• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liberty @ WF - Saturday 9/17 5 pm - ACCN

When they crash the ends or blitz the edge, that should leave an open space. We failed at executing plays to exploit that. So they kept doing it and killed the RPO.

Exactly. I get it they did some good stuff on D. But I'm not sure what that says about us that we couldn't really answer that even against Liberty. Man I'm hoping it was just an off day. Because Clemson will pound us if we play like that next week.

Yes. I mean like when our quarterback was a running threat. You aren’t the smartest guy are you?
I have a feeling the coaches have had Sam under orders not to run much these first two games he's played. That should change for Clemson.

You may dislike the personal ethics and behavior of Hugh Freeze. You may dislike how Hugh Freeze runs his football program. Hugh Freeze does know how to game plan for an opponent. He knows how to ensure his players follow that game plan. He knows how to make adjustments during a game in a manner his team will understand and execute. He is an outstanding game day coach and we saw evidence of his ability Saturday evening.

Good football teams can play poorly in a game and still win.

We all have high expectations. Could you guys imagine growing up as Wake fans, experiencing the 1-10 years, that we would ever be upset after a loss? We've come a long way.

Grobe elevated our program to the next level, and Clawson has shown us that success can be sustainable for our Deacs.
Unless you were a freshman in 1979. My first memory of Wake football is winning at UGA and going to the Tangerine Bowl.

Of course at freshman orientation the Dean said 'football is just what we do until basketball season'.

Yes, there has still been a lot of bad football (Caldwell).

Several points to consider for this team.
  • In almost any year without Clawson this is a game we lose
  • Notre Dame lost to Marshall (at home of course), Marshall lost to Bowling Green this week. Perspective people.

We need to put Keyshawn Williams at running back and use him how we used Kenny Moore.

You may dislike the personal ethics and behavior of Hugh Freeze. You may dislike how Hugh Freeze runs his football program. Hugh Freeze does know how to game plan for an opponent. He knows how to ensure his players follow that game plan. He knows how to make adjustments during a game in a manner his team will understand and execute. He is an outstanding game day coach and we saw evidence of his ability Saturday evening.

Good football teams can play poorly in a game and still win.

He will get a much bigger job soon once he has completed his exile period. The guy can flat-out coach.

We also had like half the all-conference sprints team with Willie Idlette and Kevin Marion and Kerry Major

That is how you do it. The trucker hat special just seals it.

Nice. Kudos to UMass for this. Make those ass holes as uncomfortable as possible.

That game really scared me Sat nite. I don't mind giving a tough Sunbelt team a nice payday, but why give these assholes a nice payday.

Nice. Kudos to UMass for this. Make those ass holes as uncomfortable as possible.
The same UMass who had Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan speak at their campus? Try being a LGBT in a fundamentalist Muslim group vs one at Liberty and see who gets treated better.

I just don't get all the Liberty hate when no one says anything about Notre Dame or BYU, both who are backed by church groups that have similar ideological leanings.

Are we so thin skinned that we can't live or tolerate a world with people with differing views? I have no connection to Liberty but it's kind of embarrassing to see some on here frothing at the mouth in super snowflake mode because we dare play a team in which you might disagree with the founder.

The same UMass who had Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan speak at their campus? Try being a LGBT in a fundamentalist Muslim group vs one at Liberty and see who gets treated better.

I just don't get all the Liberty hate when no one says anything about Notre Dame or BYU, both who are backed by church groups that have similar ideological leanings.

Are we so thin skinned that we can't live or tolerate a world with people with differing views? I have no connection to Liberty but it's kind of embarrassing to see some on here frothing at the mouth in super snowflake mode because we dare play a team in which you might disagree with the founder.
Try to find an example of BYU or Notre Dame getting so directly involved in politics as this:

It’s because as everyone knows we are “Woke Forest” However, anyone that use snowflake in a non sarcastic way should not be taken serious and their opinion dismissed immediately.

I don't want to speak for others, but I don't think people care about religious private universities. When accusations of rape being swept under the rug and accusers being punished for speaking out, that is when people start to have issues. When the leaders seem to be hypocritical Falwell/Benny Hinn/Kenneth Copeland types that are in it to get rich, that doesn't help either.

The Catholic Church, Morman Church or even Baptist Church are always going to have people that disagree with them or have people in their organization that do bad things. It's the nature of large organizations. I think the difference with Liberty is that you can look directly to the leadership and see where the issues are.

I'm still just baffled at Clawson's comments admitting that we abandoned the run against Liberty in a game we were (mostly) winning. And him seemingly being OK with it because of the scheme that Liberty was playing. If the scheme was that aggressive, we should have had guys running wide open on every pass play. Sure Sam missed a lot of throws, but I did not see that being close to the case. We will undoubtedly need to run the ball to close out games against similar/better talent and scheme later in the year.

Do we have running plays designed to go outside the tackles? Do we ever pull OL to let them get out in space and build some momentum to road grade? The total lack of jet sweeps/pop passes against a defense that is obviously crashing the mesh point has confused me for years. We used to sprinkle in some speed option occasionally, which could prove effective, if Sam is fully healthy. I know we have more designed runs than we used to vs. just the slow mesh RPO, but it certainly doesn't look like we have much ingenuity in the run game compared to most quality offensive teams.

Back