• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louie CK on Saturday Night Live tonight

Falling Skies has returned strong and I am loving Dallas.

Veep was my favorite new show, I thought it was wayyyy better than Girls, which to me sucked big time.

I'm gonna watch the The Newsroom but I'm sure it will cheese me off.

I really enjoyed The Newsroom. I will definitely be watching this season. Some of the dialog was a little over the top, but I very much enjoyed it. I thought Sam Waterson's character was hilarious. Good casting all around IMO. The newscast itself was spectacular, very good TV.

I really enjoyed The Newsroom. I will definitely be watching this season. Some of the dialog was a little over the top, but I very much enjoyed it. I thought Sam Waterson's character was hilarious. Good casting all around IMO. The newscast itself was spectacular, very good TV.

i was worried with all the mixed reviews but this post has me more exicted to check it out after work. i generally love stuff written by sorkin so who knows

@piersmorgan Forget all the snarky critics, #thenewsroom is great TV. Sorkin's a genius, and Daniels is already a better news anchor than me.

how bout that wilfred. cray. kind of disappointed based on the season finale but it was just even weirder and hopefully setting up a stong season. we shall find out this week i suppose

Really enjoyed the premiere. Was skeptical of them going with a timeline starting in 2010 but really thought they nailed some behind the scenes/news stuff from an actual event.

Watched The Newsroom this afternoon. I did think it was kind of heavyhanded, but I'm also a huge Sorkin fan and I think it has potential so I'm going to stick with it a while and see how it develops.

Buzz on Newsroom is that, like Studio 60, the pilot was the best episode and then it quickly goes downhill from there. By 4th episode, it is terrible.

I just spent the entire earlier part of the day watching West Wing cause I love Sorkin so much, Newsroom failed to connect with me. Main character is too much of a depressive/asshole to be truly believable.

I just watched Newsroom. I thought I wouldn't but I can't quit you Aaron Sorkin. I actually enjoyed it more than I expected. Daniels' character is no Jeb Bartlett (I know he's not intended to be), but I'll see where it goes.

I will probably get negrepped for this but while I respect Sorkin I don't particularly care for his signature style. Its about as realistic as the kids on Dawson's Creek talking to each other like seasoned philosophy/literature scholars. I know I'm in the minority on this one.

I will probably get negrepped for this but while I respect Sorkin I don't particularly care for his signature style. Its about as realistic as the kids on Dawson's Creek talking to each other like seasoned philosophy/literature scholars. I know I'm in the minority on this one.

I don't think this is too far off, but it's kind of a conceit of television in general. You have to suspend your disbelief for dialogue's sake in basically all scripted television. Aside from shows like Curb, It's Always Sunny, Workaholics, and Louie (shows with a ton of ad libbing/improv, also allowing mistakes in takes rather than re-shooting everything looking for perfection between characters), most if not all sitcoms operate under ridiculously fake dialogue, timing, blocking, etc. Sorkin might be especially guilty of over-writing, however, I'll give you that. In the dramatic realm, The Wire is one of the only shows I've ever seen where you could actually tell the writers staged their dialogues and did plenty of readings for dialog authenticity before producing the show.

Well you just named my fave shows. Although most critics heads would explode if they read that someone spoke to the authenticity of the Workaholics dialogue vs. Sorkin.

Actually everything I've read suggests Louie is heavily scripted.

Actually everything I've read suggests Louie is heavily scripted.

Yea I was thinking after the fact that Louie might have been a poor example in my list, because it is probably heavily scripted, aside from his interactions with others, where I'm sure there's at least a little improv. He does take measures to make it look unscripted though, except when he's intentionally trying to play up the narrative or we get his fantasy shots or whatever.

Yesterday I listened to Louie CK's Fresh Air interview from December and he talked about the scenes with Dane Cook and Joan Rivers and they were definitely scripted although Rivers had more input on the script.

Yesterday I listened to Louie CK's Fresh Air interview from December and he talked about the scenes with Dane Cook and Joan Rivers and they were definitely scripted although Rivers had more input on the script.

Yeah, he said on the BS Report that he said he sent the script over to Dane Cook and said "take it or leave it". Cook suggested one small change and Louie agreed that it was good.

Back