• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lobo is a poor OC

This is one of the dumbest criticisms of Lobo I've seen.

Solid, in-depth rebuttal. Care to expand?

The play should have been stopped for a gain of 2-3 and a FG attempt. Lobo should sent Givens a fruit basket for making him look good there.

Solid, in-depth rebuttal. Care to expand?

The play should have been stopped for a gain of 2-3 and a FG attempt. Lobo should sent Givens a fruit basket for making him look good there.

Sure. Getting the ball in the hands of your best playmaker, in space, with blockers in front is the best way I can think of to try and score a touchdown. To claim that call is giving up and playing for the FG is ridiculous...

Calhoun was better than Lobo. Not even arguable.

It would be interesting to see what Calhoun could have done with some of our recent skill players.

Under Lobo, we are scoring more points this year than Calhoun's offense ever did. In fact, this will be the 2nd year that Lobo's offense has scored more than the best Calhoun year.

So, in other words, 7 out of 9 years (78%), his scoring offense has been worse than Calhoun's. It's 9 for 9 (100%) in total offense, in case you were wondering, and I'd daresay he's had more talented casts to work with than Calhoun did.

Neuro, you had to know that was the obvious rebuttal to your stat.

Calhoun was better than Lobo. Not even arguable.

It would be interesting to see what Calhoun could have done with some of our recent skill players.

Lobo's offense in 2003, the year after Calhoun left, scored more points than any of Calhoun's offenses, presumably with some of the same players.

Sure. Getting the ball in the hands of your best playmaker, in space, with blockers in front is the best way I can think of to try and score a touchdown. To claim that call is giving up and playing for the FG is ridiculous...

There just wasn't a lot of space on this particular screen. Not particularly wide, maybe even to the short side of the field. He really should have been down sooner.

Now Lobo did use the screen really well at other points, including late in the game, mixing them in well with runs to keep the clock moving.

Neuro, you had to know that was the obvious rebuttal to your stat.

No, OGB's makes a false deduction. I said compared to Calhoun's BEST year. Not compared to Calhoun's worst year or average over his career.

Last edited:
Lobo's offense in 2003, the year after Calhoun left, scored more points than any of Calhoun's offenses, presumably with some of the same players.

And using a lot of the same plays.

If you can't look at a game called by Lobo and not realize he's in over his head as an OC, I don't know what to tell you other than you just don't know very much about football.

These criticisms of our coaches borders on the insane. In case anyone cares to look back three months ago, we were picked last in the conference and to win at most 3 games. Look at how many young players are contributing; is that not coaching? I guess some of you think all coaches do is call plays. The bulk of the work is in practice and coming up with a game plan. With the expectations this team had, I would say 6 wins and being in position for 3 more wins qualifies as good coaching. Some of you wouldn't recognize good coaching if it bit you in the butt.

By half a point a game. Then the next season, 2 years removed from Calhoun, PPG dropped by a TD a game.

Regardless, the vast majority of Lobo's offenses have been far worse than Calhoun's.

There just wasn't a lot of space on this particular screen. Not particularly wide, maybe even to the short side of the field. He really should have been down sooner.

Now Lobo did use the screen really well at other points, including late in the game, mixing them in well with runs to keep the clock moving.

Clearly, Givens made a great play, but that is what you want your OC to do, get the ball in your playmaker's hands so that he can make a play. The blockers didn't make their plays, but Chris did. To argue that the play call was playing for a FG is what made your post so dumb. If the play call had been a fullback dive to center the ball, then you would be right.

These criticisms of our coaches borders on the insane. In case anyone cares to look back three months ago, we were picked last in the conference and to win at most 3 games. Look at how many young players are contributing; is that not coaching? I guess some of you think all coaches do is call plays. The bulk of the work is in practice and coming up with a game plan. With the expectations this team had, I would say 6 wins and being in position for 3 more wins qualifies as good coaching. Some of you wouldn't recognize good coaching if it bit you in the butt.

The thread is about being an offensive coordinator, at which Lobo is pretty bad.

Where is the thread about our dynamic duo on defense giving up another late second quarter touchdown.

Everybody is an offensive coordinator on this board.

And using a lot of the same plays.

If you can't look at a game called by Lobo and not realize he's in over his head as an OC, I don't know what to tell you other than you just don't know very much about football.

Exactly right, he took Calhoun's offense and many of the same players and improved it to score more points.

Now he has taken different players and a different offense to score more points than Calhoun. I won't get personal and claim it's you that doesn't know much about football but...

Clearly, Givens made a great play, but that is what you want your OC to do, get the ball in your playmaker's hands so that he can make a play. The blockers didn't make their plays, but Chris did. To argue that the play call was playing for a FG is what made your post so dumb. If the play call had been a fullback dive to center the ball, then you would be right.

So if it had been a direct snap to Givens and a dive behind the center, you would have bewn cool with that?

Your entire argument is that it was a great call because it went to Givens. That's asinine.

Exactly right, he took Calhoun's offense and many of the same players and improved it to score more points.

Now he has taken different players and a different offense to score more points than Calhoun. I won't get personal and claim it's you that doesn't know much about football but...

Imagine what this team could do with a decent OC.

Again, you can quote your stats all you want, but if you can't watch a game or a series of our games and realize that our OC is a liability, I don't know what to tell you.

Are you serious, man? Your argument that Lobo is a good OC is that the year after Calhoun left, his offense scored 0.5 points a game more than Calhoun with the same players even though his offense scored a full 7 points less than that the next year.

Then Lobo took 8 more seasons before getting back to that point again.

That's a failure, not a success.

And since I'm a stickler for accurate statistics, Neuro, you need to stop saying that Lobo's offense in 2003 scored more points than Calhoun's offense in 2002. Here is the offensive scoring breakdown for those two seasons:

2002 (13 games) - 33 rushing TDs, 8 passing TDs, 17 FGs ~ 338 pts (26.0 per game)
2003 (12 games) - 31 rushing TDs, 8 passing TDs, 8 FGs ~ 297 pts (24.8 per game)

The difference? In 2002, we only had 3 defensive TDs. In 2003, we had 6. So your claim that Lobo had a superior offense to Calhoun in 2003 is only based on the performance of the 2003 defense.

Last edited:
Are you serious, man? Your argument that Lobo is a good OC is that the year after Calhoun left, his offense scored 0.5 points a game more than Calhoun with the same players even though his offense scored a full 7 points less than that the next year.

Then Lobo took 8 more seasons before getting back to that point again.

That's a failure, not a success.

I have heard JimGrobe say many times that he admired Lobo because he would call plays that would help us win, not just pad his offensive stats. For example , there are times Grobe wants to run some time, keep it on the ground and punt to pin the opponent.

So if it had been a direct snap to Givens and a dive behind the center, you would have bewn cool with that?

Your entire argument is that it was a great call because it went to Givens. That's asinine.

No, I said that he got the ball to our playmaker, in space, with blockers. A wildcat formation with Givens, might have actually worked. What is assinine is claiming that Lobo wasn't trying to score a touchdown. (Lobo to Chris: " please don't run this into the endzone, just center it for the FG" :rulz:)

Back