• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

John Wolford drafted (sort of)

That’s not good got the long term future of the league. I thought they were backed by the NFL.

Oh well. Maybe he can bring back the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks and finally get them a win.

The Hotshots are going to go bankrupt when they have to pay all of Wofford's incentive clauses.

The overhead to run a football team is enormous. The rosters are huge; equipment is expensive, major facility needs and insurance premiums must be through the roof. The cost of running a minor league basketball or baseball team is nothing compared to the cost of running a football team (which is why there are large number of those leagues and they remain viable). Hard to see the long-term viability of any professional league outside of the NFL (unless the NFL is willing to absorb the loss). There are so many examples of failed football ventures (USFL, XFL, EFL); just hard to see how a fledgling football league can be self-sustaining.

That's the point. I thought the NFL was willing to absorb the loss for the long term gain. I think the NFL needs to invest in a strong minor league.

Hot Shots play Salt Lake again on Saturday at 3 on Bleacher Report Live.

I hope the league lasts long enough for John to earn another shot at the NFL, if he has not already

Kind of a weak article. I think the best arguments are (1) the need for test league, (2) give marginal NFL players reps beyond the preseason, and (3) to recycle and reuse talent instead of discarding talent to future proof the game in case the talent level dips as future kids play due to injury concerns.

I think the ideal set up would be for the AAF to have a two-part season with 8 teams. Each team is linked to one team from each division. I'd give the NFL teams some freedom to put QBs on different rosters to make sure they get playing time. For example, an NFL team may want to make sure their rookie QB gets AAF reps, but they wouldn't want him playing behind a young veteran QB from another franchise.

The first part of the season is a 6 week season during the first half of the NFL regular season. Televise games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. After that first part of the season is over, NFL teams can bring back their AAF players and put them on the active roster or sign players to their practice squad. I would give teams the option of having smaller practice squads and loaning practice squad players to the AAF during the season. Then, finish the season in the AAF Winter Season between the Super Bowl and NFL Draft. Have the AAF Championship Game on the Sunday before the draft.

Last edited:
Hah, they didn't allow beer, because State wouldn't let them. No wonder they made no money.

I trained with a couple Carolina Cobras players as a youth. TIL that they moved to Greensboro (Biff!) and won the arena league title in 2018.

Looking back the Skyhawks mascot was a solid way to incorporate "First in Flight," the Triangle area, and the fact the only actual "Raleigh-Durham" is the airport. I didn't remember the cheerleaders were the "Kittyhawks." Nice touch. Ohio folks must have gotten a kick out of getting a team after the Skyhawks folder. NC was still true first though.

That's the point. I thought the NFL was willing to absorb the loss for the long term gain. I think the NFL needs to invest in a strong minor league.

Hot Shots play Salt Lake again on Saturday at 3 on Bleacher Report Live.

Why invest in a minor league when the NCAA runs one for you free of charge?

Because they need a place to park all of the fringy guys without college eligibility to keep them fresh/in shape.

Based on NFL teams starting training camp with what, 90 players?, and then getting down to 53, I'd say that's not much of an issue.

I mean, I get it. I've made no secret that I think the AAF is great. The NFL absolutely needs a minor system. They just have no reason to do anything different than what's already been done for them.

Back