• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liberty @ WF - Saturday 9/17 5 pm - ACCN

which of these conservative universities are even booking illiberal progressives? has Liberty invited the likes of Biden, Sanders, Buttigieg, etc? last I saw Wake was having George W Bush as a speaker.
Absolutely not. I can't remember her name but my commencement speaker was so blonde Fox news anchor. They get the likes of Kirk Cameron and Chuck Norris there.

Absolutely not. I can't remember her name but my commencement speaker was so blonde Fox news anchor. They get the likes of Kirk Cameron and Chuck Norris there.
Sheep and snowflake bullshit needs to go. It’s a sign of ignorance.

Watched Clawson's press conference and the condensed game.

Did not realize:

Liberty, last 5 ACC games -

2 wins
2 losses by 1 point
A 3 point loss

So, they compete, no doubt.

Also, key play of the entire game, for me, up 10-0 and we barely miss hitting the deep ball to AT Perry. He was running free and that makes it 17-0.

Instead, just a split second too late, gets tipped...intercepted...

Did not realize:

2 wins
2 losses by 1 point
A 3 point loss

Also, key play of the entire game, for me, up 10-0 and we barely miss hitting the deep ball to AT Perry. He was running free and that makes it 17-0.

Absolutely. That play had homerun written all over it. Really unfortunate that one was tipped.

Before I leave this thread please allow me to publicly apologize to ironwill 24 and Turtle Power 98 for offending them by trashing Liberty U. On this board I did not expect to find defenders of Jerry Falwell and his particular brand of Christianity, which seemed designed primarily to enrich Jerry Falwell. Again, my apologies.

You'd be surprised how much loyalty self-enriching people can engender from others by hating the right people.

Did not realize:

2 wins
2 losses by 1 point
A 3 point loss

Despite what you think of Liberty, they have great facilities and a great football coach. There was plenty to be concerned about with the play of our team Saturday, but I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised that the game was a nail biter. While I don't like our chances against Clemson regardless, I tend to feel like having this type of game might be better for us then if we'd have won by 3 touchdowns and went into the Clemson game without a tough game. The biggest concern coming out of Saturday night was the injuries.

Despite what you think of Liberty, they have great facilities and a great football coach. There was plenty to be concerned about with the play of our team Saturday, but I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised that the game was a nail biter. While I don't like our chances against Clemson regardless, I tend to feel like having this type of game might be better for us then if we'd have won by 3 touchdowns and went into the Clemson game without a tough game. The biggest concern coming out of Saturday night was the injuries.
I think this is right. Despite what most on the boards think about Liberty as an institution they have money, facilities, a coach who can coach football, a big fan base and plenty of good athletes that want to play there. I think there were specific breakdowns on defense that need to be fixed but hard to complain too much when you look at how little support the offense gave them most of the game.

I am also hopeful it will focus us for Clemson. I was nervous last year and still am this year how efficient and productive our offense has to be to win any game left on our schedule.

I'm still just baffled at Clawson's comments admitting that we abandoned the run against Liberty in a game we were (mostly) winning. And him seemingly being OK with it because of the scheme that Liberty was playing. If the scheme was that aggressive, we should have had guys running wide open on every pass play. Sure Sam missed a lot of throws, but I did not see that being close to the case. We will undoubtedly need to run the ball to close out games against similar/better talent and scheme later in the year.

Do we have running plays designed to go outside the tackles? Do we ever pull OL to let them get out in space and build some momentum to road grade? The total lack of jet sweeps/pop passes against a defense that is obviously crashing the mesh point has confused me for years. We used to sprinkle in some speed option occasionally, which could prove effective, if Sam is fully healthy. I know we have more designed runs than we used to vs. just the slow mesh RPO, but it certainly doesn't look like we have much ingenuity in the run game compared to most quality offensive teams.
FWIW, it seems like we come into a game with a plan and generally make adjustments when something isn't working well. The concerning part about the latter in regard to this weekend is that Liberty was doing the one thing that has proven to disrupt every facet of our offense, and that's attacking the mesh point. I don't think we know how to fix it quite yet. To your point, swing passes and some speed option would keep a defense a bit more honest and then it's more of a game of chess. Right now, we're showing opposing defenses how to stop us and we're running the same O just to continue running the same O...feels very 2009-2010 of Grobe when we would just run the ball every damn play to prove the point that we can run the ball (even when it resulted in a loss). Throwing the deep ball is great and we have a ton of threats and experience there, but damn...Liberty had safeties way, way back to prevent us from doing that and we still were launching the deep ball. I don't get it either. Got to mix it up and Clawson and Warren will get it fixed.

The other reality is if Sam hits his normal reads and makes good throws...we win that game walking away despite the fact that we couldn't run the ball well. I'm confident that we will get it worked out, but Clemson's DL and LB groups must be foaming at the mouth watching tape of our game against Liberty. Hope we are ready and have a counterpunch.

They definitely blew up the mesh which discombobulated our offense. Maybe try sprinting Sam outside every once in a while would keep defense from crashing the edge every play. Or rather than mesh with the back let him go straight to the flats without a fake. There won’t be anybody over there if they are crashing in.

I get a little concerned about some patterns with this offense in games they don't play well.

A lack of quick passes to find a rhythm.
Sam not taking the check down.
Following a sack where Sam held on too long all the receivers are 25-35+ yards downfield with nobody underneath. Did someone run the wrong route? Is anyone working back to the ball?
A slant for 5-7 yards is ok. Not every swing has to be a homerun.

I get a little concerned about some patterns with this offense in games they don't play well.

