• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lobo is a poor OC

Serious Question:
How do you guys feel about the schemes our defensive coordinators called today? Looked to me that we were facing a run-only threat from their back-up QB, but we were contstantly out of postion to stop runs up the middle; also called minimal blitz packages when it appeared that was needed. Our defense gave up over 400 yards. Only thing that saved us was Marlyland's self-destruction in the red zone and Lobo's offensive game plan that resulted in over 500 yards and 31 points.

And using a lot of the same plays.

If you can't look at a game called by Lobo and not realize he's in over his head as an OC, I don't know what to tell you other than you just don't know very much about football.

Then Jim Grobe doesn't know very much about football. Lobo does exactly what his boss wants.

while Lobo is not the best OC he is far from the worst. frankly, there is no OC in college football to which the average fan would agree with 100% of their calls. Lobo is very good between the 20's then struggles in the red zone. but, the idiocy of most of our fans who swear he is the worst in football is crystallized at every game I attend when I hear fans yell at Lobo at the most bizarre time. I assume these morons are emblematic of the posters on this board. Today's example...Price throws an absolutely awful ball that was in the hands of the Md LB but fortunately dropped...yep, the fans around me blamed Lobo. The football IQ of most of our fans is about at the same level as they believe Lobo is at as an OC.

Are you serious, man? Your argument that Lobo is a good OC is that the year after Calhoun left, his offense scored 0.5 points a game more than Calhoun with the same players even though his offense scored a full 7 points less than that the next year.

Then Lobo took 8 more seasons before getting back to that point again.

That's a failure, not a success.

I'm semi-serious. I think Calhoun was a great offensive coordinator. I'm not saying Lobo is better, just pointing out that Lobo is not that bad. He has scored more points than our best OC scored in his best year a couple of times now. If Calhoun were an average or below average OC then scoring better than his best year only twice in 9 years would be a failure, but to match or exceed our best coordinator is a fairly high bar to achieve. You roundly criticized Lobo for getting yards but not points in previous years (and rightly so) saying that only points count. I'm just pointing out that he's scoring points and the defense is not helping (only 2 defensive points this year).

I'm semi-serious. I think Calhoun was a great offensive coordinator. I'm not saying Lobo is better, just pointing out that Lobo is not that bad. He has scored more points than our best OC scored in his best year a couple of times now. If Calhoun were an average or below average OC then scoring better than his best year only twice in 9 years would be a failure, but to match or exceed our best coordinator is a fairly high bar to achieve. You roundly criticized Lobo for getting yards but not points in previous years (and rightly so) saying that only points count. I'm just pointing out that he's scoring points and the defense is not helping (only 2 defensive points this year).

And it took him how many years to do it?

And it took him how many years to do it?

Actually I looked back and I missed 2007 when the team scored at 27.9/game. I don't know how many were defensive TDs, but if it holds up then the answer is 4 years.

We can't overlook defensive and special teams TD's. They were a staple of our '06 team.

Actually I looked back and I missed 2007 when the team scored at 27.9/game. I don't know how many were defensive TDs, but if it holds up then the answer is 4 years.

A lot. That was the season we averaged almost a defensive/special teams TD a game.

Offense - 21 passing TDs, 13 rushing TDs, 18 FGs ~ 292 pts, 22.5 per game
Defense - 2 return TDs, 6 pick sixes, 2 fumble return TDs. ~ 70 pts, 5.4 per game

Wake has had one of the worst offenses in the country over Lobo's tenure as OC. I did the numbers awhile back. I'll see if I can find them.

Last edited:
We can't overlook defensive and special teams TD's. They were a staple of our '06 team.

The '06 team was one of our lowest scoring teams even including defensive and special teams TD's. Under Grobe, our record depends much more on how good our defense is than how much our offense scores. I'm pretty sure this is true but if Ph has access to statistical software, it would be neat to do a regression analysis and figure out how much offensive points and defensive points allowed contributes to the number of our wins.

The analysis would be more difficult than that and it would need to be in context of other teams, at least within the entire conference.

Here are the other Lobo stats I put together back in April. Love the search function.

I was curious so I ran the numbers again. I'll post more if TWDeac or somebody can tell me how to format a chart properly on these boards. From the looks of it, I can post my Excel chart but that may be overkill.

