• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keep the tournament out of Greensboro

What do you look for while traveling for basketball? Like Stig says, what's wrong with basketball and drinking? We have that here.

What do you look for while traveling for basketball? Like Stig says, what's wrong with basketball and drinking? We have that here.

I'll take "What is the conference with the best teams top to bottom" for $800, Alex.

meh.ro5776.jpg

JDawg I wasn't saying that the ACC is the best top to bottom this year (far from it). What I was saying was that ESPN cares far more about marketability and advertisement during games than in what city or how big the conference HQ is.

JDawg I wasn't saying that the ACC is the best top to bottom this year (far from it). What I was saying was that ESPN cares far more about marketability and advertisement during games than in what city or how big the conference HQ is.

double_facepalm.png

Whoa dude! You know how to post pictures?! That is so much more awesome than making a counter argument in which you state your point out right. High Five!

There is no argument, you completely missed my original point. Nowhere did I say that the ACC deserved a better TV contract.

I was living in Maryland and went to this. Attendence was pretty good for the Wake/State game. It was a preview of what to expect post CP3. It was one of the more miserable experiences of my life.

I was there too....and ended up on the front page of the sports section trying to buy tickets...or maybe sell my parents' books after we lost.

There is no argument, you completely missed my original point. Nowhere did I say that the ACC deserved a better TV contract.

Your point was that ESPN pays attention to the location of the conference HQ more than the quality of teams playing, was it not?

the beauty about playing somewhere where it is desirable to be, like DC, is there are a million things you can do for entertainment after your team loses.

lol @ people who are trying to pimp out DC.

DC had the ACC Tournament in 2005 when the ACC was still a good basketball conference and it failed. Attendance was awful and the ACC hasn't been back since.

There's a greater chance that DV7 and IrishSlim will suck on Jeff [Redacted]'s cock than there is of the ACC choosing DC over Greensboro.

Tampa was also the worst location for the ACC Tournament ever. There is a 0% chance that the state of Florida will ever host the ACC Tournament ever again.

Last edited:
I'll say there's clearly a split between people who live in or near North Carolina (who generally prefer the Greensboro location) and those who do not. The impact of Pitt and Syracuse on the dynamics of the tournament should be interesting for a few reasons:

1) It adds a few fan bases that (unlike BC or Miami for instance) will definitely care about their programs in general and the conference tournament.
2) Won't be in driving distance from North Carolina for a weekend tournament
3) Even moreso than the (lack of) entertainment aspect of Greensboro, it is not at all a friendly city to travel to if you have to fly in. Very few direct flights, they're expensive, etc.

Compare it to NYC, with its proximity to 3 large airports, similar proximity to its' conferences fan bases, (and recently standard of play, although that will cycle), and the fact that a weekend in New York is an attractive proposition for before/after games, and it's not a coincidence that the Big East Tournament has been more successful in recent years than the ACC tournament. The proximity to so many businesses that bring their vendors and fill the place certainly helps as well.

Put simply, for a Maryland, Pitt, or Syracuse alum, or any ACC alum living in the Northeast (and there are a good number of those), Greensboro is a tough annual destination. And that makes the tournament destined to fail there unless a good number of Wake/NCSU/Clemson/UVA/GT all join Duke and UNC fan bases in creating a great atmosphere with multiple fan bases fully invested in the weekend.

Whether rotating locations or making DC/NYC or somewhere else the permanent location or just hoping the teams near NC are good every year is the better solution, I have no idea. The old amazing conference tournament atmosphere of the past for so many conferences may just be a relic of the past and a casualty of the forming superconferences.

Your point was that ESPN pays attention to the location of the conference HQ more than the quality of teams playing, was it not?

You can't possibly be that dumb. Of course that wasn't my point.

Bullshit. UNC, Duke, FSU are tournament teams, with maybe a fourth thrown in. ACC is not good.

We're 5th in the conference rankings in KenPom and Sagarin. Virginia is definitely going to make the tournament as well and State and Miami both have good shots.

Some of you guys just want things to be bad so you can complain

Apparently I am since this was your post:

Considering no additional information was given, what other conclusion is there?

That the ACC is a backwards conference with a HQ on a fucking golf course.

lol @ people who are trying to pimp out DC.

DC had the ACC Tournament in 2005 when the ACC was still a good basketball conference and it failed. Attendance was awful and the ACC hasn't been back since.

There's a greater chance that DV7 and IrishSlim will suck on Jeff [Redacted]'s cock than there is of the ACC choosing DC over Greensboro.

Tampa was also the worst location for the ACC Tournament ever. There is a 0% chance that the state of Florida will ever host the ACC Tournament ever again.

This +1000.

Back