• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keep Randolph as assistant!

Like déjà vu all over again. You keep making the same mistakes in the name of fandom. Just like Odom, Skip, Dino, and Bz. You missed hard on all of them and now you're going into this too optimistic.

These kind of quotes are why we are, where we are.

I must of forgotten Skip putting Muggsy on staff, just to appease the rich foggies who want to recognize someone on the bench.

Well said. I don't know why Childress can't just get a job away from MSD and be successful like the rest of us. The idea that he has to be here if he wants to coach here someday is ridiculous.

Same mistakes over again.

Like déjà vu all over again. You keep making the same mistakes in the name of fandom. Just like Odom, Skip, Dino, and Bz. You missed hard on all of them and now you're going into this too optimistic.

Yep. I really missed hard on [Redacted] when I said he was a disaster the day he was hired.

If Manning can take us to 6 NCAA trips in the next 7 years, be named ACC coach of the year 3 times during that span, win a regular season league title for the first time in 30 plus years (guess he can't do that one) and two ACC tourney titles (after a 30 plus year drought - guess he can't do that one), get us to the Sweet 16 three times and take us to an Elite 8, I'd be pretty hard pressed to consider his record a failure given he is essentially starting from the same (if not a better) position than Odom.

Or perhaps he'll get us to the Sweet 16, win a regular season title, be named coach of the year, collect 100 wins faster than all but 2 other ACC coaches in history and get us to a No. 1 ranking for the first time in school history (guess he can't do that one) all within 4 years. Because that too is apparently failure.

It's really easy to be a miserable douchebag and take pot shots about how X or Y isn't good enough. It is even easier to predict failure. Because when it comes to major college sports most coaches don't ever win a national title or go to 9 straight Final Fours, much less even win a single conference title. Predicting failure is easy. It's also easy, as you are prone to do, to look at success that is achieved and proclaim that it wasn't enough. That it should have been more or done a different way - which is something you also love to do.

It's easy to pick out all the warts. That's your schtick. And those who don't play along with your little game are always settling. This is nothing more than a stupid game you play. You'll tell us all about how much you hope Manning succeeds, and I'm sure you want him to. But what you'll also do is wait around and then proclaim some time in the future that he isn't meeting expectations. And you'll move and mold those expectations as you go. Because that's what miserable douche bags like you do. If he wins you'll claim he could have won more. If he loses you'll claim he never was good enough. You will write things like he deserves more blame for his failures and whatever success he achieves will be for some other reason - that his role was minor. That's just you being your typical twatish self, feeding your inner troll. And it will go beyond Manning. No matter what he does - good or bad - you'll write about how other people here are settling.

His record will speak for itself. And that is what he should be judged upon. In the meantime, maybe you should apply some of the same standards to which you hold those that represent our university with any measure of success to your own lifetime accomplishments. Getting a doctorate is great and everything. No doubt that was a big time accomplishment. I think it was from Dook too - which is some really high cotton. But what the fuck, you're teaching and doing research at the 170th ranked national university in the country. Shouldn't someone as bright, capable and critical of others like you be holding your own career achievements to a much higher standard than teaching at a school that is roughly the academic equivalent of VCU or ECU. Or is that being too optimistic of what you are really capable of doing?

As for me being too optimistic, whatever. I'd rather believe our new coach can be a success. And I'd rather see us be loyal to the greatest warrior Wake hoops has ever known than to toss him aside and proclaim from on high he can't succeed simply because his last boss was a stiff. I want to see what he can do with a fresh start. Manning and Childress are both winners. Assuming Childress get's a spot at the table, I'm more than happy to let them take their best shot and I'm going to choose to believe they can succeed. If they have an arch of success at all like Odom and Prosser, I'll enjoy the ride. If they sustain it even longer than those guys, all the better. If they fail I'm sure you'll be here to tell us all how you were right. So you'll have that going for you.

lol. Holy crap man. Chiiiiiilllllll. Can people now have their own predictions about the coach? Or should we all say that he's going to win 45 games a season like you? No matter what his opinion, I can guarantee you that he WANTS Manning to succeed.

Give the "Prosser was a bad hire" stuff a rest Ph. Have you convinced anybody yet? And calling Odom a bad hire is probably even more Butthead of you.

lol. Holy crap man. Chiiiiiilllllll. Can people now have their own predictions about the coach? Or should we all say that he's going to win 45 games a season like you? No matter what his opinion, I can guarantee you that he WANTS Manning to succeed.

Yep. I just don't live in a fantasy world to do it.

Biff, never said Skip was a bad hire. I said it wasn't enough to justify the "In Wellman I Trust" narrative because he just found the best coach in Ohio he could get.

