• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

Because that's when professors tell you to come see them.

He’s got a point. That’s when they tell you to come to their office.

Professors have to have office hours. That doesn't mean they actually want students to show. They have other things to do.

I am sort of on the other side of this, as a sort of Prof that writes grants for projects to support PhD students and post-docs. I definitely sympathize with students and increasing wages (I had to enroll my kids in Medicaid as a grad student 15 years ago), but, in my field at least, increasing wages will mean there are simply fewer positions to give out. The amount of money to pay graduate students and fund research projects is finite and not growing, especially not on pace with inflation, so budgeting on research projects becomes a zero sum game. Here is one anecdote: I am currently trying to get a grant/contract together for a PhD student project that includes $25K in annual salary, plus health benefits and free tuition for 4 years. The funder has now told me that the budget is simply too big at $250K and they need me to cut $35k over the 4 years. That basically means I'll only have 3.5 years of funding, which is too short for a dissertation. Meanwhile the student I offered the position to said she really wants to come work with me, but is asking to up the salary to $30K. The student has a reasonable request, but I have no options for increasing the funding. It's a squeeze from both sides.

This is project specific funding, which means the money available is dependent on the funder and how much they value the proposed work. Frankly, funders and society at large is putting less and less value on academic research. TA positions are a different story. That money is sourced form tuitions $ at the university and those decisions are solely the purview of the University. Still, I think that increases in TA stipends will likely lead to fewer positions available.
Good news! The funder caved and funded the full $250K. Now to find another $5K per year somewhere to support the student.

I think there is also a bean counting component. Professors are rewarded to supervising and graduating PhD students, so individual professors try to bring on students with out thinking about the job market and future for those students. Programs at Universities get rewards and prestige from producing PhDs, the provost might reward the program with more funding or what ever. Then Universities, get extra points in the US News and World Reports rankings for producing more PhDs. Basically the system is rewarding it's self for producing a product but society at large is not sure they need/want the product.

Eh, not in my field.

Grad student enrollments stay high because faculty don’t tell you how bad the market is when you’re considering their institution, in large part because graduate students are cheap labor, tasked to do all of the work professors don’t want to do in undergraduate education: teaching required low level courses, teaching sections, grading papers, writing recommendations and serve as references, and directly interfacing with students.

I don’t recommend that any of my undergrads go to grad school anymore.

There shouldn’t be any new PhDs issued until the boomers relinquish their tenure track jobs. Until then, what advisers put us through is borderline fraudulent, using our passion as a means of obscuring our exploitation.

I’m a postdoc now. It’s a lot better at my institution but I don’t work in a lab. I feel for those who do.

Ph and birdman, please don’t take this post personally. Just gotta tell it from the perspective of someone who’s been there a bit more recently than y’all.

Eh, not in my field.

Grad student enrollments stay high because faculty don’t tell you how bad the market is when you’re considering their institution, in large part because graduate students are cheap labor, tasked to do all of the work professors don’t want to do in undergraduate education: teaching required low level courses, teaching sections, grading papers, writing recommendations and serve as references, and directly interfacing with students.

I don’t recommend that any of my undergrads go to grad school anymore.

There shouldn’t be any new PhDs issued until the boomers relinquish their tenure track jobs. Until then, what advisers put us through is borderline fraudulent, using our passion as a means of obscuring our exploitation.

I’m a postdoc now. It’s a lot better at my institution but I don’t work in a lab. I feel for those who do.

Ph and birdman, please don’t take this post personally. Just gotta tell it from the perspective of someone who’s been there a bit more recently than y’all.
I don't taking it personally. I think different fields have different issues that all amount to underfunding grad student and post-doc labor. My description applies pretty well for two ecology programs at two R1 universities in the Southeast. We are essentially describing two different ways that selfish administrators and professors exploit the hopes dreams and passions of young people. FWIW I don't do this.

I don't taking it personally. I think different fields have different issues that all amount to underfunding grad student and post-doc labor. My description applies pretty well for two ecology programs at two R1 universities in the Southeast. We are essentially describing two different ways that selfish administrators and professors exploit the hopes dreams and passions of young people. FWIW I don't do this.

I know you don’t. You seem like a good dude.

Student: Hello Professor PhDeac, I'd like to talk about my paper.
PhDeac: Sorry, I'm arguing with BiffTannen. Come back never.

That’s the cushy dream everyone is aspiring to, and nobody relinquishes until they are 80 or die.

LOL, she's wearing a mask.

Unions will force you to mask up !!!! Even if you're OUTSIDE !!!!!

Is there a strike fund?
Here you go: https://givebutter.com/uc-uaw

I gotta say, I have been fortunate to be part of a lot of movements in my lifetime, and I feel confident saying that what's happening in California is going to be a game changer for marginalized academic workers in higher ed. I don't think I've ever been part of a labor mobilization that was that big, well-coordinated, and energetic. What a day.

Here you go: https://givebutter.com/uc-uaw

I gotta say, I have been fortunate to be part of a lot of movements in my lifetime, and I feel confident saying that what's happening in California is going to be a game changer for marginalized academic workers in higher ed. I don't think I've ever been part of a labor mobilization that was that big, well-coordinated, and energetic. What a day.
Solidarity!

Strick, do you have any good links outlining what the workers are asking for? I want to read up on this.

Back