• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liberty @ WF - Saturday 9/17 5 pm - ACCN

Several things need to happen on offense right away. More underneath passes, and some runs, sweeps, roll outs off the edge to keep the ends from crashing every fucking play. The mesh will not work otherwise. And maybe not hold for no reason when we actually get around the edge.
Agreed. We are going to have to show far more creativity on offense to have a chance in the next two games. It's almost as if this staff feels that any trickery is beneath us. The complete lack of imagination with Kendall Hinton I will never understand. Never.

Better have something cooked up this week because hail Mary passes against Clemson as our only offense will be a total disaster.

This along with the fact that we've learned Hartman is the worst QB to ever play at Wake. :)

Again, without looking at stats, liberty were something like 1/10 on third downs.

They got lucky as hell on a handful of fourth down plays.
Yeah. The final fourth down play should have been an incomplete. Wake DB had it played perfectly. Just that the second Liberty receiver got underneath as the ball was being knocked down. Lucky for them he was there for the catch. Otherwise it's a TD win for Wake.

Feel like all these criticisms are valid and cause for concern, but also feels like if Hartman plays normal we win by 3 tds. I dunno, it was very stressful. It also seemed like Hartman had the time he needed for the most part, while we were getting pretty steady pressure in their backfield, but I’m not disagreeing with the overall OL/DL comments, either. Weird one. Glad we won. Think it’s also weird we dropped two spots in the AP because of it, but jumped two in the coaches? Weirdos.

Last edited:
Feel like all these criticisms are valid and cause for concern, but also feels like if Hartman plays normal we win by 3 tds. I dunno, it was very stressful. It also seemed like Hartman had the time he needed for the most part, while we were getting pretty steady pressure in their backfield, but I’m not disagreeing with the overall OL/DL comments, either. Weird one. Glad we won. Think it’s also weird we dropped two spots in the AP because of it, but jumped two in the coaches? Weirdos.
Pass blocking was fine, run blocking was bad. Clawson seemed to indicate that the inability to open up holes in the running game was something scheme related that Liberty did.

Definitely don't think their OL dominated the DL

I really wish we had found a way to keep CBS on the team this year.
No Claiborne and possibly a trfr from Ellison or Cooley. He said he was done, then changed his mind. Very unfortunate but CFB is about roster, not just 1 guy, however good he was in the program. Loved me some CBS and he rocks Columbia once healthy.

It’s the Wake way. Make your best running back third string. This goes all the way back to Grobe with Kevin Harris and Josh Harris and recently with Kenneth Walker, although not 3rd string, not a starter either.
Yep, that is Clawson’s intent, to not play his best players! Lmao, it’s best players, not just runners as the position entails more.

Going forward, I don’t have a lot of faith in the slow mesh unless there is a legitimate threat of the quarterback running/rolling outside. It’s got to happen more frequently or else the entire defense just has a bullseye to attack.

The play calling against Vandy was much more creative, including the tight end screen for a touchdown. If they’re attacking the middle, why aren’t we running plays like that?
You mean like Sam’s 11 rushing TDs last year?

I think this is the correct take. Better to win these games than lose them.

I do think we had success with designed QB runs when the the holes aren’t there for the RBs. I expect to see them more next week.

Coaches do know more than reporters.

The reporters presumably watch the games and the coaches don’t.
How many AP Voters do you honestly believe watched Wake vs Liberty? Or even the condensed game?

They all have their own teams to cover, they aren’t watching full games of very many other teams.

Thus the word “presumably.”

Thus the word “presumably.”
Which insinuates that you believe that the majority of them do watch, and I was asking you to put a number on how many you actually believe would have watched.

Which insinuates that you believe that the majority of them do watch, and I was asking you to put a number on how many you actually believe would have watched.
Reporters are more likely to be able to switch TVs between multiple games and watch games at different time slots, as opposed to coaches who are laser focused on their own game all day.

I do think a good number of ACC reporters were tuning in to our game. Maybe not national focused people.

Reporters are more likely to be able to switch TVs between multiple games and watch games at different time slots, as opposed to coaches who are laser focused on their own game all day.

I do think a good number of ACC reporters were tuning in to our game. Maybe not national focused people.
Yeah for sure, I’m not arguing in favor of the coaches poll by any means.

I’m just talking about the feasibility of any single reporter meticulously keeping up with what’s going in all the games that involve the top 30ish teams. They watch highlights and look at box scores for a lot of those teams, particularly in the bottom half of the rankings.

I must really have never paid enough attention to this but does Perry and Greene always rotate possession’s? They were never in the game together last night

I presume coaches can’t watch many games because they’re prepping or coaching for their job.

I assume more reporters are watching games and following them live because that’s their job.

We couldn’t block their DL?
I didn't get to watch the game and was amazed at our terrible running stats. It was a simplistic question - why couldn't we run? I guess I meant - was their DL and overall defense just better? Or did our OL play poorly? Or did our RBs play poorly? Or was it a problem with playcalling? Or what?

I didn't get to watch the game and was amazed at our terrible running stats. It was a simplistic question - why couldn't we run? I guess I meant - was their DL and overall defense just better? Or did our OL play poorly? Or did our RBs play poorly? Or was it a problem with playcalling? Or what?

FWIW, I attended the game. I'll take a shot at an answer. I didn't come away believing it was playcalling or lack of effort by our RBs. Sure, I'm certain someone could point out 1-2 plays where our RBs missed a gap. But, overall, our OL was just not getting any penetration whatsoever against their DL. Our RBs were getting hit almost every play at the LOS. What they got after that, was pretty much up to them. We did have a nice series for the tying TD in which we created a few holes. Bigger picture, I don't know if it's scheming, our OL's strength (lack thereof), technique or the fact that Liberty's DL is just that good. I do know they were hell bent not to let us run and they did a great job with it.

Since this made us one-dimensional, it certainly put the screws to our passing game and that was not great either last night. Freeze is a damn good coach. Clawson said as much.

To be fair, the pooch kicks seemed to work. But yeah. How can liberty have a guy boom it to the seats every time and we can't even get it in the end zone?
I think I've asked this before, but someone, somewhere, must have the stats on it. On a kick-off if the kick is a touchback, or the receiver calls fair catch, the ball goes to the 25. What percentage of kick returns reach or surpass the 25?

Back