• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOTR: The Rings of Power

Actually the more I am reflecting the less I like it. That was a lot of super important revelation with not enough of the pieces to make the revelations worth it. This and Episode 6 were the energy this show needed all season long. But instead there were too many empty episodes that made the end here really flimsy

even though i think it's an overly melodramatic arc to invent i actually enjoyed the tension Galadriel finally figuring Sauron out

i thought the whole flashback sequence was really well done to show Sauron the Deceiver, silver-tongued master at twisting words and minds

Actually the more I am reflecting the less I like it. That was a lot of super important revelation with not enough of the pieces to make the revelations worth it. This and Episode 6 were the energy this show needed all season long. But instead there were too many empty episodes that made the end here really flimsy

i do agree they should've brought some of this heat more often

My main grip with the final episode is that there is not one mention of rings the entire season long, suddenly Sauron reaches Celebrimbor, makes a helpful suggestion, Sauron’s identity is revealed, and the Elven Rings are forged, in like three minutes. After weeks and weeks of slow pacing, this all came out far too quickly.

Not to mention we now have three elven rings and none for the dwarves or men. Kind of a major plot hole

this is actually not a canon hole; other than some time compression this all checks out. the 7 and 9 were made by Sauron, not celebrimbor, after he failed to conquer the Elves when they realized the One Ring's power and refused to give up the rings

I feel like they shoulda just started making out and then end scene

I was totally blown away that the writers would have Galadriel fuck Sauron but here we are
7a280798-4bfe-4108-b67d-f8bf0367408a_text.gif

this is actually not a canon hole; other than some time compression this all checks out. the 7 and 9 were made by Sauron, not celebrimbor, after he failed to conquer the Elves when they realized the One Ring's power and refused to give up the rings
I wasnt trying to say it was purely canon hole. I am mostly talking time (though I actually think there is some canon hole which I address in another post). The whole show is named after the dang thing. And we got the first bit in three minutes.

Last edited:
For the record I liked the tension in that conversation and Galadriel figuring it all out. I just think there were much better ways to lead up to it. Maybe it is because I just came fresh from GoT/HoD, but it just seemed like for what was likely one of the biggest story lines of this series, and biggest reveal of the first season, we got it all in one episode/in a span of a few mins

I think you could have even done the same story/scenes but spread them out over the last two episodes rather than 15 minutes of last episode. It just would have made Sauron as Annatar that much more believable. Bring him to the elves in Episode 7 and "heal" him. Watch him deceive in 8, Galadriel figure it out, and then have the same confrontation and reveal to finish 8

Last edited:
I dont think this is totally correct.

The 7 and 9 were created before the three by Sauron as gifts for the elves. The Three were fundamentally different because Celebrimbor, working alone, created them for specific purposes not in tune with Sauron's line of thought, and Sauron presumably did not know of their creation until after the fact, just as Sauron created the One without the elves knowledge. It is only after he realizes that the elves have their own rings that do not bend to his power in the same way that he comes and demands the 16. The elves by this point have wisened up and hide the three and send one of the 7 to the dwarves. Sauron regains the remaining 15 and decides they are better suited for mortals than elves, and give them to the men and dwarves.

This is another reason the mithril/elf thing is so dumb. It destroys the elves immortality and part of the reason they were able to resist Sauron (apart from again the fact that they were not forged by him) and it makes their choice to stay in Middle Earth and fight even more important, because they chance dying to do so

For the record I liked the tension in that conversation and Galadriel figuring it all out. I just think there were much better ways to lead up to it. Maybe it is because I just came fresh from GoT/HoD, but it just seemed like for what was likely one of the biggest story lines of this series, and biggest reveal of the first season, we got it all in one episode/in a span of a few mins
After watching two eps of House of the Dragon last night, this finale felt like story on training wheels. This season had its moments and overall it's decent, but agree with many here the story beats just weren't developed as thoroughly as they could have been. The misdirection used in this episode could have been interesting until they immediately said "jk"

the guys running the show come off super high on their own supply in basically every interview too, so i'm not confident feedback is going to reach those ears

I dont think this is totally correct.

The 7 and 9 were created before the three by Sauron as gifts for the elves. The Three were fundamentally different because Celebrimbor, working alone, created them for specific purposes not in tune with Sauron's line of thought, and Sauron presumably did not know of their creation until after the fact, just as Sauron created the One without the elves knowledge. It is only after he realizes that the elves have their own rings that do not bend to his power in the same way that he comes and demands the 16. The elves by this point have wisened up and hide the three and send one of the 7 to the dwarves. Sauron regains the remaining 15 and decides they are better suited for mortals than elves, and give them to the men and dwarves.

This is another reason the mithril/elf thing is so dumb. It destroys the elves immortality and part of the reason they were able to resist Sauron (apart from again the fact that they were not forged by him) and it makes their choice to stay in Middle Earth and fight even more important, because they chance dying to do so

Yeah I fucked that up. Pulled out my Silmarillion and RotK bc I was a doubting Tom. Definitely, wildly different from canon. I assume the show will have Sauron make the other rings to make it easier for non Tolkien people to follow along.

Agree again on mithril. The Rings can just be magically powerful without extra stuff. Oh well, everything has to have an explanation I guess.

I want to like this show more than I think I actually like it, mostly because of the stupid knuckle dragger commentary.

I think it’s remarkable the staying power that this universe has had in popular culture. It’s certainly a testament to a story and world that I love very much. That being said, visual story telling and fantasy writing has come so far in the last 20-30 years (largely inspired by LotR), and it feels like it’s passed Middle Earth as presented here by.

I had hoped, and I will continue to hope that this writes can make Middle Earth relevant in a post-GoT world. To this point, it feels dated, melodramatic, ham fisted, and safe.

The foreshadowing of Halbrand with the pose with the lance or the feeding Gandalf lines to The Stranger are just too much for me. Feels like fan service over storytelling.

One thing I really liked was the choice to make the Dweller move hips-forward like a model. It was arch but very weird and disconcerting.

Back