's team was ranked No. 1 only early in the season, never when it counted. A No. 1 ranking doesn't mean much in terms of accomplishments, it actually supports my point of unfulfilled promise and unfinished business.

He went 22-9-6 in the WVU game. You can pick out any play to blame any person.

Harping on what he said in a press conference to go pro is so petty.

Well, it is obvious that the honor is being bestowed based on what he has accomplished since he left WFU. Just reread all the posts supporting this decision talking about his being a great ambassador for Wake and the possibility of ending up one of the best NBA players of all time. If you question that he is being honored for his recent success, then ask yourself, "Would he be getting this honor now if he had failed miserably at the next level?" The answer is clearly no. So let's not attempt to either justify or vilify his record at Wake. We should ask ourselves if such an emphasis on post-collegiate performance is the new standard we should apply from this point forward.

Bingo. And I say no.

Back