• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keep Randolph as assistant!

I think that Wellman's hands have been tied by Hatch and the BoT as a result of the Buzz disaster. His behavior around the hire was simply inexplicable and irresponsible. Most everyone could see that. Wellman may have been told by higher ups to get better student athletes into the program but Buzz with his losing and apparent arrogant incoherence was not what the powers that be had in mind. And the resulting financial losses were certainly not what they had in mind. So, Wellman was told to get rid of Buzz, and he was not given a free hand in the hiring of replacements for Grobe or Buzz. Wellman has been allowed to stay on, to appear publicly to be formally making the hires, and until he finishes his stint with the NCAA selection committee. Then, he will be honorably retired. This way, the leadership probably believes, is - under the circumstances - the least embarrassing possible alternative for the university and for them. And oh yeah, they probably told Wellman to shut up and say as little in public as possible.

The big questions now become who will replace Wellman and what changes will be made in the athletic department to get Wake athletics into the 21st century? How can we create athletic programs that can compete successfully at the highest levels and still be a part of a top national university? Wellman and LOWF are obviously not the answer. Stay tuned.

I would think so. The Bz experiment was clearly a disaster and all RW's making. Having the head coach keep the assistants was just terrible. They tried that with Roy at UNC-Ch by trying to make him keep legend Phil Ford and he told them to stick it. You can't make a head coach of any caliber keep around assistants who you the AD wants. It has to be who the head coach wants and trusts with the job. But that is the arrogance of RW to try & tell people what to do and it backfired hugely. Now it is time for the Danny Manning era to start and winning to come back to Wake Forest basketball.

Dear god it's Randolph Childress a heartless assassin to competitors and a deacon legend. Happy as hell he is on our side of the bench. He overcame a torn acl got plenty of those on this team played the 95 ACC tourney with a bad shoulder he couldn't practice or raise it above his head and drops 40. He has a ton of heart and a ton to offer these kids..

Last edited:
Dear god it's Randolph Childress a heartless assassin to competitors and a deacon legend. Happy as hell he is on our side of the bench. He overcame a torn acl got plenty of those on this team played the 95 ACC tourney with a bad shoulder he couldn't practice or raise it above his head and drops 40. He has a ton of heart and a ton to offer these kids..

Yes

Manning on Chill:

"I am thrilled to have Randolph as a member of my staff at Wake Forest," said Manning. "I thought it was important to have someone who is familiar with the University, the players on the team and our recruiting areas.

"Randolph is one of the best and most beloved players in the history of Wake Forest basketball. His connection to Wake Forest, from current players, to former players, to alumni and fans, is something I feel is valuable to have on my staff. I have gotten to know Randolph, and he is someone who I think is going to be a star in the coaching profession."

Manning on Chill:

"I am thrilled to have Randolph as a member of my staff at Wake Forest," said Manning. "I thought it was important to have someone who is familiar with the University, the players on the team and our recruiting areas.

"Randolph is one of the best and most beloved players in the history of Wake Forest basketball. His connection to Wake Forest, from current players, to former players, to alumni and fans, is something I feel is valuable to have on my staff. I have gotten to know Randolph, and he is someone who I think is going to be a star in the coaching profession."

In other words...

"I needed a big swinging dick on my staff, other than mine!"

Lolol Rondale, I think.

yeah... this is why I wanted Manning to pick some people that have proven recruiting success. Chill is great as a fundraiser working with the golden age deacs but the younger crowd doesn't seem to be as happy with this retention.

I hope he proves me wrong but I feel like someone who fully believes they're already a legend doesn't think they have anything left to prove as an assistant coach or on the recruiting trail. Hopefully he realizes that to truly be a part of leading Wake to success he needs to work harder than he ever has before.

Good to see that Chill's got a new lease on his coaching life at Mother So Dear.

yeah... this is why I wanted Manning to pick some people that have proven recruiting success. Chill is great as a fundraiser working with the golden age deacs but the younger crowd doesn't seem to be as happy with this retention.

