• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mafia: C9++ Makeup Game: Civs win!

Not that I deserve this for ruining my own game, but did anyone have thoughts on how I did in regards to balancing my theme game? It was a 15 player game with:

Civ Cop, 2 Civ Masons, Civ Watcher, and Civ Doctor.

Mafia GF, Two Mafia Goons with money to do a variety of things, a hidden recruitable 4th mafia member that would eat into their money to do other things

In my mind I went back and forth between civs dominating and mafia dominating, which to me meant it was pretty fair, but I'd love feedback on that.

what benefits do masons have? i have yet to see a successful mason run.

what benefits do masons have? i have yet to see a successful mason run.

They basically get to communicate outside the game and usually get the alignment knowledge of the other

For civs it is generally a plus since you get two known civs and they get to communicate/stack votes

I also have no idea how that game ends if both SK and Mafia hit Diggler instead of each other.

Does mafia win in a 1-1 day start with the Indy? RNG?
I would call that a tie, but see the argument for RNG

Not that I deserve this for ruining my own game, but did anyone have thoughts on how I did in regards to balancing my theme game? It was a 15 player game with:

Mafia GF, Two Mafia Goons with money to do a variety of things, a hidden recruitable 4th mafia member that would eat into their money to do other things

In my mind I went back and forth between civs dominating and mafia dominating, which to me meant it was pretty fair, but I'd love feedback on that.
The biggest problem with it was going to happen if I hadn't ruined the game first, and that was that the mafia could unknowingly kill their recruit, or he could be day killed.

But the way I constructed it they had 2 opportunities each night to find the recruit, and there were 2 opportunities each day/night for the recruit to die. So pretty 50/50. And if the recruit died they could pivot and buy something powerful like an extra night kill or an unstoppable night kill.

I am a fan of game wrinkles like recruits. But it is harder to balance

the knowledge of a SK definitely ups the game theory quotient for night stuff
OTOH if there are 2 kills n1 it's almost certainly a SK. If there are also 2 kills night 2 it's like 99.99 percent that it's a SK. No one should have been seriously considering a V

I think it's probably fine, but the mafia powers might have been a little OP. I tend to have a GFH if there is a GF.

I don't think you even realized it, but you were the recruit lol (Notre Dame)
I actually read my role and thought I was Indy. Then I saw I was civ and was sad

Loved seeing after game that I was recruitable

Also d14 when making closed games you have to also throw in enough vanilla for both balance and to keep everyone from just telling their powers in some sort of power off

OTOH if there are 2 kills n1 it's almost certainly a SK. If there are also 2 kills night 2 it's like 99.99 percent that it's a SK. No one should have been seriously considering a V
yeah but for mafia you're outthinking yourself on what the SK is gonna do

Also d14 when making closed games you have to also throw in enough vanilla for both balance and to keep everyone from just telling their powers in some sort of power off
~Half of the game being vanilla isn't enough for that?

Musabaha appears to be chunky hummus which sounds great, but am I missing something? I love chickpeas.

Sorry I almost murdered you Diggler.

Also Diggler pretty much nailed my whole approach to the game.

Back