I think Clawson is doing great but he's another Ohio hire. That doesn't show Wellman has some great and unique talent for identifying coaching prospects.

Last edited:
DeacMan throws the gauntlet down! FWIW, DeacMan hated the Bz hire from the moment it was rumored.

BTW, it appears that Wellman learned his lesson that insisting that certain assistants stay was a disaster (really bothers me that RW has not owned up to the fact that keeping Battle and Larue on staff was part of the deal with the Bz hire; just admit it, and concede that it was stupid). I hope Manning goes with a completely new staff, but as long as it his decision (and not influenced by RW), would understand why Manning might choose to keep one of the prior assistants on staff. Could also understand why he would not want any of them back.

Last edited:
Do you not realize how many of our players would have transferred already if not for Chill? Travis would have been gone 2 years ago. He connects with the players. I want a warrior on the bench who has been there and done that- hit a 3 pointer in grant hills face to win a game in Cameron , hit 5 straight 3s in the Joel in successive trips down the court , 107 in the ACCT, cut down the nets, scored 20 pts a game 3 straight years, hit more game winning shots than anyone I can recall on the college level... Letting him go would be a HUGE mistake. Not to mention that he has a son who is connected with local recruits and is becoming an ACC level recruit. Do you want Chill's son lighting us up for another team? Get a grip
I would love to have Chill killing it on our bench. Even more, I would love to have Chill coming back to kill it on our bench after spending a few years working with one of the elite coaches, having grown and made a name for himself as a coach.

Childress's philosophy on coaching is that you get the talent, and that's what matters. ala a Calipari model. He thinks he can go into any room and sell, and I wouldn't bet against Randolph Childress, he sold me.

Randolph Childress wants to be our head coach someday, and we deserve to give him everything we can to make that happen. I can just look at CMM yr1 to yr2 to say there's some evidence he can coach guards.

Can you share more about this specifics of this? In what setting did Chill sell you and what did he say/do?

I would love to have Chill killing it on our bench. Even more, I would love to have Chill coming back to kill it on our bench after spending a few years working with one of the elite coaches, having grown and made a name for himself as a coach.
Shaka has an opening.

hell Coach k does too

Do I love what Chill was able to do for this program 2 decades ago? You bet your ass I do. Do I think someday he can become a good coach? possibly. What I do know is this. A new head coach should be able to bring in whomever he wants as his assistants. He should not be told to keep certain people on staff etc... As a coach, what has Childress done to deserve to be considered for the position? Everyone that wants him just seems to point back to what he did as a player. Does that mean Taron Downey should be on our staff because of how we all felt about him as a player (and no I am not saying he was as successful a player as Chill)? He has not shown me a damn thing as a coach that would warrant keeping him here. If Manning himself feels that Chilldress would be a good assistant for his staff, then I will support him. But just because he was a hell of a player is not the reasons I want him to be here as an assistant.

Wasn't Chase Mr. Basketball in West Virginia? Not exactly a hot bed of talent coming from West Va.
Chase just wasn't athletic enough to play at ACC level. Some pretty good players have come out of the coal mines

Do I love what Chill was able to do for this program 2 decades ago? You bet your ass I do. Do I think someday he can become a good coach? possibly. What I do know is this. A new head coach should be able to bring in whomever he wants as his assistants. He should not be told to keep certain people on staff etc... As a coach, what has Childress done to deserve to be considered for the position? Everyone that wants him just seems to point back to what he did as a player. Does that mean Taron Downey should be on our staff because of how we all felt about him as a player (and no I am not saying he was as successful a player as Chill)? He has not shown me a damn thing as a coach that would warrant keeping him here. If Manning himself feels that Chilldress would be a good assistant for his staff, then I will support him. But just because he was a hell of a player is not the reasons I want him to be here as an assistant.
Of course Manning should make that decision . If you will read my first post, you will find more reasons than he was a legendary player. Comparing him to Tarion Downey is ridiculous. His connections with the players, knowledge of the game, WINNING experience as a player, confidence and moxy, and connections with some big time local recruits are other reasons. I'll bet the house that he stays .

Of course Manning should make that decision . If you will read my first post, you will find more reasons than he was a legendary player. Comparing him to Tarion Downey is ridiculous. His connections with the players, knowledge of the game, WINNING experience as a player, confidence and moxy, and connections with some big time local recruits are other reasons. I'll bet the house that he stays .

What connection? Our guards have been mediocre at best since he is here. If he is so great at connecting with big time local recruits, why hasn't he helped us land any?

It's clear as day that you are allowing his playing days to cloud your judgement as to what his coaching credentials are.

Back