• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lobo now RB coach too

I think it's a slight to take the guy in charge of the most important single group on the team given the offense and moving him to covering all kicking duties.

It also says more that Grobe and Lobo have been hands-on with the running-backs. Gives the players the idea that they are being watched carefully on and likely off the field to stay out of trouble. Could be more than just an on-the-field coaching move.

Not if that most important single group was one of the worst in the nation last year.

BTW, I think Lobo is a really good and smart guy. However, as a coach I am unconvinced. Yet I am willing to be persuaded. The window of opportunity is small though for this staff. So, let them give it their best shot. We should know if the move is wise by the 4th game of the season.

Yeah you're probably right after 10 years I think we definitely need four more games. Maybe we can move him over to defense next year if this fails now that he will have been responsible for basically every aspect of offense and failed miserably every single time.

Then we can see if he's a good defensive coach. If that fails lets move him to head coach and then athletic director if that fails. Sounds good to me.

[/B]

Good point. There really will be no place to hide if the running game fails.

Haha. He's had no legit place to hide for a long time. This year will be no different.

Developing what? It's not like he's had nothing to do with the failures of our OL, ineffective and barely existent TE, misuse of Bohannon (and Rinfrette before him) at FB, and the decline of the running game. Putting him directly responsible for their development is a huge risk and something we shouldn't be talking about.

Developing the offense that we are planning to run this year. It's fine to disagree with him being the OC at all, but it makes a lot of sense for him to work with all of the players that are similar and not just the FBs and TEs because the RBs are in this group too.

Somebody had to oversee them all and you do not believe that it should be Coach Lobotzke, obviously Coach Grobe thinks it should be.

Can't he any worse than the AD we have now. I like your thinking mebane.

Also very weird timing on the release of that news. I'm guessing that Gary just wrote it when he got back in from practice, but it's pretty late for a news release from the official site.

Which means that perhaps that was the reason for the move does it not?

Sure. Doesn't mean Lobo is the right person for the job or that Mitchell is on his way out.

Agree that announcing a coaching change 3 days into practice is weird. Either the change was abrupt or this has been in the works and nobody thought to ask Grobe if there were any staff changes.

Maybe LOBO is the kind of guy that says YES to every question Grobe gives him. Maybe he's the Machiovellian character that is linning himself up for the succession after Grobe. Maybe Grobe saw that he needed Mitchell to be a dedicated special team supervisor. Maybe it's been too long since my last cup of coffee.

Every move by this staff will be scrutinized like never before so let them give it their very best shot. Frankly I think they have made good moves at OL, LB, WR, and DB. However the QB, TE and RB coaches really have a great deal to prove. That is also true of special teams both kicking and returning. So these shifts are make or break deals.

It should be an entertaining season, at least the first part.

I think we should give lobo a chance to run the school too. Seems like he's nice and he hasn't shown he can't do it yet. So why not give it a shot?!

Sure. Doesn't mean Lobo is the right person for the job or that Mitchell is on his way out.

Agree that announcing a coaching change 3 days into practice is weird. Either the change was abrupt or this has been in the works and nobody thought to ask Grobe if there were any staff changes.

Well I saw Lobo out there coaching the RBs and everybody was grouped together, but it was like that last year I thought the first few practices as well.

I just assumed that it was something new for the first few days. Coach Grobe has also been doing a lot of coaching with the RB's, so it almost seems like they are joint coaches there.

They are both definitely watching over this group carefully.

I'm not sure when the day will come when this board realizes Lobo is just an extension of Grobe... but I think it's going to click in one day. I think so.

I think everybody realizes that. Which is why Grobe needs to cut the cord and get a legit offensive mind to come in and take over the offense.

I just don't understand why he continues to get additional duties when he doesn't prove that he's remotely competent at doing anything at his original jobs. Why does he keep getting spread around more and more?
This is Wake Forest, Numbers. We hire/promote coaches who were incompetent at their previous jobs.

Last edited:
Getting the good tee times and filling the cooler.

Also making sure there is enough "lite beer" in cooler at least during football season. "Koolaid" for after season ends.

Back