• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

List of Pretentious Shit

Any holiday card with a family pic.

I still get an annual update letter from a lady I went to law school with. I legit haven't seen her or spoken to her since 1995 yet every year I get a multi-page letter detailing her family's exploits over the past 12 months - trips, ailments, surgeries, births, deaths, marriages, moves, psychological struggles - you name it. I know more about her family members, people I have never met and never will meet, than I know about some of my own family members. I always wonder what she is thinking as she puts my letter in the envelope. "Well, I haven't seen or spoken to Scooter84 since 1995 but I am sure he still appreciates hearing all of our family news!"

I still get an annual update letter from a lady I went to law school with. I legit haven't seen her or spoken to her since 1995 yet every year I get a multi-page letter detailing her family's exploits over the past 12 months - trips, ailments, surgeries, births, deaths, marriages, moves, psychological struggles - you name it. I know more about her family members, people I have never met and never will meet, than I know about some of my own family members. I always wonder what she is thinking as she puts my letter in the envelope. "Well, I haven't seen or spoken to Scooter84 since 1995 but I am sure he still appreciates hearing all of our family news!"

have you moved since then? if so, how'd she get your address?

I have an older relative in small-town Ohio like that. For about 25 years he sent a detailed letter every Christmas about his family's exploits that year to dozens of relatives and others. He was (is) a pompous ass, but my family always loved reading his letter each year because it was so unintentionally funny - he mentioned all the great things that had happened to him that year ("I have been named the Grand Elder Chief Pooh-bah of the Southwestern Western Southern Ohio District of the Elks Club") along with disparaging comments about his wife and kids ("My son still hasn't gotten a job and pretty much just hangs out here at home"). At first I couldn't believe that anyone would send out a mass Christmas letter so relentlessly praising themselves while including so many snide remarks about their wife and kids, but we always got a laugh out of it every year. I've never cared much for those kinds of Christmas letters myself - they typically just sound like bragging, especially about the exploits of any kids or grandkids.

Last edited:
Is it different if those letters come from people who aren’t pretentious?

The only Christmas letter we get is from my father in law’s cousin and his wife who are in their 80s and just the most Minnesota people you could imagine. I enjoy it. Lots of stuff about pot lucks, ice fishing, and grandkid’s hockey games.

Phi Beta Kappa

Extra points for displaying your framed Phi Beta Kappa certificate on your office wall 20 years after your college graduation.

Putting a country club vanity tag on the front of your car. In Tampa, I've unfortunately learned to recognize the "TYCC" flag from seeing it on luxury SUV front bumpers.

Naming COVID variants after Greek letters in an attempt to discredit fraternities.

Guys who go by a nickname derived from their last name, i.e. Hutch Hutchinson, Stew Stuart, Cal Callahan, Monty Montgomery, etc.

Back