• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I've got FANTASTIC news everyone! Wake Forest Basketball just won the Super Bowl!!!

not sure what his contract is for, but I think it's 5 years, right? I guess it's possible he has enough success next year to warrant one.

extension? we're talking about an extension?

seriously though, wellman gives undeserved extensions for recruiting purposes. right?

1) Can't recruit -- his three recruits this season aren't exactly tearing it up, but they are freshmen so still too soon to judge them. Which makes it ever further too soon to judge the players coming in next season; one way or the other.

2) Can't win on the road at BCS schools -- Jeff [Redacted]'s away record against BCS conference schools since 2005:
2005/06: 0-2; losses at Washington and Illinois (in the NIT)
2006/07: 2-1; wins at Stanford and Colorado, loss to Duke
2007/08: 0-9; loss to Winsconsin OOC and lost all 8 Big XII road games
2008/09: 0-9; loss to Stanford OOC and lost all 8 Big XII road games
2009/10: 1-8; loss to Oregon St OOC and lost 7 of 8 Big XII road games
2010/11: 0-8; lost all 8 ACC road games
2011/12 (to date): 2-3; wins at Nebraska and BC, losses to Seton Hall, Maryland and Duke

TOTAL: 5-40, .111

3) Can't win on the road in conference -- Jeff [Redacted]'s away record in conference since 2005:
2005/06: 4-4
2006/07: 3-5
2007/08: 0-8
2008/09: 0-8
2009/10: 1-7
2010/11: 0-8
2011/12 (to date): 1-2

TOTAL: 9-42, .176

4) Agreed.

Really hard to parse everything people have said he can't do. IIRC people were poinint to his 1-23 record in the Big 12 on the road. Seems most discounted anything from AFA, who's conference should be compared to the Big 12 and ACC.

IIRC there was one point between Skip and Dino where our teams didn't win a road game for 1 1/2 to 2 years.

We have three true road wins this year. And I know High Point is not a program to get all hyped up on, but remember Odom took us to Marshal and Davidson and lost, which killed our NCAA chances two years in a row. Point being going on the road at these smaller schools is always dangerous.

Based on what I heard on this board, I'm pretty sure Bzz has exceeded expectations on the recruiting trail (i.e. next years class especially). I'd agree the jury is out on whether he can bring top 25 recruits, but reading here it sounded like we would never get enough quality players to compete again. Since we can't 'see the future' we can only speculate and its a cop out to say 'we'll see what happens when the get here'. I'd like to think that the fact he's getting some decent PT out of Ty and Nikita is an early indicator that he can develop players once they are here.

One thing he can't do is manage the press. :)

I accept your apology and admittance that you were not correct.

You're alright in my book.
stephen-colbert-photo.jpg

No apologies here. Travis goes 1-13 (not coaching) and we lose Ty (not coaching), too many turnovers (maybe coaching), not enough PT for Chase (definitely coaching). Not sure why he sat him so much as the game started to slip away, although with Ty out we were small. Needed some more scoring and another shooter (with CJ) to spread the floor.

Jury still out 'til 2013. I would have liked to see us play better today.

Rock on.

By all means, defend Mr. [Redacted], but I would like to see some statistics that back up such a belief in him.

Trust me, I've searched high and low for them and all I've uncovered is complete dog shit. I hope you have better luck in your searches, assuming you actually have searched/will search for statistical proof that Mr. [Redacted] will become a good head coach here.

Or maybe you like going on blind faith? That's cool too.

By all means, defend Mr. [Redacted], but I would like to see some statistics that back up such a belief in him.

Trust me, I've searched high and low for them and all I've uncovered is complete dog shit. I hope you have better luck in your searches, assuming you actually have searched/will search for statistical proof that Mr. [Redacted] will become a good head coach here.

Or maybe you like going on blind faith? That's cool too.

