• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Liberty @ WF - Saturday 9/17 5 pm - ACCN

Not sure how to reconcile that the offense made no adjustments, with the fact that the offense scored 17 points on three straight possessions to end the game.
Probably half of all college and NFL games have a team scoring on their last three possessions, and usually the other team is as well. That is the nature of today's football. The key to winning in the current environment is to have a large working margin heading into the 4th quarter. It seems especially important for us knowing how our defense leaks like a gangraped whore in the 4th quarter. Letting them take control of the game in the third knowing the usual endgame onslaught was coming in the 4th is the issue.

yards per rush versus Liberty this year:

USM - 54-252, 4.7 ypc
UAB - 43-241, 5.6 ypc
WFU - 26-21, 0.8 ypc

I don't want to speak for others, but I don't think people care about religious private universities. When accusations of rape being swept under the rug and accusers being punished for speaking out, that is when people start to have issues. When the leaders seem to be hypocritical Falwell/Benny Hinn/Kenneth Copeland types that are in it to get rich, that doesn't help either.

The Catholic Church, Morman Church or even Baptist Church are always going to have people that disagree with them or have people in their organization that do bad things. It's the nature of large organizations. I think the difference with Liberty is that you can look directly to the leadership and see where the issues are.
Thank you for a logical response instead of the usual "fuck Liberty" post

I'm still just baffled at Clawson's comments admitting that we abandoned the run against Liberty in a game we were (mostly) winning. And him seemingly being OK with it because of the scheme that Liberty was playing. If the scheme was that aggressive, we should have had guys running wide open on every pass play. Sure Sam missed a lot of throws, but I did not see that being close to the case. We will undoubtedly need to run the ball to close out games against similar/better talent and scheme later in the year.

Do we have running plays designed to go outside the tackles? Do we ever pull OL to let them get out in space and build some momentum to road grade? The total lack of jet sweeps/pop passes against a defense that is obviously crashing the mesh point has confused me for years. We used to sprinkle in some speed option occasionally, which could prove effective, if Sam is fully healthy. I know we have more designed runs than we used to vs. just the slow mesh RPO, but it certainly doesn't look like we have much ingenuity in the run game compared to most quality offensive teams.
Liberty was just flat out winning the point of attack. I am not sure how much any kind of special scheme plays into just winning your one-on-one battles.

I agree it would be nice to see some screens, counter plays, etc... something to get an aggressive defense off balance. The TE screen in the Vandy game was a great example of this. This has been rare to see, even as good as our offense as been.

If it wasn't for the forced fumble and runback right near the end-zone and Morin's big punt return, how many points does the WF offense score? We started the second-half with two-straight 3-and-out drives, quick turnovers on downs, and then a Hartman INT. This is the point where I thought Clawson may put Griffis for a series just to calm things down a bit, because it seemed like a meltdown.

If we are physically outmatched against Liberty Dline, I have no idea how we can adjust for Clemson, let alone Duke or BC. It has completely shifted my outlook on the season, unless you buy into the idea that Liberty is a really good team defensive team.

The rushing stats that opposing teams had against them this season is downright scary compared to what we could do. UAB had an RB with 20 carries for 177 yards and another RB for that went 17/91. Southern Miss had their lead RB go 32/178 and 252 overall (granted, 4 OT game). Now, neither team could do anything in the passing game against Liberty, but we can't even manage half their yards on the ground? How is that possible.

Last edited:
The same UMass who had Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan speak at their campus? Try being a LGBT in a fundamentalist Muslim group vs one at Liberty and see who gets treated better.

I just don't get all the Liberty hate when no one says anything about Notre Dame or BYU, both who are backed by church groups that have similar ideological leanings.

Are we so thin skinned that we can't live or tolerate a world with people with differing views? I have no connection to Liberty but it's kind of embarrassing to see some on here frothing at the mouth in super snowflake mode because we dare play a team in which you might disagree with the founder.
Good on UMass for having Farrakan. A time when the concept of University was still in vogue. All speakers welcome. In my time at Wake we had Larry Flynt speak. We were still owned by the Southern Baptist Convention. So many pussies now. They can't listen, but more importantly they don't want to hear. University should engage every thought, everyday, all the time. People are so freaking insecure. Then add the right in America has been hung up on everything sexual for 200 years. The Christian Nationalist fears in this country are laughable.

