• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Johnson getting paid

I defer to Jerry West.

Joe Smith was the #1 pick after Tim's soph year. Tim would have been picked ahead of him.

Duncan top 5...maybe. Yeah it's easy to say that he would have been #1 after the fact. Oh course he should have, but that is a long way from would have. As good as West was at everything he never could catch up with his ego.

Duncan top 5...maybe. Yeah it's easy to say that he would have been #1 after the fact. Oh course he should have, but that is a long way from would have. As good as West was at everything he never could catch up with his ego.

As I said, I'll defer to the greatest GM of them all- The Logo:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.680044

IT HASN'T taken Tim Duncan, Wake Forest's prodigy, long to catch the attention of NBA scouts and general managers. No less an authority than Lakers GM Jerry West has called Duncan, a 6-10, 238-pound sophomore, the best player in the country and a No. 1 pick in the draft . . . if he leaves school after this season. "

Rodney was a PF, then he played a lot of Center as a Junior, his final season.

He did almost all of his work in the paint and was a dominant post player. He was never a SF as King and Tucker handled that.

As for his work ethic, after King, Tucker and others, in the summer, were done with 5 on 5 in the lower gym, about 7 or 7:30 pm, Rodney would show up alone and go through a fast paced, regular, planned regimen for an hour or so, in that hot 85 degree box, several nights a week.

Last edited:
Well damn. I was a young buck back then living in the dash, hanging around the gym.

Looked up Derrick Hicks and he averaged 9 boards per game at Center.

Still consider Rodney a dominant post, even if he never played center. I thought we ran some with Tucker at 3, King at 4 and RR at 5. Guess I am mis-remembering.

An NBA GM said at the time that Duncan would have been the first pick that year without question.

Back