I hope he proves me wrong but I feel like someone who fully believes they're already a legend doesn't think they have anything left to prove as an assistant coach or on the recruiting trail. Hopefully he realizes that to truly be a part of leading Wake to success he needs to work harder than he ever has before.

If that was a legit issue then why would Childress want to be an assistant coach here in the first place? Seems like a baseless concern to me.

This is wrong on so many levels.

I probably fall in this category. I am too young to have an emotional attachment to Childress so I kind of read a lot of these posts and chuckle at the hilarity our fanbase foaming at the mouth to hire an assistant coach with essentially no coaching experience (aside from some time under Buzz) and no track record of recruiting success (except for Rondale Watson). Everything posted on here about Chill's recruiting and player development prowess is conjecture and wishful thinking. Maybe he will become a star in the profession, but lets be real, he might also be a dud and we are putting ourselves in a position where we might have ot fire him a second time.

It is disappointing to me that a coach with Manning's supposed connections in the coaching world could not hire a more heralded staff. This is the best we could do given his supposed connections to Larry Brown and Bill Self. Didn't some poster come on here and rave about how much Larry Brown loved him and he would make sure Manning was hooked up with an incredible staff?

I probably fall in this category. I am too young to have an emotional attachment to Childress so I kind of read a lot of these posts and chuckle at the hilarity our fanbase foaming at the mouth to hire an assistant coach with essentially no coaching experience (aside from some time under Buzz) and no track record of recruiting success (except for Rondale Watson). Everything posted on here about Chill's recruiting and player development prowess is conjecture and wishful thinking. Maybe he will become a star in the profession, but lets be real, he might also be a dud and we are putting ourselves in a position where we might have ot fire him a second time.

It is disappointing to me that a coach with Manning's supposed connections in the coaching world could not hire a more heralded staff. This is the best we could do given his supposed connections to Larry Brown and Bill Self. Didn't some poster come on here and rave about how much Larry Brown loved him and he would make sure Manning was hooked up with an incredible staff?

I think Childress will make a good assistant coach and also believe its a good idea for our program to start grooming a Wake Forest coaching tree. But your issue is more with who Manning hired to occupy the top two spots than it is with Childress. The third assistant does not make or break a staff.

I think Childress will make a good assistant coach and also believe its a good idea for our program to start grooming a Wake Forest coaching tree. But your issue is more with who Manning hired to occupy the top two spots than it is with Childress. The third assistant does not make or break a staff.

Unless none of the assistants measure up to expectations one would have for a staff for a young coach like DM in the ACC... Chill is an awesome guy and will likely be competent at worst as an AC, but it doesn't change the facts of the situation.

Screw you. Go away

Childress was always going to be on the next staff, even before [name redacted] was canned. I'm sure Manning likes him just fine, but I don't think he had a say in the matter.

That being said, I'm optimistic about Chill's ability to work with guards and recruit in-state.

I think that Wellman's hands have been tied by Hatch and the BoT as a result of the Buzz disaster. His behavior around the hire was simply inexplicable and irresponsible. Most everyone could see that. Wellman may have been told by higher ups to get better student athletes into the program but Buzz with his losing and apparent arrogant incoherence was not what the powers that be had in mind. And the resulting financial losses were certainly not what they had in mind. So, Wellman was told to get rid of Buzz, and he was not given a free hand in the hiring of replacements for Grobe or Buzz. Wellman has been allowed to stay on, to appear publicly to be formally making the hires, and until he finishes his stint with the NCAA selection committee. Then, he will be honorably retired. This way, the leadership probably believes, is - under the circumstances - the least embarrassing possible alternative for the university and for them. And oh yeah, they probably told Wellman to shut up and say as little in public as possible.

The big questions now become who will replace Wellman and what changes will be made in the athletic department to get Wake athletics into the 21st century? How can we create athletic programs that can compete successfully at the highest levels and still be a part of a top national university? Wellman and LOWF are obviously not the answer. Stay tuned.

If so, someone forgot to keep their hand on the leash when he did his little goodbye to Jeff Bzdelick press conference. That was embarrassing.

Back