Good on UMass for having Farrakan. A time when the concept of University was still in vogue. All speakers welcome. In my time at Wake we had Larry Flynt speak. We were still owned by the Southern Baptist Convention. So many pussies now. They can't listen, but more importantly they don't want to hear. University should engage every thought, everyday, all the time. People are so freaking insecure. Then add the right in America has been hung up on everything sexual for 200 years. The Christian Nationalist fears in this country are laughable.
What decade are you in? It's not the Christian Right that is cancelling speakers at Universities today. It's the illiberal Progressives.

What decade are you in? It's not the Christian Right that is cancelling speakers at Universities today. It's the illiberal Progressives.
I don't think mack was criticizing a particular side, but oh boy did you just sound the alarm and light the bat signal. Good luck to you.

which of these conservative universities are even booking illiberal progressives? has Liberty invited the likes of Biden, Sanders, Buttigieg, etc? last I saw Wake was having George W Bush as a speaker.

I don't think mack was criticizing a particular side, but oh boy did you just sound the alarm and light the bat signal. Good luck to you.
Lol. Yep. I'm done with this thread. Here come the snowflakes. Good luck ironwill.

The same UMass who had Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan speak at their campus? Try being a LGBT in a fundamentalist Muslim group vs one at Liberty and see who gets treated better.

I just don't get all the Liberty hate when no one says anything about Notre Dame or BYU, both who are backed by church groups that have similar ideological leanings.

Are we so thin skinned that we can't live or tolerate a world with people with differing views? I have no connection to Liberty but it's kind of embarrassing to see some on here frothing at the mouth in super snowflake mode because we dare play a team in which you might disagree with the founder.
It's not a matter of living with and tolerating people with other views. It's a matter of calling out people who are unwilling to tolerate other views. And to be clear, tolerating these views does not mean that those spouting them get a pass from being called a dumbass.

Up until Wake, I went to Catholic schools. I went to a Jesuit high school. Open questioning and debate was encouraged because it pushes everyone's thinking. Growing up in the northeast, a good chunk of my classmates were Jewish. We had openly gay students. While the Catholic church has its line on things, they were never dehumanized.

Looking at the examples of Notre Dame and BYU, even at those schools they have student LGBTQ+ groups. BYU's isn't officially sanctioned by the university, but it is still given the space and support to operate. While I fundamentally disagree with both the positions of the Mormon and Catholic churches, they are not forcing groups of students into the shadows. While I'm sure BYU wouldn't be supportive of some massive pride event, they are still making a minimal effort.

And for being tolerant of others with differing views, neither BYU nor ND have banned any and all left-leaning student groups from their campus, whereas Liberty has. Conservatism is not fundamental to Christianity, but for a group of people that bemoan the idea of "safe spaces" and "snowflakes" Liberty has taken some pretty extreme steps to create an uber-conservative safe space.

Then there is the systemic cover up of an out of control rape culture. Cinciflame was literally on here last week with rape apologetics to the tune of "sometimes things happen and women get confused by their emotions" which is disgusting and abhorrent.

For these reasons, fuck Liberty.

I mean some view points are so fucking wrong there is no place for them in society, a lot of those view points happen to reside in the ultra conservative sphere. There shouldn’t be safe space from things like economic difference but the hear out all view points when one of them is something like holocaust denialism is grotesque.

There is no topic that should be forbidden on a University campus. Never. Ever. Could get a party of one. Doesn't matter.

seriously, what is there to debate about when it comes to liberty? That its ok for a school to condone and cover up rape? That its ok to openly discriminate against other human beings. Fuck that and Fuck Liberty.

Why do you think cancelling books and forcing teachers not to teach about certain topics is somehow more virtuous than cancelling speakers?

Conservatism is not fundamental to Christianity...

Not only is it not fundamental to Christianity, it is in the process of perverting it into something unrecognizable. A group of people (emboldened by Trump, though religion has always been a way to rationalize awful behavior against those who have different beliefs) have decided that if they launder hate and bigotry through religion it is now somehow acceptable, even as a national platform.

If people want to gather together, revel in their intolerance, ignore science, treat anyone who doesn't look and think like them horribly, and assume it's cool because the old white dude in the clouds is down, then I guess that's their right. But keep that shit out of my government, and away from my sports fields.

doesn't want to discuss, leaves thread because feelings hurt, calls others snowflakes.

Not only that. He refuses to go to the Tunnels and discuss these issues straight up. Instead he drops hot takes on the sports board and gets mad when people challenge him on it. Talk politics if you want to take politics.

doesn't want to discuss, leaves thread because feelings hurt, calls others snowflakes.
I'm always surprised when I hear people use this phrase in 2022 as a "I really showed them" type phrase. It is kind of like seeing a kid that is still dabbing.

Back