As Mark Twain said "there are lies, damn lies and statistics", but here are a few:

50-16 overall record at Air Force
Denver Nuggets improved from 17-65 to 43-39 under him
November 29, 2006 Air Force 94 WFU 58 (road win)

I am sure you will say, "well he got Melo when he was with the Nuggets so you can't attribute all that improvement to Buzz's coaching". I agree, but then you have to look at our roster and what he had at CO when you look at those statistics too.

We'll see what he can do when he gets more talent and depth in next year and our current players get more experienced.

Can we please stop mentioning some meaningless december game at altitude over a bad Wake team as some evidence that [Redacted] can coach.

We got our doors blown off the next year with a much better team at Georgia. Is anybody pining for Dennis Felton?

As Mark Twain said "there are lies, damn lies and statistics", but here are a few:

I am sure you will say, "well he got Melo when he was with the Nuggets so you can't attribute all that improvement to Buzz's coaching". I agree, but then you have to look at our roster and what he had at CO when you look at those statistics too.

We'll see what he can do when he gets more talent and depth in next year and our current players get more experienced.

That was not a road win.

A mediocre 15-12 overall record on the road with Air Force
What was Denver's record the next year before [Redacted] was fired and George Karl turned them around?
You should edit your post to indicate that wasn't a road win. It is also a small sample size, Mr. Wellman.

That many years of coaching and you've managed 3 examples, which are tedious at best. Cling to them for as long as you can, sir.

The 'wait til [Redacted] gets his guys in here' argument is my favorite. He has never stayed at the helm of a college program for longer than three years to get 'his guys' in there. Why will he suddenly change now, with even less success and more pressure as he pushes 60?

Look at how quickly and how often he has bolted to greener pastures in his career. What makes people believe he has even a tiny bit of loyalty to Wake Forest, or anyone for that matter?

A mediocre 15-12 overall record on the road with Air Force
What was Denver's record the next year before [Redacted] was fired and George Karl turned them around?
You should edit your post to indicate that wasn't a road win. It is also a small sample size, Mr. Wellman.

That many years of coaching and you've managed 3 examples, which are tedious at best. Cling to them for as long as you can, sir.

waitaminute... did ron think that by hiring bzz he could then fire him later and bring in george karl? what a devious mastermind. color me impressed.

None of it makes any difference. Whether Buzz is fired after this season or next season, he's certainly not going to be here long term. Even if he's fired 2 seasons from now, he's still just not going to be a long term successful coach. I don't think anyone - including Wellman and even Buzz himself - would think he would be here in 5 seasons or anything like that. So, really any debate is just over what year he gets fired or leaves. It clearly isn't working out and now it's just a debate about how long it will take to get the program to a top ACC program after Buzz is gone.

There just can't be any debate about whether or not Buzz is here long term. That's just far-fetched. Right now it is what it is and everyone is forced to just wait it out and hope the next coach can do the job.

The 'wait til [Redacted] gets his guys in here' argument is my favorite. He has never stayed at the helm of a college program for longer than three years to get 'his guys' in there. Why will he suddenly change now, with even less success and more pressure as he pushes 60?

Look at how quickly and how often he has bolted to greener pastures in his career. What makes people believe he has even a tiny bit of loyalty to Wake Forest, or anyone for that matter?

Tell me you just did not post this.

Wake Forest > Colorado > Air Force

It's that simple. He left Air Force for a job that was in a major conference, he left Colorado for a job that I would like to view as a destination job. The only programs that should be stealing coaches away from us are the Kentucky's, Kansas' and UCLA's.

and I can guarantee you that those programs aren't going to be calling for Jeff f'n [Redacted].

Tell me you just did not post this.

Wake Forest > Colorado > Air Force
It's that simple. He left Air Force for a job that was in a major conference, he left Colorado for a job that I would like to view as a destination job. The only programs that should be stealing coaches away from us are the Kentucky's, Kansas' and UCLA's.

and I can guarantee you that those programs aren't going to be calling for Jeff f'n [Redacted].

Well Buzz has cured that. You might reverse that now that Buzz has put his stamp on the Wake Forest program.

Back