• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lobbyists Call Charlotte '2nd Tier City'!!!!1!

Seems like a definition of what your "tiers" are based on would provide context to what you consider a T1 city versus lower tiers. For me, it would be mostly based on population, but with elements of global relevance, history, and popular culture. The perfect example is DC - if the federal government wasn't headquartered here, it would be a T3 city at best.

T1: NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, DC
T2: Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Fran
T3: Phoenix, San Antonio, Atlanta, San Diego, Detroit, Denver, Seattle

But anyone can make an argument for other cities to be included or for these cities to be in a different tier.

that is such a dumb point. as the capitol of the country in a central location between north and south there would undoubtedly be a draw. what's the draw to philly that dc doesn't have?

Hate to break it to you, but nobody gives a rat's ass about Philadelphia either.

agreed. san fran is tier one. it is the only city in america close to as expensive to live in as nyc? it is huge, culturally significant, with tons of industry. not sure how you could put it on par with philly and behind houston.

This conversation is why the board exists -- having a sincere debate re: whether Philly should be in Tier 1, 2 or 3. I love it. God bless America.

This conversation is why the board exists -- having a sincere debate re: whether Philly should be in Tier 1, 2 or 3. I love it. God bless America.

I've been on the boards, in whatever form they've existed, since 2003. Thus, I expect most posters to have irrational, uninformed opinions about Philadelphia because most of their "knowledge" of the city comes from overblown stories about booing Santa and throwing batteries. So carry on.

I've been on the boards, in whatever form they've existed, since 2003. Thus, I expect most posters to have irrational, uninformed opinions about Philadelphia because most of their "knowledge" of the city comes from overblown stories about booing Santa and throwing batteries. So carry on.

no one on the boards has ever traveled to philly. we go to most every other city in america, but our opinions of philly are unfounded.

Actually most of the boards' knowledge about Philadelphia comes from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

i do love the dichotomy of all the philly posters (or people in general) that love it so much but dont live there. i love tampa, but i dont live there because it isnt a tier whatever city. all the philly posters claim it is a tier whatever city and dont live there.

Actually most of the boards' knowledge about Philadelphia comes from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

yep. just like how Reno 911! shapes my opinion of that city. two of my good friends in DC are from there and when we went to Tahoe this year and flew into Reno I sat next to a methhead mother and son who argued and cussed at each other LOUDLY the entire flight there (and we were in a row in front of like 5 unaccompanied minors). looks like I was proven right.

This is actually true for me. Without that show, I would not know the District 37 Comptroller is an elected official.

Philly is such a strong tier city that when any weather hits the Northeast the airport shuts downs and backs up to allow flights departing Boston, JFK, LGA, and Newark to leave on time while they sit bitch waiting.

The weird thing about Charlotte is that the city feels brand new. I was there last year and everything Uptown (isn't that what you locals call it?) feels like it was built in the last ten years. The city is clean, but really lacks the interesting architecture and culture of cities along the Northeast corridor (D.C., NY, Boston, Philly, Baltimore). The whole place seemed very sterile to me.

that's because it is.

and if our posters from philly are any indication it's a tier 10 city.

The weird thing about Charlotte is that the city feels brand new. I was there last year and everything Uptown (isn't that what you locals call it?) feels like it was built in the last ten years. The city is clean, but really lacks the interesting architecture and culture of cities along the Northeast corridor (D.C., NY, Boston, Philly, Baltimore). The whole place seemed very sterile to me.

i mean, this makes sense... especially given that you're comparing it to the oldest cities in the country.
i understand what you mean, though, and i agree. it's missing that city grime (for better or for worse).
as for the culture, it's essentially turned into a relatively yuppy southern city. the 'culture' is driven by women who get all their ideas from pinterest and anthropologie (NTTAWWT). yes, i'm generalizing like crazy and there's definitely more to it if you dig down or get a little farther out, but thats what i see.

I've spent a good bit of time in Philly... I actually like it

Phoenix is no Atlanta. We are teir 4 or 5. Seattle is a 2. Interested to know which of these cities you have visited before ranking them.

philly is fine, but there's a reason its population has been declining.

i mean, this makes sense... especially given that you're comparing it to the oldest cities in the country.
i understand what you mean, though, and i agree. it's missing that city grime (for better or for worse).
as for the culture, it's essentially turned into a relatively yuppy southern city. the 'culture' is driven by women who get all their ideas from pinterest and anthropologie (NTTAWWT). yes, i'm generalizing like crazy and there's definitely more to it if you dig down or get a little farther out, but thats what i see.

charlotte seems to be the sterile/shitty part of any city and that's it. i blame the bankers.

philly is fine, but there's a reason its population has been declining.

agreed. i liked it ok. i liked it more than charlotte. i dont see what makes it betetr than seattle or denver or on par with san fran.

it's sterile, but not really shitty.

but blame bankers anyway. i'm fine with that

it's sterile, but not really shitty.

but blame bankers anyway. i'm fine with that

i meant shitty as in not cool. it is just so generic, and that is what i like about "real" cities.

Back