• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Long Time Buzz In Calls It Quits. Hire Chill or Battle as Interim Coach

Anybody who has exhibited some success at the college level would be an improvement.

Surely, Chill is giving advice on this subject to all who will listen.

I have eight years of YMCA coaching experience and two of my teams won their respective championships.

I am officially throwing my hat into the ring. Oh, I also hold two degrees from MSD.

We need a real coach, I'm not saying anything bad about battle, but he is an assistant coach. Chill has no real experience coaching.

Ron needs to do his job and do what it takes to get us a basketball coach that people can feel confident about. I don't expect anyone to come in and turn things around over night. It will take time. But we need someone that can turn things around in a reasonable time while reassuring the fan base.

Our current guy can't do that (hate it for buzz, probably not a bad person). Battle would be like second Dino, if that, in my opinion. Chill was a great player, and if he served his time as a real assistant (kind of like wojo at duke), maybe he would be ready for the job one day. In this arguably worst hour (speaking as the era as a whole, not this particular moment) of wake basketball, we need someone that knows what to do and how to do it. Or we just need to be resigned to the fact that we are the new (typical) florida state, having our good seasons getting us to the middle. That doesn't work for me. I don't think it would have worked for skip or even Dave Odom. We should be better than that.

We need a real coach, I'm not saying anything bad about battle, but he is an assistant coach. Chill has no real experience coaching.

Ron needs to do his job and do what it takes to get us a basketball coach that people can feel confident about. I don't expect anyone to come in and turn things around over night. It will take time. But we need someone that can turn things around in a reasonable time while reassuring the fan base.

Our current guy can't do that (hate it for buzz, probably not a bad person). Battle would be like second Dino, if that, in my opinion. Chill was a great player, and if he served his time as a real assistant (kind of like wojo at duke), maybe he would be ready for the job one day. In this arguably worst hour (speaking as the era as a whole, not this particular moment) of wake basketball, we need someone that knows what to do and how to do it. Or we just need to be resigned to the fact that we are the new (typical) florida state, having our good seasons getting us to the middle. That doesn't work for me. I don't think it would have worked for skip or even Dave Odom. We should be better than that.

No, this is just to finish the season as interim. Dino should have been interim head coach as well.

No, this is just to finish the season as interim. Dino should have been interim head coach as well.

lol, it is amazing what a few drinks will do to your reading comprehension

But, I stand by the rest of my post in terms of a long term solution.

As far as interim, we could just let jim grobe go out there and coach basketball and he'd be hard pressed to do worse.

I respectfully disagree with your reasoning for the red-flag.

Success at Winthrop leads to an opportunity at a school like Wichita State.

Success at Wichita State (which, has only been clearly evident in the past year) leads to an opportunity at a ACC school.

He had that at NC State last year; unless there's something I don't know about the guy... I would not be disappointed if he had it at Wake this year.

In contrast to a guy like Bz... Marshall's career ladder makes 1,000,000 times more sense & as I've said (in my opinion)... Wake really can be an absolute top-tier job for the right coach. The fact he didn't want to be in Raleigh w/ frickin' NC State does nothing to disprove that.

I agree with this because it is basically the path Skip took to get to Wake. Nobody in Winston-Salem even knew who Skip was (other than some on the old board) but he had a solid track record (as in winning games). Marshall does too.

That said, I DO NOT WANT WELLMAN RUNNING OUT TO HIRE MARSHALL OR ANYONE ELSE. WE NEED TO DO A PROPER SEARCH THIS TIME WITH A SEARCH COMMITTEE, A CONSULTING FIRM AND AN INFORMED PRESIDENT AND BOARD OF TRUSTEES.

And that all shouted, I have no reason to believe Bzz is gone now or after this season.

As far as interim, we could just let jim grobe go out there and coach basketball and he'd be hard pressed to do worse.

Hah. I'm shitfaced, but not sure what I'm missing. I thought the OP was saying that Battle should finish out year and move on while we hired a real coach. Thought you were calling him the next Dino (who we hired long term). Maybe I'm just too fucked up to know what is going on right now.

Wait a minute...You're shitfaced, too. Now I get it.

If Battle would take it, give it to him. I know the guys respect him and he knows basketball. But with him almost leaving last season, we'd have to know he WANTED the job. Personally, I'd just prefer to go outside of the program. Call Shaka tonight, wish him and the Rams luck for the rest of the season and do whatever it takes to get his bags packed for Winston as soon as his season ends. Let Bzz finish the season while in the background we find someone to clean up this mess...

While waiting for the Wake game, I watched the end of the VCU/ODU game. VCU should have lost the game, but Shaka outcoached the ODU coach down the stretch.

Hah. I'm shitfaced, but not sure what I'm missing. I thought the OP was saying that Battle should finish out year and move on while we hired a real coach. Thought you were calling him the next Dino (who we hired long term). Maybe I'm just too fucked up to know what is going on right now.

If we hired battle for long term I was calling that dino #2, but I think I'm the only drunk thinking that was what the OP said.

I think you, me and the OP agree. Cheers.

While waiting for the Wake game, I watched the end of the VCU/ODU game. VCU should have lost the game, but Shaka outcoached the ODU coach down the stretch.

Why would Shaka come to Wake? This is my biggest inner debate. He already makes $1.2mm and seems to love the underdog role at VCU, he's already accomplished more there (final four) than Wake has in 40 years. He honestly thinks he can build national champions there and I don't think Wake is a step up enough to convince him otherwise.

And so, so ballsey. Moat coaches go into q shell at the end of a game. Shaka runs q second guy at the ballhandler, gets the turnover and a big and-one. Love this guy, he's my wet dream of Wake basketball coaches, but I don't think we would pursue him, much less have him accept.

Back