Over the time that Lobo has been our OC, here is where Wake stands in Total Offense and Scoring Offense among 120 FBS teams

Total Offense (highest after the comma)
Average yards per game per season = 340.8 (#102, Texas Tech 501.2)
Average Total Offense rank = 82.4 (#104, Texas Tech 5.5)

Scoring offense

Average points per game per season = 24.1 (#80, Boise State 41.9)
Average TDs per season = 35.8 (#85, Boise State 71.4)
Average FGs per season = 12.3 (#93, Wisconsin 18.3)
Average scoring offense rank = 75.3 (#84, Boise State 4.1)

Average total/scoring offense rank = 78.8 (#96)

In other words, average together all the total offense and scoring offense ranks for Wake Forest in every year since 2003, it comes down to the #96 ranked offense out of 120 teams. By comparison, Duke is next to last in overall offense at #119. When you consider that in 2003, there were only 117 teams, that's stunning. UNC is at #97 and UVa is at #94. FSU is the best at #39. Keep in mind, they fired an OC over that stretch.

Some additional info to go along with this point:

From 2003-2010, our best season of scoring offense was #50 in 2003 and the best total offense was #41 in 2009. Over that time frame, 100 of the 120 schools have had a season in which they were Top 40 in total offense and 106 schools have had a season in which they were better than #50 in scoring offense.

Not only that. 84 teams had multiple years better than #50 in scoring offense and 40 schools finished better than #50 in 5 or more of the last 8 seasons.

94 teams had multiple years in the Top 40 in scoring offense and 34 schools finished better than #41 in 5 or more of the last 8 seasons.

So in other words, our highs weren't all that high and our highs would be considered low by plenty of programs.

Actually, I was just talking about plugging in season wins, points scored and points allowed into a multivariate regression analysis to get the correlation coefficients. I'm no longer in research, so I don't have access to the software but I thought you might in your line of work.

The pass on 4th and 2 was terrible. Stupid playcall. Gave Maryland free points.

Actually, I was just talking about plugging in season wins, points scored and points allowed into a multivariate regression analysis to get the correlation coefficients. I'm no longer in research, so I don't have access to the software but I thought you might in your line of work.

Excel will run a regression. :noidea:

in 06-08 the offense was conservative by design, so poor offensive numbers during those 3 years at least are to be expected.

Serious Question:
How do you guys feel about the schemes our defensive coordinators called today? Looked to me that we were facing a run-only threat from their back-up QB, but we were contstantly out of postion to stop runs up the middle; also called minimal blitz packages when it appeared that was needed. Our defense gave up over 400 yards. Only thing that saved us was Marlyland's self-destruction in the red zone and Lobo's offensive game plan that resulted in over 500 yards and 31 points.

Good question. TB and QB averaged over 8 per carry. We did get gashed up the middle repeatedly. We will need a better effort against Vandy.

Glad to see Lobo is looking to the TE more in the passing game particularly in the red zone.

Last edited:
Good question. TB and QB averaged over 8 per carry. We did get gashed up the middle repeatedly. We will need a better effort against Vandy.

Glad to see Lobo is looking to the TE more in the passing game particularly in the red zone.

I would bet the great majority of Offensive Coordinators would love to have 504 net yards in 80 plays.

I would bet the great majority of Offensive Coordinators would love to have 504 net yards in 80 plays.

Sure, but here's some context:

Miami @ Maryland: 499 yards, 24 points, 4 TO
WVU @ Maryland: 480 yards, 37 points, 3 TO
Temple @ Maryland: 425 yards, 38 points, 1 TO
Towson @ Maryland: 378 yards, 3 points 4 TO
Maryland @ Georgia Tech: 386 yards, 21 points, 1 TO
Clemson @ Maryland: 576 yards, 56 points, 2 TO
Maryland @ FSU: 478 yards, 41 points, 1 TO
BC @ Maryland: 404 yards, 28 points, 4 TO
Virginia @ Maryland: 527 yards, 31 points, 3 TO
Notre Dame vs Maryland (N): 508 yards, 45 points, 0 TO
Maryland @ Wake Forest: 504 yards, 31 points, 0 TO
Average: 470 yards, 32 points, 2 TO
Average D1A: 479 yards, 35 points, 1.9 TO
Average Power Conference: 485, 35 points, 2 TO

Not quite as impressive when you consider the opponent, is it?

Back