• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe

Really think Riley didn't give it enough time and missed his chance in the NFL. But to each his own.

He didn't want to be a practice squad/3rd string tackling dummy

Though it would be easy to see that as a motivator to pursue the NFL, since there were fewer financial concerns

Usually works in the opposite direction. People with fewer financial resources are more likely to take on the physical risks for the short term rewards of an NFL career.

Really think Riley didn't give it enough time and missed his chance in the NFL. But to each his own.

Is it heresy to say the glimmer of his star was fading by his final year? Besides, I heard somewhere recently that Riley Skinner brought down the empire at Wake Forest...

Usually works in the opposite direction. People with fewer financial resources are more likely to take on the physical risks for the short term rewards of an NFL career.

Often those people don't have something to fall back on, unlike Riley.

Can go either way. I believe some have shot this down but since he pretty quickly got back into football working for the ACC and whatnot, I do wonder if he regrets not giving it a shot.

Is it heresy to say the glimmer of his star was fading by his final year?

Senior year: 66% completion rate, 25 TDs to 12 picks. Lead the only top 40 offense of the Lobotzke era (and only top 70 offense, and that). Top 20 rated QB in the country.

So yes it's heresy, a thousand times yes. That team had problems everywhere except the QB position

Last edited:
Matt Moore is making $8 million over two years. $4 million guaranteed. Thing is, Riley's not as big, or as good as Matt Moore.

Not sure we 100% know that.

Moore got his chance to play and took it. But he was a UDFA just like Riley

Often those people don't have something to fall back on, unlike Riley.

Can go either way. I believe some have shot this down but since he pretty quickly got back into football working for the ACC and whatnot, I do wonder if he regrets not giving it a shot.

Senior year: 66% completion rate, 25 TDs to 12 picks. Lead the only top 40 offense of the Lobotzke era (and only top 70 offense, and that). Top 20 rated QB in the country.

So yes it's heresy, a thousand times yes. That team had problems everywhere except the QB position

Remember the end of the Boston College game that year?

Was the the infamous fullback screen to McWhite on fourth down which effectively ended the game? After the Ryan comeback? Or am I remembering another Wake nightmare?

My scar tissue shows glimpses of Wake's elusive sixth winning falling through Skinners fingertips late in the shadow of B.C.'s goalposts.

Was the the infamous fullback screen to McWhite on fourth down which effectively ended the game? After the Ryan comeback? Or am I remembering another Wake nightmare?

I think it was the "fall behind BC at half, throw to Marshall Williams to tie the game and force Ot, hold BC to a field goal then fumble at the goalline to lose the game" game.

My scar tissue shows glimpses of Wake's elusive sixth winning falling through Skinners fingertips late in the shadow of B.C.'s goalposts.

BC, Miami, Baylor, GT, Navy all very easily could have been wins that year. We were something like 14 total points away from being 10-2.

I think it was the "fall behind BC at half, throw to Marshall Williams to tie the game and force Ot, hold BC to a field goal then fumble at the goalline to lose the game" game.

Fuck. That. Game.

RB went the wrong way, or Riley turned the wrong way, in any event the only mistake was not an immediate fall down, if one can call that a mistake "in the fire of the moment". He gets a pass on that fumble, as painful as it was.

Besides, if we were 10-2 in 2009, then JG is still our coach and Lobo our OC/OL coach. Can't we all just move along and get along. :(

And, as I recall, it was first and goal at that.

Though, to be frank, we didn't really deserve to win that game. Played like garbage on offense for most of it, and I recall us making a really stupid and blatant pass interference during our comeback attempt (without that PI, as I recall, we would have won in regulation).

How dare you criticize the QB who brought success to a place where it's impossible to win, BKF.

Thread, full circle

RB went the wrong way, or Riley turned the wrong way, in any event the only mistake was not an immediate fall down, if one can call that a mistake "in the fire of the moment". He gets a pass on that fumble, as painful as it was.

I don't know so much about that.

It would have been 2nd & goal on the 6 yard line, down 3 points with two more plays to win and a gimme FG to go to another OT if he had just gotten on the ground after the misplay. The only way he fumbles and we lose there is if he tries to make something out of nothing (on 1st down) by rolling out and getting hit from behind. Terrible decision from an experienced QB in that situation.

He definitely gets a pass on that. That was all on the coaches. About a week later, I heard directly from one of the (now former) assistants at the time, that the play called had been run or mentioned in practice a total of maybe two times. Old coaches setting us up to fail, again.

Close losses were part of the equation with the Grobester. He did well to get us in position to potentially win many games, but his conservatism let him down and is why he is currently unemployed

Back