• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe

Winston-Salem State was #38 in scoring offense last season. They're #78 so far this season. Wonder what changed?

Winston-Salem State was #38 in scoring offense last season. They're #78 so far this season. Wonder what changed?

Church-lady.png

"Could it be.....LOBO"

It was a boneheaded call by Lobo. And was typical for him. Using a new formation/scheme for the first time at the tail end of OT when the guys are exhausted already. Just like his implementation of the option play without it being sufficiently ingrained in the players' skill set. You court disaster when you insert radically different plays into your game just for [unnecessary] shock value.
Maybe but 10 people did the right thing and god damn BP would have walked into the endzone if it had been 11.

Ugh, we flew up for that BC game. Most shell-shocked I've ever been after a finish. And we absolutely deserved to win that game - wore them down and were dominant in the last quarter and in overtime. Just a boneheaded play by the RB and Riley ran straight into an unblocked rusher. Not his fault, but man that stung.
We were down 14 with like 4 minutes to play. Hard to say we deserved it. Our only TD before the last few minutes was a ridiculous long run early in the game IIRC.

We were down 14 with like 4 minutes to play. Hard to say we deserved it. Our only TD before the last few minutes was a ridiculous long run early in the game IIRC.

Meh. 17-10 at halftime, then they scored after a horrible pass interference call if I remember at the beginning of the 4th quarter. In the last 10 minutes we scored two touchdowns and they only managed 1 first down. Like many Wake games back then, we dominated that entire quarter on defense and offense - the entire stadium was dead because the BC fans knew what was coming. We dominated overtime on both sides of the ball as well.

Not sure why breaking a long run would mean we didn't deserve to win. We outplayed them when it mattered and overcame a few terrible calls. Only took 4 plays in OT to have 1st and goal from the 3, we just botched one play. To say BC "deserved" that game more than Wake after crumbling in the 4th quarter is laughable.

Just mentioned the long TD run because we averaged like 2 ypc outside of that run so it's not like we were just punishing them up front. I also didn't say they deserved the win either. We went 2.5 quarters between the TD run and our last two TD drives with 70 yards of offense. Riley just got loose and they opened up the offense and BC went into a prevent defense IIRC. Our defense was definitely on point and caused 3 and outs when we needed them. Just kind of an uneven game all around.

1st and goal from the 3 isn't a guaranteed TD either.

That long run was a trap play on a blitz. It happens about once a decade for the Deacs.

That loss crushed me about like the 08 BC loss and 09 Miami loss. 2 games later we take our foot off the gas in the 2nd half vs Maryland, lose all rhythm on offense and never recover.

That loss crushed me about like the 08 BC loss and 09 Miami loss. 2 games later we take our foot off the gas in the 2nd half vs Maryland, lose all rhythm on offense and never recover.

Oh geez, not this again.........

I don't think we've got to worry about that with Clawson. While I'm sure he's not out to embarrass people, after the Gardner Webb game he said he was disappointed that we didn't take advantage of all our opportunties, "because we could've scored 40 or 50 points." I think Grobe was worried we would score 40 or 50 points sometimes.

It's down-right comical that so many "Johnny-Come-Lately's" on this board cannot understand what an impossible job coaching Wake Forest football in the ACC is....especially this ACC. They ignore 60 years of history as if it means nothing.

What Jim Grobe was able to do during those three years from 2006 thru 2008....28 wins & three bowl games....was a once in a lifetime thing. Something akin to Halley's Comet, which comes around once every 76 years. Now, some people seem to think that this should be the standard for future WF football teams. Hilarious.

I agree with part of your original premise in that the success Grobe had through 2008 is quite remarkable, but I do not agree with the second half in that it only comes around once and a blue moon.

- Grobe did a remarkable job during the first half of his tenure at WFU by building a program through very good recruiting, specifically going down into Florida and getting some tremendous athletes.

- The proof that he recruited well during the first half of his tenure is evidenced by winning the ACC in 06, winning Bowl Games in 07 and 08, and having quite a few of those players drafted in the NFL.

However, around the same time of Grobe's success, he stopped doing what got him to the top of the mountain, good recruiting. I do not know if he was happy with just reaching the top of the mountain and just quit, but for some reason Grobe got lazy and stopped using the formula that made him successful. Also, I do not want to hear that we are not able to get good players because of our academic standards because this argument is ludicrous because:

- We were able to get these types of players before.

- Other colleges that have the same academic standards as WFU are able to get enough quality players to go to Bowl Games on a yearly basis, aka Northwestern, Vandy, and most recently Duke. In fact, Stanford has recently built themselves into a Top 10 program (I do not want to hear about their success was due to Andrew Luck because they have been just as good since he graduated).

In summary, overall Grobe's tenure should be viewed as a success. He at least put WFU football on the map, and for almost a decade we were no longer the laughing stock of the ACC. However, he could have achieved more than he did during the 2nd half of his tenure had he capitalized on his success from 06-08 during the recruiting process.

I remember going back and looking at the playcalling in the 2nd half of the Maryland 09 game. We threw the ball alot for a team with a 4 TD lead, but had some penalties and other things that derailed drives. The idea that we went into a shell just isn't accurate.

Grobe did not recruit those players.... his excellent staff recruited them....

I attribute the decline more to the loss of excellent assistants than Grobe quitting and getting lazy.

i wonder how many average ppg grobe's best year was?

I also agree losing assistants really hurt the program. The OB was kind of our undoing in that regard, as it brought a lot of attention to Grobe's staff.

Last edited:
The Calhoun years. Even then it was barely above average offensive production.

Every staff loses assistants. That's what happens with good assistants. The coach has to replace them with more good assistants.

He absolutely didn't hire the beat he could find he promoted from within.

Back