• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Malaysian Airline Flight MH370

I've been at airport bars where people have gotten drunk and realized they missed their boarding/flight. Seems like it would be a pretty rare occurrence though unless the line for security took ages.

Yeah, I thought 5 seemed like a lot but maybe security was crazy.

This happened to me a few weeks ago. I was with 7 other folks from work, we were supposed to fly to Orlando for a meeting- as we were about to board we got a call that our meeting was cancelled- we all ended up not boarding, some of our bags made it off the plane in time, some (including mine) didn't. We were surprised you could have a bag sent along without boarding the plane nowadays.

yep, happened to me a few years ago on business. i was leaving Dulles on a flight that was so badly delayed that i would miss my connection at O'Hare. we decided it made more sense to stay and do the mtg. via call, so i went home but they couldn't get the bag off. bag went to O'Hare and was returned to me the next day.

Ahh both make sense. I was thinking about delays but not in the sense of a flight being so delayed that people decide not to board the first flight so their bags make it on the plane but they don't.

People miss flights all the time. Happens a lot.

ITK is correct - major pieces of wreckage from the Air France plane were found very soon after it crashed. The majority of the wreckage and the black box/FDR were found over the next two years. I've been watching a lot of coverage of this and don't remember CNN saying it took two years to find the wreck.

This seems truly unprecedented in modern aviation. It is amazing to me that no trace of the plane or its contents has been found yet. It seems impossible that it didn't go down in the ocean. They must just not be looking in the right place.

I double dog dare betcha it was them middle east blacks behind this thar terroristic plot

I reckon most likely a family member of our muslim usuper, Obamie!!

GOD NAMMIT!!!!!

I saw this line and wondered how often this happens:

"Five passengers ended up not boarding the aircraft. Their bags were removed and were not on board the jet when it disappeared, Rahman said at Monday's briefing."

Does this happen a lot? People get their bags on the plane but then don't take the flight?

You didn't think Final Destination was just making shit up, did you?

Now family members are calling folks on the plane and the phones are connecting but not getting picked up. Conspiracy theories gaining serious momentum.

Now family members are calling folks on the plane and the phones are connecting but not getting picked up. Conspiracy theories gaining serious momentum.

stick with fellating bz and wellman!

People are just now trying to call family members? huh?

How come black box info isn't just live streamed and saved to a cloud somewhere? Does it really need to be saved exclusively to the hardware in the plane?

How come black box info isn't just live streamed and saved to a cloud somewhere? Does it really need to be saved exclusively to the hardware in the plane?

That would be a shit ton of mostly useless data to be pumping through satellite connections considering the number of flights in the air at any given time.

A quick hashtag search of #MH370 led me to this gem of an article:

http://www.naturalnews.com/044244_Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_370_vanished.html#

My favorite part:

The inescapable conclusion is that Flight 370 simply vanished in some way that we do not yet understand. This is what is currently giving rise to all sorts of bizarre-sounding theories across the 'net, including discussions of possible secret military weapons tests, Bermuda Triangle-like ripples in the fabric of spacetime, and even conjecture that non-terrestrial (alien) technology may have teleported the plane away.

Personally, I'm not buying any of that without a lot more evidence.

YEAH! You'll have to do better than aliens coming down from space and just teleporting random airplanes away to fool this guy, conspiracy theorists! He isn't buying that bologna without a lot more evidence to back it up. PERIOD.

A quick hashtag search of #MH370 led me to this gem of an article:

http://www.naturalnews.com/044244_Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_370_vanished.html#

My favorite part:

YEAH! You'll have to do better than aliens coming down from space and just teleporting random airplanes away to fool this guy, conspiracy theorists! He isn't buying that bologna without a lot more evidence to back it up. PERIOD.

Oh man. I shouldn't have stopped reading to post that before I read the final two paragraphs of the article. This is gold.

The frightening part about all this is not that we will find the debris of Flight 370; but rather that we won't. If we never find the debris, it means some entirely new, mysterious and powerful force is at work on our planet which can pluck airplanes out of the sky without leaving behind even a shred of evidence.

If there does exist a weapon with such capabilities, whoever control it already has the ability to dominate all of Earth's nations with a fearsome military weapon of unimaginable power. That thought is a lot more scary than the idea of an aircraft suffering a fatal mechanical failure.

That would be a shit ton of mostly useless data to be pumping through satellite connections considering the number of flights in the air at any given time.

i feel like someone could use that data for research purposes

You would have to be stupider than Forest Gump to think that you could plane crashes using statistics. SOME things can't be mesasured with stats.

Agreed. And it would still prevent the problem of having to sift through wreckage to find out what happened.

The instrument data is small potatoes. The bandwidth killer would be the multiple sources of the live audio from each plane, which has no research purposes. Satellite technology could certainly support it in theory, but it would likely require putting a lot more satellites in orbit (for world-wide coverage and to deal streaming audio from 60K+ flights per day) or inventing a new technology all together, and the cost for all of that bandwidth would be immense.

Edit: Seems the industry has looked into it and come to the same conclusion:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-black-boxes-dont-transmit-data-in-real-time/

Last edited:
Back