• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Johnson getting paid

I've heard the story, just never seen the actual quote. Thought you might have it. IIRC Jerry was reported as saying TD was already best player in college his sophomore year and would be #1 if he came out.

That's exactly it.

West and RC Buford are the best talent evaluators I've ever seen.

Not quite on topic but this thread has clearly been derailed anyway:

If fielding a 12 man roster based on college attended what would Wake's all time team be? What about its current team? Games are played by today's NBA rules.

For all time (admitting some recency bias): CP3, Teague, JHo, Rodney, Tim, Muggsy, Chill, Aminu, Songaila, Chappell, Johnson (Frank), Johnson (James).

For current: CP3, Teague, Aminu, Johnson, Tim, Ish, CHAUNDEAC, McKie?, Cavanaugh?, Collins, Crawford, JHo?

Is the current team based on each player as they are right now? If so:

Starters: CP3, Teague, Aminu, Collins, Duncan
Rotation: Ish, Crawford, McKie, Johnson
Deeper Bench: Harris, Woods, Chaundee, Thomas

Great guard play. Versatile frontcourt.

All - Time

Tim
CP3
Josh
Charlie Davis
Rodney
Chappell (before my time, but off the chart numbers)
Muggsy
Rod Griffin
Chill
Skip Brown
Dickie Hemric (before my time, but his numbers were absolutely insane.)
Frank Johnson

If I'm not mistaken, Hemric, CD and Chappell are within something like 1/10 of 1 ppg for career scoring average. I think it is about 25 ppg. None of them played with a three point shot. CD might have averaged 30 ppg with one.

RE: Current - you can't put Cav in. He was just OK as a Deac and left rather than competing. Also, it's a bit much to put Chaundeac in such a position.

I left Hemric off despite the numbers because he was a 6'6 center. Wake has a bevy of great guards in its history, I opted for more size on the wings. (Remember the goal is to build an actual 12 man roster that could compete in Today's NBA).

For current team the bench gets tough very quick, especially on the wing. Chaundee was partly a joke but hopefully not. It's probably best to fill out the bench with guys getting run in Europe than 18-20 year olds though.

Is the current team based on each player as they are right now? If so:

Starters: CP3, Teague, Aminu, Collins, Duncan
Rotation: Ish, Crawford, McKie, Johnson
Deeper Bench: Harris, Woods, Chaundee, Thomas

Great guard play. Versatile frontcourt.

Yup, as of right now.

That team has to be a top 4 seed in the east, right?

Maybe in two years depending on how Collins, Crawford, and Chaundee develop.

I really hope at least of our Cs deserves to be on this list.

I left Hemric off despite the numbers because he was a 6'6 center. Wake has a bevy of great guards in its history, I opted for more size on the wings. (Remember the goal is to build an actual 12 man roster that could compete in Today's NBA).

For current team the bench gets tough very quick, especially on the wing. Chaundee was partly a joke but hopefully not. It's probably best to fill out the bench with guys getting run in Europe than 18-20 year olds though.

Hemric took outside shots.

Kenny Green was All American and a lottery pick.

One thing people forget in trying to compare one era towards another is to add current training to those older players. Think about guys like David Thompson with current training. He might have had a 55" vertical. Wilt high jumped 7' with no training. Think of his massive strength and quickness with today's training methods.

Last edited:
Hemric took outside shots.

Kenny Green was All American and a lottery pick.

One thing people forget in trying to compare one era towards another is to add current training to those older players. Think about guys like David Thompson with current training. He might have had a 55" vertical. Wilt high jumped 7' with no training. Think of his massive strength and quickness with today's training methods.

Not doing cocaine and flying on chartered planes would have helped a lot of those guys too.

Playing in real arenas and not taking buses would help. An ACL was basically a death penalty until the 80s.

The really good players could play in any era. The marginal ones couldn't.

With all these big contracts, I feel like Ish kind of got hosed on his deal. Thoughts? 3/$18MM signed last offseason.

Playing in real arenas and not taking buses would help. An ACL was basically a death penalty until the 80s.

The really good players could play in any era. The marginal ones couldn't.

I generally agree, though I'm skeptical of anyone who played before the league was fully integrated, especially of post players who were less than 6'8, 240

if you're building a team to compete in the NBA, shouldn't a player's performance in the NBA matter most?

if so, can't have Hemric, Charlie Davis, Skip Brown, Kenny Green, Chill on the team

My starting 5 would be:

Chappell
Duncan
Howard
Teague
Paul

bench, in order: Muggsy, Rogers, Frank Johnson, Danny Young, JJ, Songaila, Ish

might need to add Gil McGregor because that lineup needs Duncan for 48 minutes

I generally agree, though I'm skeptical of anyone who played before the league was fully integrated, especially of post players who were less than 6'8, 240

In the 60s, there were plenty of Hall of Fame post players that were more than 6'8, 240. Russ may have only gone 225, but he was Russ. Here are a few more:

Wilt
Thurmond
Bellamy
Beatty

This means the centers of the 60s normally played 27-36 games per year against other full sized Hall of Fame centers. how would compare that to today?

In the late 60s/early 70s, you'd add Kareem, Lanier, Hayes and Reed to that list.

Here are the starting centers of note for 1970-71:

Kareem
Wilt
Reed
Cowens
Bellamy
Thurmond
Lanier
Hayes
Unseld

Unseld was only 6'7, 250, but even playing Wilt, Kareem, Thurmond, Hayes (still on the Rockets), Lanier, Wes still averaged nearly 17 rpg.

Tim was the best player in the country during his soph year. Jerry West said Tim would have been the clear #1 pick after his soph year.

I doubt he would have been #1 after his Soph. or jr year. Both were very strong drafts.

I doubt he would have been #1 after his Soph. or jr year. Both were very strong drafts.

I defer to Jerry West.

Joe Smith was the #1 pick after Tim's soph year. Tim would have been picked ahead of him.

That's exactly it.

West and RC Buford are the best talent evaluators I've ever seen.

False

JV_032114_KINGS_SPURS_128.0.jpeg

Has to be photshopped. With that amount of contact, Vlade would be on the ground and there's no cigarette in sight. #fakeVlade

McKie should not be in discussion. High usage player on a horrible team. Same type of basketball IQ as Devin Thomas, non-existent

LOL. Who else you got?

Shit I would put JHO right now over no IQ Mckie. Or go big with a collins or go small with chundeac and he hasn't played a game at Wake

Collins and Chaundee are already on my team. If Howard was healthy enough to play, he would.

Back