• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods being honored for senior night

85 teams better than Wake Forest is a lot (too many). Among the teams better than WF with a fraction of monetary and facilities commitment of Wake Forest:

Northern Kentucky
Buffalo
Belmont
Montana
South Dakota State
Vermont
South Dakota (yes, somehow there are two schools in South Dakota better than WF; think about that; it's not like SD produces great in-state talent; so, whomever each school brings in, couldn't have a ton of other inviting options to choose South Dakota or SD State)
Vermont (see South Dakota)
Davidson (this one is perfect; WF has every imaginable edge on Davidson; Davidson is Wake Forest Lite, WF has the advantage to spend money on every imaginable facility upgrade, WF is in the ACC, no player on Davidson would've gotten a sniff from WF, yet they are objectively better)
Boise State (football school in Idaho; better than WF)
Murray State
Loyola-Chicago

we'd be the 4th best team in Conference USA
the 5th best team in the Mountain West
the 4th best team in the A10

don't look now, but who is that team one spot below us...

you have watched this team all season and think they're only 85 teams better than us? dont we only have like 10 wins?

Pretty much. It’s not exact and knowell’s actually right that at least some of our “luck” rating (which I think was poorly named on KP’s part) is representative of an actual phenomenon of choking away games and not simple randomness.

However, it’s the best (or close to the best) rating system we have. For some reason you are all capable of understanding:

1. Beating North Carolina is harder than beating North Carolina Central,

2. Winning on the road is harder than winning at home,

3. Winning by 15 is harder than winning by 5, and

4. Winning by 15 at a slow pace is harder than winning by 15 at a fast pace.

But can’t understand or accept a system that accounts for all of those things when rating teams.

Yeah, I saw that CEZ abbreviation for Nymburk and my brain went to a country from 25 years ago. Oops.

So add Czech Republic to the list.

85 teams better than Wake Forest is a lot (too many). Among the teams better than WF with a fraction of monetary and facilities commitment of Wake Forest:

Northern Kentucky
Buffalo
Belmont
Montana
South Dakota State
Vermont
South Dakota (yes, somehow there are two schools in South Dakota better than WF; think about that; it's not like SD produces great, or any, in-state talent; so, whomever each school brings in, lacked any inviting hoop offers to choose South Dakota or SD State)
Vermont (see South Dakota)
Davidson (this one is perfect; WF has every imaginable edge on Davidson, including admissions selectivity; Davidson is Wake Forest Lite, WF has the advantage to spend money on every imaginable facility upgrade, WF is in the ACC, no player on Davidson would've gotten a sniff from WF, yet they are objectively better)
Boise State (football school in Idaho; better than WF)
Murray State
Loyola-Chicago

WF should never fall below 60 in any objective basketball ranking system, ever. There just aren't that many schools that have the competitive basketball edges that WF has.

Does home court advantage matter. For instance, Murray State clearly has one. We do not (imho) far too often.

we'd be the 4th best team in Conference USA
the 5th best team in the Mountain West
the 4th best team in the A10

don't look now, but who is that team one spot below us...

What places did Georgia Southern, Drake and Liberty finish in their respective conferences because we would be one spot below them in each.

stats dont tell everything. i have watched high school teams that would beat this years wake team. and i know those high school teams arnt in the top 85 best college teams. we have 10 wins. if a team has 20...i dont care who they play, they have shown way more than this wake team. quit trying to sugar coat this season. we suck. like worse than top 150 suck.

stats dont tell everything. i have watched high school teams that would beat this years wake team. and i know those high school teams arnt in the top 85 best college teams. we have 10 wins. if a team has 20...i dont care who they play, they have shown way more than this wake team. quit trying to sugar coat this season. we suck. like worse than top 150 suck.

faded641e4f01b581e50143e1d87140e.jpg

Not sure why so many people sh!t on j gray for his sr year. He was not a classic pg and had to play a lead guard roll after cp3 left. It was frustrating that they struggled to find their identity most of the year but they won two in the acc tourney. Had they played like that all season they would have been in the big dance.

The blame lies on recruiting. We just didn’t have the horses to win after losing four of our top 6 players. The burden was on four seniors who had no help.

I remember after joe dukes shit all over some terrible team someone (I think SkinsNDeacs but not 100% sure) started a thread that was titled WE FOUND OUR POINT GUARD. Good times.

I believe in Joe Dukes 1st game or so, he tied or broke Chris Paul's one game assist record. He wasn't all bad.

That's a lot of dumb crammed into one post...

I can't find that Joe Dukes game. I remember that happening, but I can't find it.

I did find out that Justin Gray had 10 turnovers in a game twice in the first 4 games of 2005-06. 10! Clearly, we needed a PG that season. In his defense, Gray was playing out of position and he had some HUGE games that year.

Found it. Was against Charleston Southern (87-47 win on 12/30/2005). He actually was named co-ACC Rookie of the Week (w/ Tyler Hansbrough).

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010306aab.html

Wow, I have no recollection of that at all. Dug into the record books and Ish Smith had 3 games with dbl digit assists his freshman season, 11 twice and 15 assists in the double OT loss in the ACCT against Ga. Tech. Didn't Harvey Hale go HAM in that game with 30+ pts by making 3 after 3 after 3??

ETA: Nope! Had 1 point in regulation, then scored 21 pts in the OT's to propel the Deacs to the win 114-112. What a crazy game that was.

Last edited:
Not sure why so many people sh!t on j gray for his sr year. He was not a classic pg and had to play a lead guard roll after cp3 left. It was frustrating that they struggled to find their identity most of the year but they won two in the acc tourney. Had they played like that all season they would have been in the big dance.

That team started well too and was in the top 25, it ended well, just lost like 10 straight...wtf?

Back