• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lengthy [Redacted] Interview with Gold Rush

Well, I'd argue his recruiting has actually been looking pretty solid lately. Outside of that, I don't care if he's terrible with the media. I don't care if his speeches about discipline and culture somehow offends Wake alumni(I don't think it does). I don't care if Wellman speaks at pressers. I don't care what recruiting services who labeled Ty Walker a 5 star can't-miss center think of our recruits.

All I know is that when I was growing up in Atlanta before I was a Wake fan, some quiet old boring coach was winning ACC championships and putting Wake on the national scene year after year. Then we tried to take another step forward with a popular, fan-friendly, top tier coach who brought us to the brink of greatness before tragically dying.

[Redacted] sure reminds me of Odom who went 3-11 his first year. He gets 3 years to prove it. Looking at a single year when we knew we'd suck anyway even before losing our only point guard and starting center, and rushing to these set-in-stone judgments is ridiculous though.

I think the recruiting has looked ok so far. At this point, we are hoping that 2 of our 3 recruits might slip into the top 100 players in the country. And I haven't heard anybody suggest that any of our commits project as early entry candidates.

I'm happy to have the guys committed. But I don't yet see that we have obtained commitments from guys who can be anything better than role players on a top 25 team. When Coach [Redacted] does that, then I will be impressed with his recruiting.

Well, I'd argue his recruiting has actually been looking pretty solid lately. Outside of that, I don't care if he's terrible with the media. I don't care if his speeches about discipline and culture somehow offends Wake alumni(I don't think it does). I don't care if Wellman speaks at pressers. I don't care what recruiting services who labeled Ty Walker a 5 star can't-miss center think of our recruits.

All I know is that when I was growing up in Atlanta before I was a Wake fan, some quiet old boring coach was winning ACC championships and putting Wake on the national scene year after year. Then we tried to take another step forward with a popular, fan-friendly, top tier coach who brought us to the brink of greatness before tragically dying.

[Redacted] sure reminds me of Odom who went 3-11 his first year. He gets 3 years to prove it. Looking at a single year when we knew we'd suck anyway even before losing our only point guard and starting center, and rushing to these set-in-stone judgments is ridiculous though.

I remember those days here also. However, a season where we not only lost most of our games but were typically blown out would have gotten my high school coach fired. Just because he was hired by Wake doesn't make him a good coach. He obviously gets next year but if he can't show significant improvement there is no excuse to keep him.

I remember those days here also. However, a season where we not only lost most of our games but were typically blown out would have gotten my high school coach fired. Just because he was hired by Wake doesn't make him a good coach. He obviously gets next year but if he can't show significant improvement there is no excuse to keep him.

I love these types of comments that reflect on our season as if [Redacted] was out there bricking 3 pointers.

It was his first year, and it was a known rebuilding year. He was dealt a team so short on talent that they couldn't beat Stetson early in the year when they were just running basic sets. Nobody would get fired in that situation.

I love these types of comments that reflect on our season as if [Redacted] was out there bricking 3 pointers.

It was his first year, and it was a known rebuilding year. He was dealt a team so short on talent that they couldn't beat Stetson early in the year when they were just running basic sets. Nobody would get fired in that situation.

[Redacted] does not deserve all of the blame for last season, but he was responsible enough to put himself on the hot seat after 1 year.

If you weren't at the Stetson game, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. I've watched Wake like it was my job for 35 years and I have never seen the depths to which we visited on a regular basis last season.

I can't

I just can't believe that we couldn't out talent Stetson even with a depleted roster. Who on Stetson even had BCS offers coming out of HS? What was their talest player?

We should have not been able to beat them with Talent based upon recruiting and resources.. We didn't. And if we really didn't have the talent to do it, that says a lot about where we are..

The guys were so over confident after blowing out whoever we beat in the scrimmage. Still can't believe we lost to bloody Stetson! WTF

[Redacted] was blatantly out coached in the Stetson game.

He was CLEARLY outcoached by Shaka Smart. It was tied at like 50 when they started to press with 10 minutes left in the game, I think we got the ball across halfcourt 3 times over the next literally 5 minutes. [Redacted] called I think, one timeout.

I wouldn't mind reexamining that play by play when I get the chance.

I'm sure I'm exaggerating a little though

We took the lead 53-49 with 14 minutes left. VCU took a timeout and began to press. Over the next 5 minutes and 10 seconds the following occurred:

4 turnovers in 5 possessions (a Ty Walker dunk, which I think occurred the one time we broke the press) with one Wake timeout)
A series of no points by either team (no chance to set the press up)
4 turnovers in 5 possessions (no timeouts used)

They continued to press the rest of the game, and we had 12 turnovers in the last 13 minutes of the game.

Wow

Last edited:
He was CLEARLY outcoached by Shaka Smart. It was tied at like 50 when they started to press with 10 minutes left in the game, I think we got the ball across halfcourt 3 times over the next literally 5 minutes. [Redacted] called I think, one timeout.

We took the lead 53-49 with 14 minutes left. VCU took a timeout and began to press. Over the next 5 minutes and 10 seconds the following occurred:

4 turnovers in 5 possessions (a Ty Walker dunk, which I think occurred the one time we broke the press) with one Wake timeout)

They continued to press the rest of the game, and we had 12 turnovers in the last 13 minutes of the game.

Wow

Two Wake TOs not one, but yeah that was ugly. I had to LOL at the write-up for that game, it perfectly summed up our season:

One ugly series centering around Wake Forest freshman J.T. Terrell seemed to illustrate those troubles.