Following a sack where Sam held on too long all the receivers are 25-35+ yards downfield with nobody underneath. Did someone run the wrong route? Is anyone working back to the ball?
I just got through reading Lou Gehrig's memoirs and he said the best piece of baseball advice Babe Ruth ever gave him was not to swing for the fences all the time. A well placed and timed single can be just as important as a home run. Ruth said he swung for the fences most of time because that's what everyone expected of him, but Gehrig would be a much better ball player if he didn't because he would hit plenty of home runs anyway. I know that has nothing to do with football, but it was pretty cool reading about the advice he got from Ruth and other ballplayers. He also credited Ty Cobb as being very helpful to him with advice, he said Cobb wasn't the asshole people made him out to be.

Last edited:

This is my concern. There were a few times we missed seeing a check down but many times there wasn’t one. Yes Sam struggled some but there were some pretty obvious things we just weren’t trying to do that should be a normal part of our system.

I just got through reading Lou Lou Gehrig's memoirs and he said the best piece of baseball advice Babe Ruth ever gave him was not to swing for the fences all the time. A well placed and timed single can be just as important as a home run. Ruth said he swung for the fences most of time because that's what everyone expected of him, but Gehrig would be a much better ball player if he didn't because he would hit plenty of home runs anyway. I know that has nothing to do with football, but it was pretty cool reading about the advice he got from Ruth and other ballplayers. He also credited Ty Cobb as being very helpful to him with advice, he said Cobb wasn't the asshole people made him out to be.
The analogy still works. We have seen that Key and Donnie have the ability to turn a 7 yarder into a house call.

Good post and I agree. There were multiple occasions where we had some underneath passes that were just missed. Would love to see us roll Sam out a bit more...he can run and he's also pretty good passing moving side to side. I'm very confident we will figure this out...just hope we tighten things up before Clemson.

I’ll belabor the point just one more post but not only will it help keep the defense honest but even as good and experienced as Sam is we could really use some plays that get him in a rhythm as well. He was out of synch and I don’t remember seeing any attempt to give him some easy completions underneath to change it up. And really difficult outs across the whole field are not easy rhythm building throws.

I’ll belabor the point just one more post but not only will it help keep the defense honest but even as good and experienced as Sam is we could really use some plays that get him in a rhythm as well. He was out of synch and I don’t remember seeing any attempt to give him some easy completions underneath to change it up. And really difficult outs across the whole field are not easy rhythm building throws.
Yeah. It was the exact same thing vs Pitt. Maybe there is a reason for it. Maybe the defense is doing something that takes those things away. I'm not going to go break down film or anything to find out. Hopefully, it is fixed by Saturday at noon.

One main difference between Pitt and Liberty was how far back the safeties were (Liberty's were considerably farther back in centerfield). Other than that, both teams simply crashed the edge and attacked the mesh point. I remember Warren stating that they kept getting 1:1s outside against Pitt so they kept going that way. He knows more about football than anyone else on these boards and probably everyone put together, but...why continue to throw bombs and not mix in some underneath passes to keep the ball moving and to other people's point, to help Sam get into a good rhythm? Key, Morin and Whiteheart were wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open multiple times against Liberty across the middle and we only threw that way twice and those were also some of the last reads? I don't get it.

Our offense is still very good. Just have to fix a handful of things and take what the defense gives us more often. Plus, I'm fairly confident that if Key or Greene catch the ball in stride, they're going to pick up a good chunk of yardage similar to a deep pass.

Up until Wake, I went to Catholic schools. I went to a Jesuit high school. Open questioning and debate was encouraged because it pushes everyone's thinking. Growing up in the northeast, a good chunk of my classmates were Jewish. We had openly gay students. While the Catholic church has its line on things, they were never dehumanized.
Looking at the examples of Notre Dame and BYU, even at those schools they have student LGBTQ+ groups. BYU's isn't officially sanctioned by the university, but it is still given the space and support to operate. While I fundamentally disagree with both the positions of the Mormon and Catholic churches, they are not forcing groups of students into the shadows. While I'm sure BYU wouldn't be supportive of some massive pride event, they are still making a minimal effort.
And for being tolerant of others with differing views, neither BYU nor ND have banned any and all left-leaning student groups from their campus, whereas Liberty has. Conservatism is not fundamental to Christianity, but for a group of people that bemoan the idea of "safe spaces" and "snowflakes" Liberty has taken some pretty extreme steps to create an uber-conservative safe space.

Then there is the systemic cover up of an out of control rape culture. Cinciflame was literally on here last week with rape apologetics to the tune of "sometimes things happen and women get confused by their emotions" which is disgusting and abhorrent.

For these reasons, fuck Liberty.
Just want to set the record straight. I stated every sexual assault allegation should be fully investigated. I foolishly tried to explain a little about the culture at Liberty. The situation I spoke of was actually a personal one and it wasn’t that women get confused by their emotions, but lots of unhealthy guilt occurs. You can slant that however you want, but it’s absolutely true. You go out on a Sat night, do some things you think is “sin” and the next morning you’re sitting in church. It’s not just a female thing, but a guy thing as well. I think my mistake is trying to have a reasonable conversation with SOME unreasonable people.

As far as the campus and who has been invited to speak. Bernie Sanders spoke, Jimmy Carter, Alan dershowitz and numerous other left leaning, progressives have been invited, including Hillary Clinton. All have been received with grace and respect.

We did indeed shut down a democratic student group b/c the group was started from outside of campus and only used a handful of Liberty students to start strife on campus. So now there’s no republican or democratic student group.

Now back to football. Good luck Sat with Clemson!

Last edited:
Back