• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Johnson getting paid

Until Collins, he was the most offensively talented big we had since Rogers. Yes, he was more offensively talented that Duncan.

1d63631580bfabac2697506d76b2e59d.jpeg

Wider array of post moves even without great athleticism. Reliable jumper. Three point range. Great FT shooter.

Rodney Rogers better than Tim offensively????? I haven't smoked pot in a while, but that has to be some GREAT pot. Hell, you must be able to look at it from across the room and get high for a week.

Hell, Tim even shot FTs at a higher percentage than Rodney - 69.6% vs. 69%. Tim shot better from two and had more assists/game.

Rodney was more athletic and a better 3pt shooter, but that's about it.

Tim had fifteen seasons when he averaged more ppg than Rodney's highest (they tied one other year).

I love Rodney and was disappointed with his intensity. On his side, he played for some shit show teams in Denver and LA.

Tim was unstoppable.

I can't even fathom how crazy and totally ignorant of basketball saying ", he was the most offensively talented big we had since Rogers. Yes, he was more offensively talented that Duncan." is.

This is right up there with "Ish Smith isn't an ACC level PG." And not understanding why if you double team someone on D that someone has to be open.

I can't imagine how stupid it is to say what PH did about Rodney vs. Tim offensively.

Jesus, rj. Even when going after a stupid opinion you somehow find a way to be the bigger dumbass.

You're so right. Using stats (oh wait a second, you have to be a millennial to use stats), historical points of reference and reality is bad in your world.

It's especially relevant when talking about someone who stated many times that he knows all.

You're so right. Using stats (oh wait a second, you have to be a millennial to use stats), historical points of reference and reality is bad in your world.

It's especially relevant when talking about someone who stated many times that he knows all.
Lol, Ph said Songaila was more offensively talented than Duncan, not Rogers was more offensively talented than Duncan, you silly man.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL!!!

Wider array of post moves even without great athleticism. Reliable jumper. Three point range. Great FT shooter.

I'm certainly not arguing that Songaila wasn't an excellent collegiate post scorer (strong double negative to begin a response) but you are attempting to vault him ahead of the greatest power forward/center to ever play the game both collegiately And In the NBA. You might as well make the argument for vinny 'the microwave' Johnson over Michael Jordan while you are at it. It's absolutely insane argument to make.

This thread is a pretty good representation of the boards.

We have PH claiming the scorching hot take that Songalia had better post moves than Duncan with the classic PH double down, RJ misinterpreting said hot take and going off on a random tangent comparing Rodney V. Duncan and, Randolph, who has quite possibly been the largest reason that we pulled out of the buzzzz cellar, and not to mention a legendary player being called an NBA bust, albeit true.

Solid work team.

Lol, Ph said Songaila was more offensively talented than Duncan, not Rogers was more offensively talented than Duncan, you silly man.

My bad about Darius, but the concept that Darius was more offensively talented than Tim in college is even more moronic. The only thing Darius was better at in college offensively than Tim was FT shooting. The only reasons Tim didn't average 25PPG in college were GDO's pace and refusal to give Tim the ball more often. Tim's worst FG% was better than Darius' best.

Win Shares of all #9 picks from the 1990s

1. Dirk Nowitzki (1998) - 201.3
2. Shawn Marion (1999) - 124.9
3. Tracy McGrady (1997) - 97.3
4. Clarence Weatherspoon (1992) - 58.4
5. Stacy Augmon (1991) - 43.8
6. Rodney Rogers (1993) - 38.8
7. Samaki Walker (1996) - 14.2
8. Will Burton (1990) - 9.1
9. Eric Montross (1994) - 8.5
10. Ed O'Bannon (1995) - 1.1

Mean - 59.7
Standard Deviation - 60.9
Median - 41.3

So while Rodney did slightly under-perform compared to other #9 picks in the 90s, as Ph said the slot is a total crapshoot

well, actually, when phdeac says Songaila was the most offensively talented WF player since Rogers, he is in effect saying that both Songaila and Rogers are more offensively talented than any other WF player throughout the time period spanning their careers, which would of course include Tim Duncan's time at WF; so, he's saying both

if one wanted to argue that Songaila and Rogers arrived at WF as better offensive D1 players than 17-year-old Tim Duncan was on arrival at WF, I don't think that's a crazy notion at all...

Last edited:

Mean - 59.7
Median - 41.3

So while Rodney did slightly under-perform compared to other #9 picks in the 90s, as Ph said the slot is a total crapshoot

so yeah, slightly under-performing relative to other players drafted at that slot and slightly under-performing relative to the specific draft is not out-performing, which was my argument...

Mean - 59.7
Median - 41.3

It's not about as compared to others who were picked in the same slot. It's about under-performing his own ability.

You also arbitrarily picked a stat. Why not pick VORP? If you look at VORP of his draft, he was picked #9 but had the #5 VORP in his entire draft. His VORP was higher than six of the eight players picked ahead of him. If you used VORP for the #9 slot, Rodney would have been #4 in the 90s.

if one wanted to argue that Songaila and Rogers arrived at WF as better offensive D1 players than 17-year-old Tim Duncan was on arrival at WF, I don't think that's a crazy notion at all...

They both did, there is no doubt about that. But that wasn't the argument that was made :).

Back