First Terrell hit only backboard when he forced up a contested 3-point shot, only to see the Rams push the ball upcourt and get their own 3 from Brandon Rozzell. Terrell immediately threw the ball away in the backcourt against the press, and Rodriguez followed that by burying the go-ahead 3. Terrell threw it away once more in the backcourt on the ensuing inbounds pass, and Rodriguez followed with another jumper to make it 57-53 with 12 1/2 minutes left.

The stretch in the (home) game against Georgia Tech right after halftime was the most painful I saw this year.

Note: I was unable to watch the other GT game.

Here we are, 6 turnovers, 2 timeouts, 18 points allowed, and a blown 4-on-1 (thanks, Tony!) in 3:30. Awesome.

TURNOVR by Terrell,J.T. 19:29
19:28 STEAL by Shumpert,Iman
19:24 28-37 V 9 GOOD! LAYUP by Shumpert,Iman [FB/PNT]
FOUL by Desrosiers,Carson (P2T2) 19:24 28-38 V 10 GOOD! FT SHOT by Shumpert,Iman
TURNOVR by Harris,C.J. 19:18
19:17 STEAL by Shumpert,Iman
19:16 28-40 V 12 GOOD! DUNK by Morris,Jason [FB/PNT]
19:16 ASSIST by Shumpert,Iman
TIMEOUT 30sec 19:14
GOOD! FT SHOT by Harris,C.J. 19:06 29-40 V 11 FOUL by Storrs,Lance (P2T1)
GOOD! FT SHOT by Harris,C.J. 19:06 30-40 V 10
18:54 30-43 V 13 GOOD! 3 PTR by Miller,Maurice
18:54 ASSIST by Morris,Jason
TURNOVR by McKie,Travis 18:37
18:36 STEAL by Morris,Jason
18:34 30-45 V 15 GOOD! LAYUP by Miller,Maurice [FB/PNT]
18:34 ASSIST by Shumpert,Iman
TURNOVR by Chennault,Tony 18:21
18:20 STEAL by Shumpert,Iman
FOUL by Chennault,Tony (P2T3) 18:15 MISSED FT SHOT by Miller,Maurice
18:15 REBOUND (OFF) by (DEADBALL)
18:15 30-46 V 16 GOOD! FT SHOT by Miller,Maurice
FOUL by Chennault,Tony (P3T4) 18:04
TURNOVR by Chennault,Tony 18:04
REBOUND (DEF) by Harris,C.J. 17:58 MISSED JUMPER by Shumpert,Iman
MISSED 3 PTR by Harris,C.J. 17:49
REBOUND (OFF) by McKie,Travis 17:49
MISSED LAYUP by Chennault,Tony 17:39 REBOUND (DEF) by Shumpert,Iman
17:32 30-48 V 18 GOOD! JUMPER by Shumpert,Iman
TIMEOUT 30sec 17:28
MISSED FT SHOT by McKie,Travis 17:08 FOUL by Miller,Daniel (P3T2)
REBOUND (OFF) by (DEADBALL) 17:08
GOOD! FT SHOT by McKie,Travis 17:08 31-48 V 17
16:41 31-51 V 20 GOOD! 3 PTR by Storrs,Lance
16:41 ASSIST by Shumpert,Iman
16:36 FOUL by Rice,Glen (P2T3)
TURNOVR by McKie,Travis 16:23
16:22 STEAL by Storrs,Lance
16:19 31-53 V 22 GOOD! LAYUP by Shumpert,Iman [FB/PNT]
16:19 ASSIST by Storrs,Lance
15:59 FOUL by Hicks,Nate (P1T4)

Last edited:

Wow

That was a terrible half.

[Redacted] just didn't have them prepared for the press at all. Did he not scout VCU? He should have known they are prone to press.

Yeah two timeouts...sorry was looking past that JTT turnover for some reason when I scrolled back up. But yeah terrible.

You are going to take this as me throwing the players under the bus, but it is honestly what I witnessed...Coach [Redacted] was explaining the things he wanted them to do very clearly. I have very little basketball playing experience and I felt like I could do the things that he was asking them to.

These weren't complex things, they were like sprint as hard as you can on full-court runs...box a guy out...tie your shoes...screen a guy here. If the players can't understand things like that then what is the coach supposed to do?

Go into another line of work...

Last edited:
Do you think that Jeff [Redacted] is happy with the way that this year went? Do you think that anybody cares more than he does about this? He is getting crucified left and right (some of it deservingly, some of it not). If he didn't desperately want to get better then there is something wrong with him.

It is not meaningless bullshit either...he knows that this year is completely unacceptable, but he sees the long run better than anybody else can see it. If he fails in 3-4 years then we will fire him and hire somebody else.

You mean WHEN he fails. Every year with [Redacted] is a wasted year.

Wellman in June - "Many well known and accomplished coaches were very interested in becoming our head coach." Yet he chose Buzz? Is it a "culture" problem (the AD is a liar) or is it incompetence?

Didn't read the thread, but the "culture" comments are laughable. Bzz claims we improved dramatically in an intangible category that just so happens to be insubstantial and unmeasurable. I guess when you can't point to any other team facet that improved over the course of the season -- something objectively measurable, or even discernible from watching the team actually play basketball -- you have to invent a nebulous metric and claim that you aced it. Nice.

Just coach, coach. Quit taking backhanded shots at the former regime. You didn't inherit SMU here, so stop acting like you did. It's disrespectful to Skip and Dino, who ran clean, respectable, honest programs. It just makes you look petty and small.

+1

Back