• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lobbyists Call Charlotte '2nd Tier City'!!!!1!

Seems like a definition of what your "tiers" are based on would provide context to what you consider a T1 city versus lower tiers. For me, it would be mostly based on population, but with elements of global relevance, history, and popular culture. The perfect example is DC - if the federal government wasn't headquartered here, it would be a T3 city at best.

T1: NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, DC
T2: Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, San Fran
T3: Phoenix, San Antonio, Atlanta, San Diego, Detroit, Denver, Seattle

But anyone can make an argument for other cities to be included or for these cities to be in a different tier.

Wait you have Detroit and Seattle in the same tier? Are you insane?

i meant shitty as in not cool. it is just so generic, and that is what i like about "real" cities.

gotcha

the downtown is very generic, but there are some cool neighborhood areas (but no, not like a nyc, san fran, chicago, DC, etc)

I haven't spent a ton of time in Charlotte, but it seems like the whole city is the equivalent of a big chain store/restaurant. For people who know Charlotte better, would you say it has a "personality?"

I get the same vibe about Charlotte -- that the burbs just crept right into downtown, excuse me, uptown.

A lot of the old storefronts along Tryon Street were torn down when they skyscrapers were built inthe 80's and 90's. But they had fallen into serious disrepair and the area was very sketchy when uptown started making its comeback. So that area lost a lot of character to new development. On the other hand, the whole 2nd Ward neighborhood got bulldozed along the way in the 1960's. A lot of people have bad things to say about that, but it was extremely rundown and wasn't a safe neighborhood at all.

Residents are moving back into uptown though into the condo and apartment buildings, and as there are more residents, there will be more clubs and shopping returning to the area. In other words, more character.

Let's be serious - T1 is just the elite, world cities in the US. GTFO of here with your Houstons.

T1 - NYC, LA, Chicago. That's it. The whole list. And if you say DC belongs on this list, I'll neg rep you to eternity and back.
T2 - DC, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia
T3 - bunch of other cities. this is where your Houstons, Seattles, Atlantas and the like go.

I haven't spent a ton of time in Charlotte, but it seems like the whole city is the equivalent of a big chain store/restaurant. For people who know Charlotte better, would you say it has a "personality?"

Although Uptown does feel very new, you still have an interesting dichotomy in Charlotte when you compare Nascar and all that goes with it with the two large banks. Just like any decent sized city you've got an artsy area of primarily hipster types (NoDa). Also think it's really cool that you can easily walk to see the two major sports teams play from almost anywhere uptown.

There are plenty of festivals/events of extremely different types throughout the year (Greek Festival in week or two FTW). Supposedly the largest St Patrick's Day bar crawl in the world (not sure I believe this). Anyways, Charlotte isn't completely culture-less, although many people who live here don't go out and experience the different offerings.

I don't know man, I think downtown probably needs to be left as is with the monuments and all that. Would look terrible with a bunch of skyscrapers. There's always Arlington to build out excessively.

I really don't understand the Chicago love. It's a fine city but no way it's in a higher tier than DC or Boston.

I don't know man, I think downtown probably needs to be left as is with the monuments and all that. Would look terrible with a bunch of skyscrapers. There's always Arlington to build out excessively.

A city is a place for people to live and work and play. Downtown is where the Metro is centered, and it's where the jobs should be.

By my estimation, the buildings surrounding Central Park in NYC are tallest at the southeast corner. I've never heard any complaints about it relative to other parts of the park (or complaints about Central Park relative to other parks, excepting former crime concerns). Now NYC has it's own problems with too much historic preservation and some areas aren't built as tall as they could/should be, but it's much taller than DC and that hasn't seemed to hurt aesthetics.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the Chicago love. It's a fine city but no way it's in a higher tier than DC or Boston.

Besides being far superior in terms of culinary scene, art, music and culture in general? Besides having the same population as DC and Boston combined, it's the 3rd largest economy in the US and home to the second largest quantity of financial exchanges. Besides the fact that along with NYC, it forms the heart of the United States financial services industry?

Chicago shits on DC and Boston in terms of being a major city both on the world level, and inside the United States. It's the "Second City" for a reason.

:noidea: I've been to Chicago. Wasn't really blown away. Definitely not in the same league as NYC or LA to me. It also has to be beyond fucking miserable to live there in the winter.

I'm not a huge Chicago fan as an occasional visitor. I think if lived there I'd learn to really like it though. And I hate the Cubs and their fans.

Chicago's winter sucks, but I think the summers there are way better than almost any other city in the country. Being a resident in Chicago would be a lot of fun, it is way way way cheaper to live there than NYC, DC, SF, LA

A city is a place for people to live and work and play. Downtown is where the Metro is centered, and it's where the jobs should be.

By my estimation, the buildings surrounding Central Park in NYC are tallest at the southeast corner. I've never heard any complaints about it relative to other parts of the park (or complaints about Central Park relative to other parks, excepting former crime concerns). Now NYC has it's own problems with too much historic preservation and some areas aren't built as tall as they could/should be, but it's much taller than DC and that hasn't seemed to hurt aesthetics.

They are completely different cities with completely different aesthetics. DC would look awful and be ruined by growing tall. DC has concerns other cities don't since it is the nation's capitol- you would ruin the force and aura of the Capitol building, white house, washington monument, etc. if you started throwing up skyscrapers nearby.

I like that DC is more like European cities.

Last edited:
Back