• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Johnson getting paid

Yeah, calling Rogers a bust is stupid. He was the ninth pick and came out a year before Grant Hill who won ACC Player of the Year the year after he won it.

Bogues was the 12th pick in the 1987 draft, btw.

Okay, you didn't call Rogers a bust, but he had a long a productive NBA career, which is what you would have expected when he came out.

what's pretty remarkable is that there are no NBA busts from wake, no one contract wonders etc.... quite the contrary most of them outperformed their draft position. james johnson struggled a bit with weight and maturity in the early part of his career and now even he's making 8 figures per. jim boehiem tells his early entrants that they'll be out of the league in 3 years, meanwhile a wake player looks at the NBA alum list and must think this is easy.

even undrafted ish smith has had a better NBA career than the aforementioned former 1st round pick norris cole

The closest thing to a bust we had was Childress. #19 pick. Lasted two seasons. Never started a game. And much of that is in the context of Rusty having a better career undrafted.

Rogers definitely wasn't a bust. He played until he was 33. Was a reliable double digit scorer through his 20s. Won Sixth Man of the Year. The 1993 draft was strong. Bobby Hurley was the only real bust at the top of that draft. One all-time great in Webber. A few perennial All-Stars and players who stuck around for a long time.

By the way, I hadn't looked at his Sixth Man season in a long time. 13.8 pts on 49% shooting, 44% from deep. 5.5 reb, 2.1 ast, 1.1 stl in 28 mpg. That's a damn good season. Better numbers than Eric Gordon this year in my opinion.

Last edited:
sure he finished 10th in win shares in that draft. i'm saying the average #9 pick in all drafts probably doesn't have as good of a career. it's probably close.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

this says only 40% of #9 picks end up as stars or solid. i'd say he was solid, not role player. he was a 6th man of the year.

Yeah. The #9 pick before Rogers was Clarence Weatherspoon who had a similar career. The #9 picks in the three drafts after Rogers were Eric Montross, Ed O'Bannon, and Samaki Walker. All busts. The three after that? T-Mac, Dirk, and Shawn Marion. It's a crapshoot slot.

Yeah, calling Rogers a bust is stupid. He was the ninth pick and came out a year before Grant Hill who won ACC Player of the Year the year after he won it.

Bogues was the 12th pick in the 1987 draft, btw.

I once heard a Ggreggggg Doyle radio interview predicting Chris Paul would be a better NBA player than Raymond Felton--which drew some ooohs and aaaahs around the Triangle---and I remember him saying a pretty solid quote, "The ACC Media doesn't know what it's looking at." His implication was the UNC/dUKe players get such a bump from the local people that Wake et al guys usually outperform their suppressed expectations.

Hard to argue.

Yeah. The #9 pick before Rogers was Clarence Weatherspoon who had a similar career. The #9 picks in the three drafts after Rogers were Eric Montross, Ed O'Bannon, and Samaki Walker. All busts. The three after that? T-Mac, Dirk, and Shawn Marion. It's a crapshoot slot.

By that logic, every slot is a crapshoot slot.

By that logic, every slot is a crapshoot slot.

2vj8mcg.jpg

the article is a bit dated, but i think this breakdown of the draft holds mostly true

So at a glance you can see the first five picks tend towards stars and solid types with no complete busts. (i'd argue with the last part)

The 6-10 range show about 1/3 of the picks reaching star status, but lots of role players as well. (role player is most likely outcome out of the top 6 or 7, people way underestimate this)

The mid first round (11-20) is much more a crap shoot with as many busts as stars.

Late first round (21-30) only 6% of picks become stars, and less than half even make it to role player caliber stats.

In the second round things get ugly, and the odds suggest you're lucky in some ways to find any kind of contributor. Of course some teams do uncover the overlooked talents...and I'll get to some of the best "value" picks of the last twenty years a little later on.

based on that breakdown and where wake players have gone since tim left, wake has done remarkably

JJ's comments at the end are the best

"That was nasty right? I cocked that joint back and banged on 'em."

Toronto Raptors sold T-Shirts with that slogan shortly after

Last edited:
Yeah, Randolph was a bust in the NBA
Kenny Green was a bust in the NBA
Rodney Rogers...decent NBA career but he won ACCPOY over Grant Hill; his NBA career was not what many had hoped it would be

WF has definitely turned it around in the last 20 years

It's been a while but did Rusty ever make any decent money?

JJ's comments at the end are the best

"That was nasty right? I cocked that joint back and banged on 'em."

Toronto Raptors sold T-Shirts with that slogan shortly after

I use it on the golf course a lot.

"Wow, big drive."
insert JJ line.

For another WFU reference point, Darius Songalia made $25m in in eight seasons. Also I had no idea he averaged 50% shooting from the floor for his career.

Until Collins, he was the most offensively talented big we had since Rogers. Yes, he was more offensively talented that Duncan.

Back