• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Judge Moore accused of sexually assaulting/pursuing underage girls in his 30s

Conservatives (especially of the rural kind) aren't really "law and order" types in many ways. They tend to idolize rebels. Stories of moonshiners like Junior Johnson running from "the law" and outrunning (and outwitting) federal tax agents and local cops (revenuers) are a part of rural folklore. Whenever I go to my hometown, I have occasionally met guys I knew in high school who will spit out their hate for cops and the "feds", mainly because they were arrested, convicted, and imprisoned for awhile for drug dealing (meth and opiods), or some other crime. IMO, when conservatives talk about supporting cops and "law and order", it usually applies to supporting "law and order" against minorities, protesters, or other groups they don't like, and are secretly frightened by. It's a very selective support, in that law and order doesn't apply to them so much. It sounds totally contradictory (because it is), but they like Roy Moore because he's a "rebel" and "outlaw" who nonetheless stands up for "law and order" (I'll keep those blacks, Mexicans, uppity college protesters, LibDems, etc. in their place). Just as they have no real problem with welfare programs as long as the programs only assist them, and not "undeserving" others, law and order also shouldn't really apply to them, only to those groups they fear and resent.

So you picked up on all those whistles, huh?

So you picked up on all those whistles, huh?

Democrats can whistle too.

"I can be nicked a lot, but no one can say I'm soft on crime." - Bill Clinton

From The New Jim Crow:
Funding for the Byrne-sponsored drug task forces had begun to dwindle during President Bush's tenure, but Barack Obama, as a presidential candidate, promised to revive the Byrne grant program, claiming that it is "critical to creating the anti-drug task forces our communities need." Obama honored his word following the election, drastically increasing funding for the Byrne grant program despite its abysmal track record. The Economic Recovery Act of 2009 included more than $2 billion in new Byrne funding and an additional $600 million to increase state and local law enforcement across the country.

No one said they didn't whistle.

No one said they didn't whistle.

I didn't mean to imply someone did, but it is a mistake to think this kind of "law and order" racism isn't also pervasive in the democratic party.

I didn't mean to imply someone did, but it is a mistake to think this kind of "law and order" racism isn't also pervasive in the democratic party.

Sure it is. Nobody made the mistake you're talking about.

Sure it is. Nobody made the mistake you're talking about.

I think you are being a bit defensive for no reason. I think that it is somewhat implied in Highland's post, and generally glossed over within the party.

I think you are being a bit defensive for no reason. I think that it is somewhat implied in Highland's post, and generally glossed over within the party.

No doubt it exists in both parties, but I do think it is a mistake to think it is as pervasive among Democrats as it is among Republicans. Certainly polling and surveys don't indicate that, and the GOP's "Southern Strategy" has been around for decades. Clinton no doubt used some dog whistles in his campaigns, but I don't think the evidence indicates that both parties are equally invested in this tactic. If it was, I think you'd see Democratic politicians going after minorities and immigrants as much as Republicans.

No doubt it exists in both parties, but I do think it is a mistake to think it is as pervasive among Democrats as it is among Republicans. Certainly polling and surveys don't indicate that, and the GOP's "Southern Strategy" has been around for decades. Clinton no doubt used some dog whistles in his campaigns, but I don't think the evidence indicates that both parties are equally invested in this tactic. If it was, I think you'd see Democratic politicians going after minorities and immigrants as much as Republicans.

Whataboutism at its finest from MHB.

huh? I was not attempting to refute or dismiss anything regarding conservatives.

But you are trying to change the conversation from a post specifically about Roy Moore's appeal to white rural southerners into a conversation about how both parties dog whistle.

Conservatives (especially of the rural kind) aren't really "law and order" types in many ways. They tend to idolize rebels. Stories of moonshiners like Junior Johnson running from "the law" and outrunning (and outwitting) federal tax agents and local cops (revenuers) are a part of rural folklore. Whenever I go to my hometown, I have occasionally met guys I knew in high school who will spit out their hate for cops and the "feds", mainly because they were arrested, convicted, and imprisoned for awhile for drug dealing (meth and opiods), or some other crime. IMO, when conservatives talk about supporting cops and "law and order", it usually applies to supporting "law and order" against minorities, protesters, or other groups they don't like, and are secretly frightened by. It's a very selective support, in that law and order doesn't apply to them so much. It sounds totally contradictory (because it is), but they like Roy Moore because he's a "rebel" and "outlaw" who nonetheless stands up for "law and order" (I'll keep those blacks, Mexicans, uppity college protesters, LibDems, etc. in their place). Just as they have no real problem with welfare programs as long as the programs only assist them, and not "undeserving" others, law and order also shouldn't really apply to them, only to those groups they fear and resent.

It's the Dukes of Hazzard against Boss Hogg!

In many ways religion in 2017 is just a way to defend your beliefs behind a set of outdated guidelines. "Vote Roy Moore" seems repulsive on its face, so why not throw in some religious mumbo jumbo to compare it to and make it seem like you have a strong basis for the belief.

Back