• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liberty @ WF - Saturday 9/17 5 pm - ACCN

Just rewatched the game. If we don’t try to force defenses to play back a little bit with more underneath passes…we really only have two plays they needs to defend - the run and the deep ball (granted we did try some quick sideline throws but didn’t block well on the edge from what I saw).

Liberty’s corners and DL played their asses off and shut down most of our offense from just those two groups. We need more creativity in the middle of the field and we have the personnel to do it. Hope we are prepared for Clemson because this is exactly what they’re going to do to try and beat us as well.
And the ol’ “They can’t call DPI on EVERY play defense”

I'd like to think that Wake has limited the playbook these first three games for multiple reasons. Nothing on film for Clemson to see. Griffis at QB for an unknown number of games to start the season. Sam working his way back from the extended time off.

Here's to having some wrinkles for Clemson.

O line should be ashamed for that performance. Very frustrating game, though I have to give credit to Liberty on their last 2 TDs making something out of nothing. That last one was just pure luck.

I'd like to think that Wake has limited the playbook these first three games for multiple reasons. Nothing on film for Clemson to see. Griffis at QB for an unknown number of games to start the season. Sam working his way back from the extended time off.

Better find more than wrinkles. If Clemson plays the same gameplan as Liberty with their defense.... it will be over by half.

Two more quick thoughts:

1) Mustapha deserves the game ball. He was everywhere on defense and played his best game yet, IMHO.

2) Let’s get some of Liberty’s OL through the portal next year. Those guys were very good and dominated our DL at times.

I feel like we say this stuff every year but it doesn’t come to fruition. Same with holding out for a trick play. Need I remind you we had an NFL receiver (and starting QB!) on our roster who used to play QB for us and we never once had him attempt a pass.

Two more quick thoughts:

1) Mustapha deserves the game ball. He was everywhere on defense and played his best game yet, IMHO.

2) Let’s get some of Liberty’s OL through the portal next year. Those guys were very good and dominated our DL at times.
Feel like #2 applies more to DL. I thought our front 6/7 did a good job getting pressure and penetration almost all night. Poor tackling seemed to lead to most of their big runs. But we made their DL/LBs look like Georgia. Worst OL performance since year 1 or 2 under Clawson.

It’s also concerning that Clawson admitted to just giving up on the run based on what Liberty was doing defensively, and didn’t seem all that bothered by it. He’s previously said how important it is to be able to run the ball when the defense knows you want to run it (see final State TD drive last year), and his comments last night were very contradictory to that message.

Going forward, I don’t have a lot of faith in the slow mesh unless there is a legitimate threat of the quarterback running/rolling outside. It’s got to happen more frequently or else the entire defense just has a bullseye to attack.

The play calling against Vandy was much more creative, including the tight end screen for a touchdown. If they’re attacking the middle, why aren’t we running plays like that?

Feel like #2 applies more to DL. I thought our front 6/7 did a good job getting pressure and penetration almost all night. Poor tackling seemed to lead to most of their big runs. But we made their DL/LBs look like Georgia. Worst OL performance since year 1 or 2 under Clawson.

It’s also concerning that Clawson admitted to just giving up on the run based on what Liberty was doing defensively, and didn’t seem all that bothered by it. He’s previously said how important it is to be able to run the ball when the defense knows you want to run it (see final State TD drive last year), and his comments last night were very contradictory to that message.
Almost edited my post to say let’s get some of their DL for that matter as well. IMHO, Liberty pretty much dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Still trying to figure out if the differences in line play was because Liberty has better players or because they had more intensity. Were Wake guys guilty of thinking the game would be easy because of the betting line and P5 v. G5 situation? We're Wake guys looking ahead to next week?

Still trying to figure out if the differences in line play was because Liberty has better players or because they had more intensity. Were Wake guys guilty of thinking the game would be easy because of the betting line and P5 v. G5 situation? We're Wake guys looking ahead to next week?
Don’t think so. Liberty was big up front and fast everywhere else, was better prepared and out executed us. Our coaches didn’t make any adjustments on offense. As has been pointed out we relied on Hail Mary type passes and we’re pretty much one dimensional. We lost the line of scrimmage on both sides and our special teams were not as good as Liberty. I am amazed we squeaked out a win.

It wasn’t that we overlooked Liberty they were just better in various facets. They dominated the stat board most of the game as well. If anyone thinks we were the better coached team yesterday you’re wearing blinders. Even nfl teams make adjustments to get a struggling qb in a rhythm. Our offense looked like sandlot football with no game plan.

Two more quick thoughts:

This is a good call. Freeze will be gone due to his texting female assault victims at Liberty U.

Again, without looking at stats, liberty were something like 1/10 on third downs.

They got lucky as hell on a handful of fourth down plays.

Several things need to happen on offense right away. More underneath passes, and some runs, sweeps, roll outs off the edge to keep the ends from crashing every fucking play. The mesh will not work otherwise. And maybe not hold for no reason when we actually get around the edge.

Yikes on your second point.

Back