• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Letterman retiring sometime next year

Who's the replacement? Conan makes the most sense to me. Following Dave and Dave's audience would be a much smoother transition than following Leno and his audience. Plus Dave is a big fan.

Don't see Kimmel moving after ABC gave him 11:35 and bumped Nightline.
Fallon is obviously set.
Ferguson wouldn't go over well for a more mainstream audience IMO.
Seth Meyers is too green.

Stewart?

Stewart/Colbert would each kill it but both have been too political in their own ways over the years.

Grew up loving Letterman, but now I find it hard just to watch. He is unbelievably un-funny.

Who's the replacement? Conan makes the most sense to me. Following Dave and Dave's audience would be a much smoother transition than following Leno and his audience. Plus Dave is a big fan.

Fallon is obviously set.

Stewart?

I love Conan. His Mary Kay skit earlier this week was awesome.

Grew up loving Letterman, but now I find it hard just to watch. He is unbelievably un-funny.

Still a good interviewer when engaged. Too ornery and political now. Lacks good skits too.

Stewart/Colbert would each kill it but both have been too political in their own ways over the years.

Gotta think if they're not making $CBS right now, they're getting close. Both CBS and Comedy Central are owned by Viacom.

I'm sure Stewart is pretty comfortable in his role, but might be willing if offered.

Cobert couldn't get away with what he currently does on CBS.

Fallon is obviously set.

Stewart?

Rupert.

How are the ratings now that Fallon has been in place?

Would love to see Ferguson get his due, but don't see that happening.

Kimmel is a big Letterman fan. I would think he would take it if offered.

Makes sense for Jimmy to move.

CBS should look into Chris Hardwick. I know he's polarizing, but he'd go right up against Fallon in terms of young viewers.

Not worth it’s own thread but did any of you see Jane Fonda on Letterman in the early 90’s before the internet was huge, and youtube was off in the future? It was the night she was so whacked out on cocaine that she could not hold her train of thought. She brought a large stuffed animal on set with her (lion I think) and just kept rambling and petting it meanwhile licking gums and twitching almost to the point I thought it was a gag. Letterman just sat there is amazement and let her ramble, and then in the middle of a sentence she stood up and walked off set, the camera pans to Letterman and he gives that blank deadpan stare that was funny in it’s day. He was so mad that he ran it as a re-run whenever he did not have a guest for the next month. Fonda’s legal team wrote a threat, and then poof it is now gone from all history.

I find it odd she has been back on her show since then. He used her as a punch line for a year or two even though he could no longer show the episode. If anyone could find it in the youtube vault or something similar I would be very grateful.

Back