• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Love seeing this on my homepage...

Not in the tournament but the worst loss in the history of Wake Forest Basketball was the Air Force loss on Nov 29, 2006. None of us knew it then but that one game ruined Wake Forest Basketball.

the fact that auburn is hardly mentioned speaks volumes about the pain of being a wfu bball fan. would be a good 30 for 30

BC in 1981 was another bad tournament loss. We had a legit final four chance that year as well.

1995 was the worst and one thing nobody has mentioned is that Okie St absolutely mauled UMass in the regional final and watching that game you knew we would have won it by 25.

2002 hurt again because of what our path to the FF would have been. As someone said, a Rick Barnes coached Texas team and then a rematch with Kansas as we had lost at Phog Allen earlier that year by single digits and I would have liked our chances on a neutral court.

the fact that auburn is hardly mentioned speaks volumes about the pain of being a wfu bball fan. would be a good 30 for 30

That 2003 team is one of the most forgotten or at best overlooked teams in Wake history. They finished 25-6 and 13-3 in the ACC for sole possession of 1st place.

BC in 1981 was another bad tournament loss. We had a legit final four chance that year as well.

1995 was the worst and one thing nobody has mentioned is that Okie St absolutely mauled UMass in the regional final and watching that game you knew we would have won it by 25.

2002 hurt again because of what our path to the FF would have been. As someone said, a Rick Barnes coached Texas team and then a rematch with Kansas as we had lost at Phog Allen earlier that year by single digits and I would have liked our chances on a neutral court.

I remember when the brackets came out in 02 I thought we had a legit shot at an elite 8 because everyone and their brother had Pepperdine as a trendy pick to beat us and I felt that Oregon was extremely overrated all year. Now that you mention what our path was, it is insane how nice of a path we had to FF. That damn Craig Dawson injury.

That 2003 team is one of the most forgotten or at best overlooked teams in Wake history. They finished 25-6 and 13-3 in the ACC for sole possession of 1st place.

I think deep down we all knew that team overachieved. I mean, we barely beat ETSU the round before.

I don't think we woulda beat eventual natty champ 'cuse in Albany -- though Auburn did lose to them by only 1, so who knows

Won the ACC by two games after being picked to finish sixth.

In a tournament? Not since DePaul.

Well, we did beat the 5 and 4 as the 12 seed in the ACCT in 2006 (and knocked State out of the NCAA in the process - maybe FSU too?). But that run was ultimately inconsequential for us.

Last edited:
yes, in the tournament

regular season upsets don't count

1977. Arkansas was 26-1 and Wake while really good had lost 4 straight coming into the game and we upset them
And then DePaul in 84. They were a #1 seed.

Haven't even had the opportunity to score an NCAA upset that often. When we've been in we've generally been pretty highly seeded.
Recent failed upset opportunities:
2010 Kentucky
2004 St Joes
2002 Oregon
1993 Kentucky
A Kansas game in there somewhere?

Kansas was 1994.

But given Wake's FT shooting, it would have to be a one-off titled 14 for 30.

That is the only Wake team in my lifetime that I feel really had the real potential of cutting down the nets.
1977 team had a shot. We were ahead of Marquette in last ten minutes of the second half and got tight and fell apart. Had we won that game, we would have played UNCC (who we had beaten earlier in a close game) and then UNC for the championship. We were 2-2 against UNC that year.

Why was OK State the worst?

the 95 team had two of the greatest players in acc history

The ACC had a four-way tie for first in the regular season (any one of those teams could have made the Final Four; one did), and Wake stared them all down with the look of the team of destiny in Greensboro. Wake was easily as good as any of the teams that made the Final Four that year.

These young bloods have no idea how good Randolph was in his day. Remorseless, cold-blooded basketball killing machine. Women wanted him. Men wanted to be him. Dogs would fight just for the chance to hump his leg. Losing to a nobody team from flyover country led by a fat kid with a flat jump shot just wasn't in the script.

I'm trying to imagine being a Wake fan without first-hand memories of the Rodney/Randolph/Duncan eras. I'm getting nauseous just thinking about that kind of chosen suffering.

Last edited:
2000 - Half time of NCAA round 1 Butler game was Butler 43, Wake 10 and that was before Butler was known.

So that goes down as the absolute worst due to the complete embarrassment.

1996 without Rutland. That team had 3 NBA players in Duncan/Larue/Rutland. Rutland never stuck, but I think the knee injury derailed him. Pre knee injury he was shredding Stephon Marbury.

2003 Auburn was just sad.

Deacs will be back in tourney soon, since Hudson is gonna blow up next 2 years. Mark it down.

Back