• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's say Lobo takes a HC gig...

A level of success that has also stalled, if not wholly shifted to reverse.

Right, because just 30 hours ago we were 15 minutes away from having a home game against the worst team in the conference to make our 2nd ACCCG in 5 years. I can't believe how far we have fallen.

Do you people actually believe this BS that you are spewing over the internet? We talk about people over at IC that have their heads so far up their ass that they can't even see the sun, and yet over here it's the same thing.

Unbelievable.

If we beat Maryland we will be 5-3 in the ACC.

Years Wake has finished over .500 in the ACC since 1970

2006, 2007, 1988, 1987, 1979, 1970.

Kind of puts things in perspective. I think a lot of the Lobo hate is over the top and without justification. He seems to be the fall guy for just about everything that goes wrong and is the guy people obsess over.

No because we have had a little sustained success in football, it has immediately become a baseline and we should be a yearly upper tier team in the ACC.

We have some wacky fans.

Right, because just 30 hours ago we were 15 minutes away from having a home game against the worst team in the conference to make our 2nd ACCCG in 5 years. I can't believe how far we have fallen.

Do you people actually believe this BS that you are spewing over the internet? We talk about people over at IC that have their heads so far up their ass that they can't even see the sun, and yet over here it's the same thing.

Unbelievable.

Have we progressed since 2006?

Kind of puts things in perspective. I think a lot of the Lobo hate is over the top and without justification. He seems to be the fall guy for just about everything that goes wrong and is the guy people obsess over.

Precisely. He has his good days and bad days, but he never gets credit for what he does that is good.

Example: Last week against ND, the first TD (PA left, throw back to BP for the TD), was a "wrinkle" in the offense just as the option pitch was, but nobody gave him credit for that at all. That was merely Tanner making a great throw to a wide-open BP.

The only way to progress from 2006 would be to make a national title game. Coach Grobe would be the first to tell you that he is not happy about last year and the years before that, but every single team has down years, including us.

The fact that we will likely be 3-4 games better than last year says a ton about where our program is headed.

We won one of the 2 ACC championships that a NC team won since 1980 that year.

Do you think that is a realistic expectation for Wake football to regularly achieve.

If Grobe wins another ACC title at Wake, just name the freakin' stadium after him and be done with it.

A similar level of success with new players?

That sounds like standing pat rather than progressing.

And I realize "progressing" beyond 11-3 is absurd, my point was that we have basically regressed every year since 2006.

We are still making the same mistakes and ending up in the same situations with the same coaches....a change might be good...that's all I'm saying.

We won 1 ACC game last year and have already won 4 this year.

When we won with Riley, it was winning because we got lucky at QB and with NFL talent on D. We are proving this year that we have a system that can win, not just get lucky.

My hope for Grobe's tenure is to set up the program to be ready for the next coach to break through the next glass ceiling.

I want Phonzo to come back and coach some day

Because Grobe probably makes more decisions in crunch time that you disagree with than you will admit.

Not sure what you mean. I think Grobe has done a fantastic job building a viable program. No one can ever take that away from him. Winning an ACC Championship was fantastic. My only real complaint with Grobe is the "Boy's Club" mentality he seems to have when it comes to his staff.

He has not terminated one assistant in 11 years at Wake and probably in the six at Ohio either. How is that possible?

I thought the analogy about Lobo being the commander who draws up great battle plans, but then freezes when the bullets start flying was perfect. We continue to run plays that fail regardless of how badly they fail. If the fourth and one run from the gun against Purdue in '03 wasn't enough to tell you to find something else to run in that situation, then you aren't thinking straight under pressure.

Yet, we continue to run from the gun on third and short. I wasn't the only one who posted in the game thread that here comes the third and short run from the gun, and sure enough that's what we got.

I don't see how a head coach can tolerate or be involved in playcalling like that.

Not sure what you mean. I think Grobe has done a fantastic job building a viable program. No one can ever take that away from him. Winning an ACC Championship was fantastic. My only real complaint with Grobe is the "Boy's Club" mentality he seems to have when it comes to his staff.

He has not terminated one assistant in 11 years at Wake and probably in the six at Ohio either. How is that possible?

I thought the analogy about Lobo being the commander who draws up great battle plans, but then freezes when the bullets start flying was perfect. We continue to run plays that fail regardless of how badly they fail. If the fourth and one run from the gun against Purdue in '03 wasn't enough to tell you to find something else to run in that situation, then you aren't thinking straight under pressure.

Yet, we continue to run from the gun on third and short. I wasn't the only one who posted in the game thread that here comes the third and short run from the gun, and sure enough that's what we got.

I don't see how a head coach can tolerate or be involved in playcalling like that.

So your problem lies with Coach Grobe and not Coach Lobotzke. I believe he said in an interview last week something along the lines of "not sure why the fans always get up in arms over Coach Lobtzke's play calls when I am the one overseeing them."

From a basic level I'm sure a lot of it is Grobe ("let's run it inside"), but once you get into the details (ie: running out of the shotgun), do you really think Grobe is getting involved?

And do you think it's possible Grobe is just being a good guy and trying to deflect some of the criticism?

I don't think Grobe, a defensive coach, is running our offense.

If we beat Maryland we will be 5-3 in the ACC.

Years Wake has finished over .500 in the ACC since 1970

2006, 2007, 1988, 1987, 1979, 1970.

No because we have had a little sustained success in football, it has immediately become a baseline and we should be a yearly upper tier team in the ACC.

We have some wacky fans.

So if 2 good seasons in the 70s is "little sustained success" and 2 good seasons in the 80s is "little sustained success", do you think 2 good seasons in the 00s is also "little sustained success"?

deacfan27, you seem to think Lobo is a good OC. Which current OCs do you think Lobo is better than?

I await your response.

From a basic level I'm sure a lot of it is Grobe ("let's run it inside"), but once you get into the details (ie: running out of the shotgun), do you really think Grobe is getting involved?

And do you think it's possible Grobe is just being a good guy and trying to deflect some of the criticism?

I don't think Grobe, a defensive coach, is running our offense.

I also find it hard to believe that Grobe would just allow us to run out of the shotgun on third and short if he didn't agree with the decision.

I also find it hard to believe that Grobe would just allow us to run out of the shotgun on third and short if he didn't agree with the decision.

Can't really know what he thinks about it, if at all. I am just saying Grobe isn't calling up specific plays and what not.

Jim Caldwell FTMFW!!!!!!!

Sorry, just wondering how I get back that hour I spent today watching the Jax-Indy game.

Seriously though, I'll cast another vote for Logan.

To me it's not about the level of success as much as it is with getting the best out of our players. I thought we played well on Saturday. My only real issues with Lobo on Saturday were a few of the 3rd and 1 shotgun delayed handoffs. That's mostly because I've been seeing those since Purdue and it makes me fucking batty.

Our defense needed to step up on three drives at the end of the game and they didn't. Our kickers need to make kicks that are makable.

Back