• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keep Randolph as assistant!

I will look this up as soon as I get a chance but I bet you are wrong. Childress has 2 years experience as an AC under the worst coach in wake forest history. I have to imagine that the 3rd assistants in the ACC bring a lot more to the table than that.

A good example of when you can have a guy like Chill on the bench, though, is Danny Manning. Surround a new 3rd assistant with a top tier staff and folks will project all sorts of accolades on their tenure as an assistant coach.

A good example of when you can have a guy like Chill on the bench, though, is Danny Manning. Surround a new 3rd assistant with a top tier staff and folks will project all sorts of accolades on their tenure as an assistant coach.

Manning spent 3-4 years as team manager before being promoted. He also played over a decade in the NBA which matters. Chill is one of our greats but playing in Turkey isn't the same as being an NBA all star.

Correcting posts is such annoying message board thing to do.

The part you're quoting is not true for third assistants. Whether you think it "should" be true or not.

First of all, you're saying my opinion that Manning should try to get a more experienced 3rd assistant than Childress is "false." You can't say an opinion is false.

Second, a former college assistant coach is telling you your made up fact is incorrect.

It blows my mind that our own fans don't want us to have the best coaching staff possible.

Well that is our direct competition so u would think that is the most applicable. Who are you going to compare us to? Sam Houston state?

Just pointing out that wasn't what I said. But you're still going to find 3rd assistants like Hubert Davis and John Scheyer (getting promoted) in the ACC that are no more qualified than Childress. You shouldn't discount Childress' overseas experience. The majority of ACC players who will play professionally will make their money overseas instead of the NBA.

Chill seems as qualified to be a third assistant as Hubert Davis or Jon Scheyer. All depends on the first two guys though.

Childress nut huggers please tell me what he has done that is outstanding as a coach? Work for Buzz and recruit Rondale??? Love him as a player and all time great but what has he done as a coach?…………..

First of all, you're saying my opinion that Manning should try to get a more experienced 3rd assistant than Childress is "false." You can't say an opinion is false.

Second, a former college assistant coach is telling you your made up fact is incorrect.

It blows my mind that our own fans don't want us to have the best coaching staff possible.

In my post that you "fixed", I said Manning should hire whoever he wants. I just said that whoever get that job will not be much different in quality than Childress.

Only read the first two posts of this thread.

This post hits the nail on the head.

Part of the LOWF mentality is keeping all of our former greats around on payroll without success. Did Childress help the program in any tangible way so that he would be missed if gone? Let's get rid of the stench of Bzz and past losing. Root for him to take a small time HC job and kill it there.

The stench of Bzz does not taint Chill. He came back to WFU at a bad time - Bzz had just been hired . That's not his fault. He was stuck in a horrible situation. Chill doesn't need to go off and get " experience " at some chickenshit school. Have you never played organized basketball? Coaching is not rocket science. You recruit very good players and put them in a position to maximize their talents . Jimmy's and joes mean more than xs and Os . Look at the Uconn coach - no prior head coaching experience . And experience is Overated too- either you have the knack for it or you don't .

In my post that you "fixed", I said Manning should hire whoever he wants. I just said that whoever get that job will not be much different in quality than Childress.

And I said he should try to hire someone more experienced than Childress.

Is there empirical evidence that chill is a better coach/more valuable than Rusty? I'm not disputing it, just surprised that everyone seems to view this as gospel and curious what it is based on...

The stench of Bzz does not taint Chill. He came back to WFU at a bad time - Bzz had just been hired . That's not his fault. He was stuck in a horrible situation. Chill doesn't need to go off and get " experience " at some chickenshit school. Have you never played organized basketball? Coaching is not rocket science. You recruit very good players and put them in a position to maximize their talents . Jimmy's and joes mean more than xs and Os . Look at the Uconn coach - no prior head coaching experience . And experience is Overated too- either you have the knack for it or you don't .

If coaching isn't rocket science then why do we pay them millions to do it? I assure you if anyone could do it then anyone would.

Childress only has one recruit to his name this far: rondale Watson. A no name shooting guard. So if it just getting good players hen we need someone who can do that. If manning wants to keep Childress I have no problem with that but it isn't though Randolph has shown any evidence that he deserves it.

Is there empirical evidence that chill is a better coach/more valuable than Rusty? I'm not disputing it, just surprised that everyone seems to view this as gospel and curious what it is based on...

Rusty recruited haas. Pretty big oops on his part to get snookered at the last minute by painter. Just shows his inexperience.

If coaching isn't rocket science then why do we pay them millions to do it? I assure you if anyone could do it then anyone would.

Childress only has one recruit to his name this far: rondale Watson. A no name shooting guard. So if it just getting good players hen we need someone who can do that. If manning wants to keep Childress I have no problem with that but it isn't though Randolph has shown any evidence that he deserves it.

You can't read. I said Randolph has been working under a moron and with billboards and negativity making it impossible to recruit. How can you impute the incompetence and cancer of Bzz to Chill?

That's great unlikely to happen, but whatever.

We had Corbean as a 3rd assistant for years. You act like getting somebody with 3 years of experience for a winning team is impossible.

You can't read. I said Randolph has been working under a moron and with billboards and negativity making it impossible to recruit. How can you impute the incompetence and cancer of Bzz to Chill?

RC also took a calculated risk by taking that coaching position--yes, he may be a good recruiter and a good coach, but we don't have a ton of evidence to support that. Similar to how DM may be a great coach, but he hasn't really proven anything yet. Given his connections, he should be able to put together an experienced staff.

I think an analogous situation is the UConn coaching staff--Ollie is not terribly experienced, but his staff is. Yes, his third assistant is rather green, but the experience of the others makes up for it.

For our sake, let us hope that Manning puts together the absolute BEST coaching staff possible. This is not a time for Wake Basketball to get sentimental--if DM fails we will be looking at nearly a decade of irrelevance.

It all comes down to who the rest of the coaching staff is.

It's very silly to compare Duke and Carolina to Wake Forest. Take Duke. Their head coach will be in the hall of fame. Their #1 assistant has 13 years of head coaching experience, 5 years of assistant experience. Their #2 assistant has 5 years of high major assistant experience. So, yes, it's a bit different deal to have an unproven #3 assistant than it would be with a 3rd year head coach where neither the #1 or #2 assistant have any high major coaching experience (if Manning moves his Tulsa staff over).

Now, if instead, Wake pulls Norm Roberts from Self's staff to be the associate head coach (currently KU's #2, with 6 years high major head coaching experience, 11 years on Self's bench, and 1 on Donovans) and Ulric Maligi from Brown's staff to be the #2 (currently SMU's #2, with 4 years of low-major experience, 2 years on Houston's bench, and 2 on Brown's) then I think it would be awesome to have Childress as the #3.

Note: Ulric more illustrative than anything..has the perfect resume to recruit Texas, which isn't necessarily what we want.

Seems like with Manning as head coach we should fill up all the assistant spots with people who have successful experience as coaches. I know the third spot is often a likable personality, or former star, but we already have one of those as head coach. If Chill is the best option for a third assistant that is fine with me. But if you have options with more coaching experience it's hard to make an argument to keep Chill on staff, as he is a bit redundant now.

ETA: If Chill can teach CMM how to shoot a jump shot then he should be asst. for as long as he wants to be.

There is so much "WTF" in this post. Jesus Christ man take off your Chill homer glasses. In your rush to hire Chill you are staking out some pretty ridiculous positions.

Back